DX18 undercarriage set-up - HELP!

Paul Marsh

Can someone help me to set up Gear on my DX18? I can't seem to get the gear channel active, even though I've used Switch A, but the position stays null. I can do the DX8, ok, just works straight away, but so far failed to get gear working at all, Flaps ok, I just wonder if I'm missing something.

Thanks

The DX18QQ which I've got has the monitor, but can't get ch 5 to work at all. Assigning flaps in the setup menu automatically gets aux 1 to work, but so far haven't used gear on the 18.

The Hitec Aurora 9 is so much easier to setup, more logical than the DX18, although the 18 is a nice set, apart from the above.

This is a very unacademic answer but I recall someone had a similar problem with a DX9 which has the same software. I can't find it as the thread is over 600 pages now....smile o

Anyway, I believe this may have occurred if you have set a mix or channel assignment which is preventing the gear channel from working as expected. It may be worth going back a few stages in your programming and see if this Gear channel re-activates.

Pete

Hi Paul

Never had an issue with the Parkone P-47D.

What's the rest of the setup? Wing type, single servo? Flaps, single servo? And tail setup? Etc and what's plugged into what channel in the RX?

And I'll have a look on my DX18 and see if I can replicate.

Other way I've done setups is to modify one of the models in the Spectrum DX18 setups you can download from the spektrum website.....makes life easier....

James

It might be the receiver...

I remember one receiver, wish I could find it now.

It basically says it is 6 channel but the second aileron output is basically a Y lead inside the receiver so I ended up moving the other side aileron to what would have effectively been the gear. Maybe someone has a better explanation than I have.

have you another receiver you can try it with?

Ok, Paul, let's just check a few things. Go to the Monitor screen. Is 'Ger' shown as one of the channels? Operate the gear switch. Does the bug move from one end of the scale to the other/

Go to Channel assign in the System Setup Menu.

In Rx Port Assignments, is Port 5 shown as GEAR:Gear?

Go to the next screen, Channel Input Config. Channel 5 should show GEAR:A

If all those setting apply, the Gear switch should indeed operate the retracts....

Bear in mind I'm doing this on the DX9 which should be similar, if not identical.....

Pete

Was thinking of buying the DX9 to replace myDX8, but not sure, now. The logic seems illogical, and I'm not dumb, either, but it beats me.sad

Also tried to import a model using retracts from the DX8 memory card, but the model memories are not interchangeable from DX8/Dx18, so no point in getting the DX9, unless I can get that to work on the 18.

Edited By Paul Marsh on 20/12/2013 12:12:39

I've got a DX9 and my first thoughts are these ...

Go into the system menus and make sure you have the correct Aircraft Type selected (one servo for ailerons) - (This is not the same as Acro/Heli/Sail - that would be model type).

Then go into Channel Assign and make sure the gear is assigned to the channel you want to use.

Stuff like this will never be right in the Model sub-screens if it is not set up correctly in the main system settings, but if it's set up correctly there, everything clicks into place properly in the Model sub screens. I've had models that took me a while to sus all this out, so I hope this helps.

Then I think I'd be looking for either a fault in the receiver or a faulty Switch A. I've got two models with retracts, both on AR600 (6-channel) receivers and both worked instantly on the Gear Channel on Switch A without any programming at all apart from assigning Switch A to the Gear. (DX9).

Have you tried assigning Switch A to any other channel and/or operation to see if it works?

Hi Paul

Just been through the set up and was about to suggest what has been said above. Set up a new model on the TX to test.

Only other thing that i can suggest is to turn on the TX whilst holding down the Clear and the Back Buttons. This brings up the Raw Input Test Screen, It lists the switches and the trims etc, When moving the switches it will change the value. If the value doesn't move then there is a fault.

There is a post on that topic for the DX8 from within the forum HERE - first post explains it.

This is a separate screen to the calibration one.

James

Posted by Paul Marsh on 20/12/2013 09:44:19:

Done all that. All that happens is the switch a alarm sounds when the tx is turned on, but the monitor doesn't move on ch 5, whatever I do.

I haven't got a Dx18 but on my Dx6i the gear switch is used for stunt mode in heli mode, if I switch on with it in the wrong position I get an alarm warning me.

My DX18 is faulty - must be. Paul H from here gave me his .SPX file for his retract Mustang, which works ok on his. When I put it on my DX18, does nothing, the same as I set it up. Not a happy person. Basically my DX18 is quite useless in it's current configuration.

Looks like either a fault or software error, which I will be contacting Horizon, as my DX18QQ is only good for basic models, which my ancient JR X-347 does much better for a 20+ year old set.

• 11 months later...

Update:

Installed the latest firmware, and now the DX18 works as it should. The problem listed above has now been resolved and gained an additional 200 model memories.

Looks like it was a program error, not a mechanical one and although bought a DX9 so that I could use flaps, at least I have almost infinate model memories now. 750 total on the 3 Spektrum Tx's, alone.

Edited By Paul Marsh on 29/11/2014 10:27:31

Ben, if you go to www.spektrumrc.com you can set up an account, and register your transmitter(s). You can then download any software updates/model files that are available.

One thing that does annoy me is that when you register, you use your email address, but they don't automatically let you know there are updates available, you have to check yourself periodically. sad

Edited By Essjay on 29/11/2014 15:33:19