Spektrum module for Taranis

Chris Bott - Moderator

Moving on, then, the module has been screwed together and said testing has begun.

So far so good, bind has been achieved with both an Orange DSM2 receiver and a Spektrum DSMX one.
No problems, no drama, it just worked. But then, it is a bog standard Spektrum RF module that worked perfectly while it was inside a DX4e transmitter case.

spek13.jpg

spek14.jpg

spek15.jpg

Oh and just for a giggle:-

spek12.jpg

Interesting this, as I was led to believe, the RF box is from a DX4e, it's label says DX5e but it actually transmits six channels.

These follow each other sequentially, but in the Taranis the sequence for either RF module can be set to start at any channel number.

So, there are many options. With the internal Frsky RF unit off, the Spekky module can simply transmit Ch1-6 as a standard 6Ch Tx.

With the internal module switched on though, it could if I wish, transmit Ch1-6 alongside the internal unit. In this case, there would be two separate RF links to the model ensuring a system of redundancy.

Or the internal module could be set to use say an 8 Ch rx, and transmit Ch1-8. While the Spekky module could be set to transmit say Ch9-14. A model could be flown using an Frsky RF link for flying controls, and the spekky link could be used to control ancillaries such as bomb doors, lighting, the pilot waving - whatever.

This is of course the case if any other type of module is plugged in, the OrangeRX one or indeed another Frsky module. In the latter case, internal and external modules could transmit 16 channels each!

Hi John, that's fine it's a good question. I'm probably not the best placed here to answer though.

Regulations have certainly tightened up. I think the most pertinent regulations applying here all revolve around not causing interference to others, and not transmitting above the regulation power. As long as you comply to these, then I think there are no other issues.

I do actually have access to a facility where I can test this unit alongside an off the shelf Spektrum transmitter. I'll certainly be able to compare the two for power and spurious transmissions.

I think in the past, that a design had to be verified by thorough testing, but after that, the design could be published in a magazine or sold as a kit. I'm more than happy to be corrected on this of course.

It's curious that transmitters are the one item that always seems to be singled out by the suck between the teeth brigade. I used to fly happily using 35Mhz receivers I'd built myself and no one ever batted an eyelid about safety.

I guess the one difference is, that a transmitter could potentially bring down other models, this was the case on 27 and 35Mhz. However I think this possibility is vanishingly small to impossible with today's 2.4Ghz technology.

Interesting completely, well nearly, off topic statement. At the Barkston Christmas event a few weeks ago, young Dickie Scarborough asked at the pilots briefing if anybody was on 35 Mhz, and off the 200 modellers there, not one was on 35Mhz. Of all the warbird and scale events I have been to that was the first time I have seen that.

Sorry Chris, back to you wink 2

Posted by Pete B - Moderator on 20/01/2014 23:13:08:

Never built one myself but I think Micron built a business on home-built radio gear, didn't they?

Pete

They did and when I first got interested in flying model aeroplanes when I neared retirement I built my own transmitter and a number of receivers. It came naturally to me because of my background as an electronics design engineer.

I use an Orange JR compatible module with my Taranis which, according to the instruction sheet generates both DSM2 and DSMX formats. I only use it for BnF models (EFlite Blade helis and a Parkzone Vapor) which I use for Winter indoor flying. I think they're all DSM2.

I also use a FlySky module which binds perfectly well with my WL models V911 helicopter also for indoor use. Not had any issues at all once I found out how the bind process worked.

For more serious (ie outdoor) flying I use FrSky receivers only.

I do find it odd that it's only the electronic element of our pastime come under scrutiny if any owner mods are carried out when people seem quite happy for own design and/or own built models are happily accepted. I've seen more failures due to airframe problems than I have transmitter/receiver ones. In fact most electronic problems are servo failures, I find.

Geoff

A long time ago in a galaxy far far away...... No no thats another story. Back when valves were used for the Tx & Rx and they were rarely crystal controlled. Carrier wave was the main form of transmission with the occasional tone Tx and recievers were super regen types with a relay. The Tx o/p would be spread across a large part of the 27mHz band and the Rx selectivity was so poor that only one system could operate at a time. Yes we just used to build and use. Was involved with Micron for a time as one of the people who got sent the kits to fix that builders couldn't get working. But, the radio spectrum was not so conjested as it is now. Been into RC since before RCM&E started in April 1960 and radio since the mid 50's. Back then adults would give a surprised look to see a 7 year old building a valve radio, still would, I supose.

All this talk of the past has made me feel older than I usually do!crying

The module has had it's maiden coollaugh

I gave up on the range check at 40 paces, then gently flew an EPP wing. Close in to start with, then in ever increasing circuits and heights.

This is a tough mode,l that I use for radio tests, because by chance all the LED lights on it start flashing if it loses signal from the Tx. This was not by design, but just a feature of the R/C on off switch I used for the lights.

Suffice to say that everything went without a hitch. The model got to a height where I could only just see orientation, and the lights stayed solid. No glitches, no issues.

I have to say that the Tx felt very nice too.

I even gave "Instant Trim" a bit of a workout too. An interesting feature this. Especially as I never know how much reflex to dial in on this flying wing.

Just hold the model straight and level, which took some up and a little left, hit the switch, and it will be trimmed. Of course you have to be pretty sharp to let the sicks go back to centre, but it really works. Well it gets you very close, with the odd click needed to get things spot on.

(They tell you to disable the feature once the model is trimmed. I can see why too. Hold it in a turn and hit the switch, and we're suddenly out of trim again. Unless you want it to sit in an ever tightening turn! Still, it's easy enough to correct again)

So there we have it.
The Spekky module will be used for small light models for a good while yet while I gain confidence. Models I'm more attached to will still be flown with the DX8 or with Taranis and Frsky receivers. I will slowly be gathering Frsky airborne kit. But in the meantime, I have some flexibility, and won't always have to take two transmitters to a session.

• 2 weeks later...
Posted by Brian Hammond on 30/01/2014 15:21:26:

Is there a module available to use my Futaba fast Rx,s?

I don't believe so Brian.

I know of one that transmits Spektrum DSM2, and will fit in a Futaba transmitter, but that's not you want.

You'd need a module described as transmitting FASST, but fitting into a JR shaped module slot.

I'd say that it's likely that the internals from one of these could possibly be built into a different case and be used. But I really don't know.

Any other ideas?

I thought briefly about a module, but then worked out if I sold my receivers i'd make enough from the second hand values to replace ALL my spektrum ones with the stupidly cheap Frsky ones. That said this thread has proven immensely useful for when I want some BNF micro that has to have a DSM2 Tx!

• 4 weeks later...

Hi WF

I've put more details including a wiring diagram in this thread . There are plenty of comments from others there too.

Just for anyone contemplating doing this, I'd only attempt this if your electronics desoldering/soldering skills are up to scratch. Remember it's a critical link in the safety of any model it's used for.

Note, that the 5 pin connector that is part of the Corona module is easily broken away from it's PCB, take great care with this, and re-solder as necessary.

Having said that, I'll be really interested to see how you get on.

Cheers
Chris

Hi Chris, fascinating project and well done! As one who is considering buying a Taranis system but still has too many Spektrum RX's to be able to afford to change them all to the native system, I have to ask a possibly dumb question. Does the Taranis TX have to have the open source software installed for this mod to work or will the factory software work ok?

Thanks, Chris

Posted by C Norton on 26/02/2014 19:54:19:

Hi Chris, fascinating project and well done! As one who is considering buying a Taranis system but still has too many Spektrum RX's to be able to afford to change them all to the native system, I have to ask a possibly dumb question. Does the Taranis TX have to have the open source software installed for this mod to work or will the factory software work ok?

Thanks, Chris

Chris the Taranis native software is the open source stuff.

They have been very cute and cut out the huge development costs, and built the Taranis around the software. Which works very well indeed, as they haven't limited any functions to make it fit into a price point like other manufacturers seem to.

• 9 months later...

Hi everyone I realise this is a old thread, however.

I have been flying for about a year know. My first and only TR is Dx6i. Unfortunately I lost a model using it. People from my club gave me the not surprised speech.

So I have ordered a taranis. Although I intend to replace my orange receivers I,still have a fair few on indoor models etc on spectrum can you buy this module pre built?

appreciate any help