Masher's Mini Jazz Blog

Masher

Advert

After a frenzied attack on the endless list of things to do, I am nearly done. Just needs final set-up and engine running plus C of G.

Whilst I like things to be done well, there comes a time when good enough will do! I wasted a day on various cowls and got nowhere. Made a wooden plug but couldn't get vacuum forming to work over whole shape. Then tried the balsa build in situ technique and ended up with some sort of mess so - who needs a cowl!!!!

Here are my attempts:

failed cowls.jpg

So put a bit of a scheme on, fitted all linkages and radio, tank etc and here we are:

fini 1.jpg

Might do some more lettering on otherside. Obviously the semi-quavers should be dotted - but hey.

fini 2.jpg

fini 3.jpg

And the underside was straightened up a bit and tail wheel crafted and fitted.

finished underside.jpg

So now need to get away from it for a few days then check everything out and then get ready to try it out. Our field is unusable at the moment so I'll have a bit of an excuse not to maiden just yet. Unlike Kevin, I won't be doing a double mass build because I now get back to my Charger biplane followed by the Avicraft Mini Moronic (this will be my only electric plane) then finish the Magnatilla in the corner followed by..................

Doing this build log has made me realise a few things:

• I admire those who have the patience to put really detailed blogs together, especially the photos
  • It's nice to get some feedback otherwise you wonder - why? I will make an effort just to recognise others work in future
  • Keeping a record (or at least posting the odd update) highlights the amount of work involved in a plan build! We moan about ARTF's but they are easy by comparison!
  • The mass build is a great idea and a first time for me. I suspect though that the effect has been diluted somewhat by having multiple model choices
  • I now have to get the mini jazz sorted, test flown and trimmed but then wait until Greenacres - don't want to break it too early
  • My next one will be better!

That`s looking good Masher.

I to opted for the no cowl, less to worry about and cooling not an issue.yes

I was hoping to maiden mine today, but the weather gods decreed otherwise. Next weekend I have a long weekend so 3 days to choose from.

Have you weighed yours? Mine came out slightly heavier than I hoped for at 2.11 Lb.Target weight was 2 lb dead.

By comparison my MKI Jazz is 2.86 Lb.

Kev

Thanks chaps.

I will weigh mine tomorrow Kev, it feels light but I have no idea what it actually weighs. I have used cyano throughout (another first for me) and apart from the fuselage doublers over the wing, I've resisted beefing up. The built up back end is very light so I'm hoping the C of G works well.

Good luck with the maiden - I'll race to you to it! I went to our field in the week and whilst I had some flights, my model (WOT 4 ic) was completely covered in mud and I was actually sinking as I was flying! Not enjoyable and certainly not maiden flight conditions.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks John.

It would be fine in electric form and I don't think you need to change it except for the doublers. I think it's important to follow the designer's advice and get the right grade of balsa.

I'm just completing an Avicraft Moronic as an electric version and in hindsight wish I'd just built 2 of the Mini-Jazz

If you do one, just get the wood and plan, I can't see any need for the CNC pack - especially when it seems that you have to join sheet for the fuselage when in practice in can be cut from one 4" sheet

• 2 weeks later...

Well, when Kevin reported back after one of his Mini Jazz maidens, he upset the formatting police by using very large text for WOW! All I have to say is WOW!

After a morning of flying the Killer Watt I went home for lunch feeling that things were "back to normal". Whilst it was windy and a bit cold, the strip has dried out and it is even possible to taxi to the strip (nobody else there so this is allowed!). Got itchy feet again after lunch and thought - time for Mini Jazz maiden.

Back at the field it was too windy really and now colder but...............

Did the range check and run up the 15 engine for first time in years - all Ok.

Did final checks and let rip.

WOW! First minute was a bit scary due to need for lot of left aileron trim, some down and the need to throttle back. Once trimmed, I had a blast and whilst the wind was a bit rough, the flight was great fun and without stress. Stall was the proverbial non-event, rolls and inverted fine - then we are about out of my repertoire! Then after about 6mins thought I better try and get down - again because of the wind straight up the strip, the landing was perfect (well for me that is!).

Two more flights and now I feel like it's an old favourite - I think this plane can get me in to trouble!

So if you are feeling left out of the mass build, you could do a lot worse than the Mini Jazz - looks good, flies well, cheap and quick to build what more could you want?

I haven't mastered taking in flight photos yet so here is one after maiden.

In the final set up, I added a balsa cowl and needed a bit of weight at the front. I think the weight can be reduced now because a fair amount of down was needed for inverted

field3.jpg

field 4.jpg

Well done that man.

You beat me to it by a long way.

Going to be a couple of MONTHS now before I can do my maiden. Why? Well our old site on an old WWII airfield is now no longer available to us after the construction of 4 massive wind turbines. They have been dormant for the last few weeks but are now in full swing.

The good news is that our new grass field should be ready my the end of April beginning of May.

Kev

Cheers Kev, shame about your site but at least you've already had Mini Jazz experience.

I've already realised I need to do a mod on mine. The plane easily fits in the car in one piece but then I have to take it to bits to get at the charge plug so need to get combined switch/charge unit or find another way of getting external access to charge

Got some flying done today. Weather perfect, no wind, sun in the right place, no need for a big coat, shared the field with first new lambs, shared the sky with a dozen buzzards and nobody else at the pitch!? Perfect opportunity to get used to the Mini Jazz.

Made the proverbial of the first landing - needed the whole strip but it's a bog at the bottom so ripped off the U/C as it sank in. I had only used small self tappers so need to sort something better. Did 4x10min flights from hand launch which suits it well - as long as the engine isn't on full chat (it goes straight up!). Only snag is my exhaust comes out on the underside so acts as a plough in the soft strip on landing.

I don't think this is a beginners plane and I'm sure that a better flyer than me could really put it through its paces however fantastic fun. I know this model will make me do silly things that I am not capable of! Came out on top at the end of the session and only issue, apart from U/C, was when I accidently put full rates on Aileron - Wow many fast rolls!

I have sourced some neat sockets to allow external charging whilst leaving the wing on and need to fit this plus sort the U/C. The alternative is to leave U/C off but then I have to re-mount the engine.

I have also received my Greenacres uniform from Eliteworkwear (a very efficient, friendly company with good quality products BTW) and am ready to go. I see the Barnstormer boys are talking about orange tee shirts for identification - unfortunately there don't seem to be many Mini Jazz builders so perhaps we will be the Billy no mates boys in the corner?

Edited By Masher on 01/03/2014 13:10:37