Spektrum module for Taranis

Chris Bott - Moderator

I test flew with this 'new' module in a Taranis (Plus) yesterday, previously I had been using a 9X with the SKY board upgrade. All worked as well as before. Still using ersky9x firmware. I'm looking at getting the module driver code imported into openTx.

Same model, with the Lemon stabiliser receiver. All 8 channels work. On the Taranis I set the left slider up to control the master gain on channel 8, as well as mixing in throttle on channel 8 so the gain reduced as I increased the throttle above half.

Mike.

Advert

• 1 month later...

I finally got around to making up my DSMX module... things take time at my house!

Here are my photographs

dsmx1.jpg

dsmx2.jpg

With the DX5 module installed, held in place with a couple of layers of thick double sided tape.

dsmx3.jpg

dsmx4.jpg

Finally assembled thumbs up

dsmx5.jpg

It is just after midnight so I have only done a quick bind test to an AR400 but it all seemed to work ok, bound instantly and wiggling the sticks made the servo's move.

Will do a proper range test tomorrow or Monday but I feeling quite pleased with myself

Edited By WolstonFlyer on 31/05/2015 00:16:20

• 3 months later...

I have an empty Corona JR-style module case, just like the one on Chris's opening post...

Its up for grabs if anyone wants it.

Cheers
Phil

PS forgot to say, no charge for it

By the way, for those who dislike waste, the guts of Chris's Corona module shown in his 3rd post live on and are in regular use in one of Doug Campbells single-channel sets!

Edited By Phil Green on 25/09/2015 19:06:26

• 1 month later...
Posted by Phil Green on 25/09/2015 19:01:56:

I have an empty Corona JR-style module case, just like the one on Chris's opening post...

Its up for grabs if anyone wants it.

Cheers
Phil

PS forgot to say, no charge for it

No takers, so still up for grabs, one empty Corona JR-style case exactly like Chris's in his 3rd post.
Free to a good home.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi Gary,

Got the same problem. Mine won't bind with any DMX receiver.

Have checked the receivers which will bind with a DX8. So the receivers are OK.

Trying an AR400 receiver using DSM2 - DSMX setting on the Taranis plus.

Anyone know if there has been a change in the TX firmware that could be causing this issue?

There has been no sign of the module I tested coming on the market, and I have had not response from the manufacturer for many months, so I've given up on that.

Hovever, over on RcGroups there is a DIY project for a "MULTI" module that include DSM2/X, see: **LINK**.

What I've done is take the firmware from this and ported it to the Orange DSM module(s). This results in a DSM module that supports telemetry, and the communication to the module is high speed serial not PPM. You also get things like BIND and Range Check in the same way as with a XJT module.

The biggest problem is the processor on the Orange module is an Atmel XMEGA device that needs a specific programmer. I've managed to build a suitable programming function into ersky9x, but currently the Taranis hardware isn't suitable to carry out the operation, it does work on the 9XR-PRO, and the 9Xtreme and AR9X upgrade boards for the 9X. I am looking into what might be possible on the Taranis with some extra circuitry, and also looking at using a small Arduino for the operation.

The reflashed module is fully working on the Taranis using ersky9x firmware, including teleemtry. Multi protocol support is being added to openTx and I'm asking if the telemetry will also be added.

Forther details are here: **LINK**.

Mike.

Posted by WolstonFlyer on 27/05/2016 08:39:28:
I have the sam DX5e module and it works perfectly. Have you set the Internary RF module to off and enabled the external module slot and set it to DSMX ?

Yes, Internal off, External set to DSM2 - DSMX

Press Bind, = flashing + beeping

Receiver powered up with bind jumper

No sign of binding. The receiver does bind to my DX8 so the RX is good.

Just updated from 2.1.7 to 2.1.8 to see if changed things. Still no go!

Any other ideas?

Is there a way of checking that there is some RF output from the module?

There is a signal on the diode input to it and the 3.3v is Ok.

All suggestions gratefully received.

The only difference with my setup is that I 3D printed a carrying handle for the TX (replacing the metal one) and used the DX4 TX aerial embedded in it so the TX doesn't look like a porcupine!

This did mean drilling a hole for the aerial to pass through the module housing and another near one of the screw holes for the handle fixing. This allowed the aerial wire to go internally, up the handle and along inside the top horizontal portion for the business end (the handle is in two pieces with a front and back which screw together to allow the aerial to be fitted in it).

also added a small rectangular LED in the handle so it is visible from the front.

If anyone's interested, I can send them the handle design.

Posted by Mike Blandford on 27/05/2016 10:35:11:

There has been no sign of the module I tested coming on the market, and I have had not response from the manufacturer for many months, so I've given up on that.

Hovever, over on RcGroups there is a DIY project for a "MULTI" module that include DSM2/X, see: **LINK**.

What I've done is take the firmware from this and ported it to the Orange DSM module(s). This results in a DSM module that supports telemetry, and the communication to the module is high speed serial not PPM. You also get things like BIND and Range Check in the same way as with a XJT module.

The biggest problem is the processor on the Orange module is an Atmel XMEGA device that needs a specific programmer. I've managed to build a suitable programming function into ersky9x, but currently the Taranis hardware isn't suitable to carry out the operation, it does work on the 9XR-PRO, and the 9Xtreme and AR9X upgrade boards for the 9X. I am looking into what might be possible on the Taranis with some extra circuitry, and also looking at using a small Arduino for the operation.

The reflashed module is fully working on the Taranis using ersky9x firmware, including teleemtry. Multi protocol support is being added to openTx and I'm asking if the telemetry will also be added.

Forther details are here: **LINK**.

Mike.

Wow that sounds like a lot of hard work Mike. What a shame about the manufacturer.

So, how many channels does the orangeTx module end up with?

Not too much work as I already had code for the Orange DSM telemetry module and this one worked in a similar fashion. I got a couple of modules from them so my time wasn't completely wasted.

The Orange Tx module handles up to 14 channels. I've checked it with a 10-channel Lemon DSM2 Rx, a Lemon stabiliser Rx (8 channels) with Lemon Telemetry, and a AR6210. The required mode DSM2/DSMX and number of channels is set in the protocol in the radio and the module automatically changes to match the model selected.

Mike.

There is a very definite problem with the Taranis if it is too close to the receiver. You notice it with the telemetry and binding, but I've also had it on a chuck foamy where one aileron went full lock on takeoff. As soon as the range increased a fraction, it was fine.

This problem will also occur, I'm sure if using a wireless buddy system and the master and slave get too close together.

Hmmm.