Spektrum module for Taranis

Chris Bott - Moderator

I use the orange DSM2 module from HK for BNF a few perkily models and a Trex 250. I've found it works fine. The only issue is that you will need to manually alter the mode of the module so that it correlates with the model.

My MCPX binds in DSMX and my Trex in DSM2 - so I need to change the mode of the module when switching between the models. That is done by pressing the bind button three times and the unit cycles through the three available modes.

Range isn't enormous - but fine for park fly stuff and foamies.

I'm not sure if Chris is around so I hope he doesn't mind me chipping in...

Yes the OrangeRx module will work in the Taranis, but it doesn't integrate with the Taranis firmware, it is just a dumb module and takes no part in model-match etc, the only link between the Taranis and the OrangeRx module is PPM which carries no intelligence other than channel positions.

The point of Chris's thread is to create a module which does talk native Spektrum protocol with the Taranis, and therefore integrates fully into the Taranis system, its menus and controls. As a solution for DSM2 and DSMX it is a far superior setup. As far as I'm aware there is no commercial equivalent of Chris's module.

The OrangeRx modules are full power, full range modules, If you're getting anything less, there is something wrong, maybe the aerial, possibly at the rx end, maybe (unlikely) a module fault - but a healthy OrangeRx module paired with a decent rx and installation is good for several kilometres. Its not a 'park' system as such.

Finally it would be most unusual for a module/rx combination to lose bind. This would mean the eeprom contents were lost or corrupted. Some refer to a dropped link or a reluctance to link as a lost bind - almost certainly it isn't!

Cheers
Phil

Edited By Phil Green on 28/11/2014 20:11:59

The OrangeRx module is only available from the HK international warehouse and therein lies the problem. I've just ordered and recieved one for a friend. The total cost, at the then exchange rate, was £21.91(inc post). This put it above the £15 limit and it attracted the import VAT of £3.73 plus the Post Office fee of £8, total £11.73. This increases the cost to a total of £33.64. So, not so cheap but not that bad as it does DSM2 and DSMX. They work fine in the Taranis and automatically detect the Rx best mode(DSM2/DSMX @1024/2048) on initial bind. But, once bound you have to manually change the module mode if moving between DSM2/DSMX with different model Rx.

HTH

Hi Phil, yes I'm around and I certainly don't mind at all. You hit the nail squarely on the head about the advantages.

I've read reports (that I can't confirm or otherwise) that if you have a selection of different receivers and need to switch the OrangeRC module between DSM2 and DSMX, bind is lost from the previous type of receiver. This may or may not be true, but would certainly be an inconvenience.

There is another commercial option. The Spektrum DM9 (DSM2 only) module. If you can get one.
However I expect that this too only takes the PPM signal, so some features of using the self build module are lost.

As I said above, the bind is not lost but you do have to manually change the mode if changing between DSM2 and DSMX receivers. No big deal, just give the bind button three quick press and it moves to the next option in the rotation. On a point of correction there are 4 modes:- 1/ DSM2 at 1024, 2/ DSM2 at 2048, 3/ DSMX at 1024, 4/ DSMX at 2048. All this is from personal/practical experience as I have all the parts.

HTH

thanks!Posted by GONZO on 28/11/2014 20:49:36:

As I said above, the bind is not lost but you do have to manually change the mode if changing between DSM2 and DSMX receivers. No big deal, just give the bind button three quick press and it moves to the next option in the rotation. On a point of correction there are 4 modes:- 1/ DSM2 at 1024, 2/ DSM2 at 2048, 3/ DSMX at 1024, 4/ DSMX at 2048. All this is from personal/practical experience as I have all the parts.

HTH

Well you live and you learn! Bet that's why mine needs binding between models then.

Posted by Chris Bott - Moderator on 28/11/2014 20:38:48:

There is another commercial option. The Spektrum DM9 (DSM2 only) module. If you can get one.
However I expect that this too only takes the PPM signal, so some features of using the self build module are lost.

That's right Chris, the DM9 is just a dumb ppm module so would not integrate any differently to an OrangeRx module.

Further the DM9 has timing quirks which means the PPM pulse widths have to be changed to 400uS on the Taranis. This is a peculiarity of the DM9, in any other system the pulse width doesn't matter a jot, and shouldn't according to accepted ppm spec. The 'Gem' in my avatar is a DM9, I had loads of fun getting the channel timings right. Not!

Cheers
Phil

• 2 weeks later...
I just ordered 3 boards from OSH park and got an email saying expected manufacture is 17th Dec give or take a day depending on the rest of the production panel being filled with other projects.

I have also ordered the Spektrum Airwave case and that will be the expensive part of the project.

I will order the other components tomorrow and everything might arrive in time for a bit of an over Christmas electronics project!

• 3 months later...

How did you get on with your build Wolston Flyer?

I have sourced my board, module and case.

dscf0371.jpg

Looking around for the components is a bit of a nightmare. If you use the ones suggested by John Prikkle, they come to about £3. Postage on top of that is a whopping great £12.

Has any one been able to source the components at a cheaper price?

Kev

Edited By Kevin Fairgrieve on 08/04/2015 11:15:08

Posted by Kevin Fairgrieve on 08/04/2015 11:14:33:

Looking around for the components is a bit of a nightmare. If you use the ones suggested by John Prikkle, they come to about £3. Postage on top of that is a whopping great £12.

Other than the actual Spektrum module, there are no unusual components in Johns list Kevin, theres no reason to order from outside the UK - theyre readily available from any of the electronics suppliers like farnell, rs, rapid etc - hardly a 'nightmare' smiley

Ç

Just to jump in on this thread, I too have recently taken delivery of 3 PCB's and sourced a donor DX5E from a club member.

Need to sort case (have one of the T9Hobby ones on it's way, not sure if it's any good but it's cheap)

Haven't bothered about components yet, as Phil says, they are common (like me!)

I have only just taken the plunge with my Taranis actually using it on "real" models - just like the majority, I am totally hooked and love the general feel and performance. This will now be enhanced, I think, by adding one of these modules to allow continued use of some Spektrum receivers

I suppose we can't do any bulk purchase of components because it's the P+P that wrecks it all

PS very impressed with OSH Park PCB service - very efficient, will use them for my own designs in future

Edited By Masher on 08/04/2015 11:50:50

Hi Kev

I got all of the parts but have not actually soldered them together yet sad I must get on with things!

I used the component links on the blog and ordered enough for three complete boards from Mouser, they were delivered from the USA in a couple of days, a bit expensive but at least I know I got the right components!

This is what I ordered..

dsmx-parts1.jpg

dsmx-parts2.jpg

Posted by Phil Green on 08/04/2015 11:38:30:
Posted by Kevin Fairgrieve on 08/04/2015 11:14:33:

Other than the actual Spektrum module, there are no unusual components in Johns list Kevin, theres no reason to order from outside the UK - theyre readily available from any of the electronics suppliers like farnell, rs, rapid etc - hardly a 'nightmare' smiley

Ç

Indeed I have most of the components in stock. What I was alluding to was the postage. Why should a few small components that could be sent out in a small Jiffy Bag cost so much to post?

The £12.00 quoted was from the Mauser UK site.

Sorry should have said it was the postage that was the nightmare.

Kev

Posted by Kevin Fairgrieve on 08/04/2015 12:08:22:

Indeed I have most of the components in stock. What I was alluding to was the postage. Why should a few small components that could be sent out in a small Jiffy Bag cost so much to post?

The £12.00 quoted was from the Mauser UK site.

Sorry should have said it was the postage that was the nightmare.

Kev

Kev, it's because you're ordering them from the USA; Mouser's UK website is just that, the company you're dealing with are still in America.

I could easily find half a dozen UK suppliers for those parts, they're all run of the mill items.

For information, I've been working with a company developing a new, telemetry capable, DSM Tx module. I test flew with both the module and their telemetry unit yesterday with no problems.

I have support for this module working in a 9X Tx with the SKY upgrade board, the 9XR-PRO and the Taranis, all running the ersky9x open source firmware. It should be possible to support this module in openTx firmware.

At present the timescale to the availability of this module to purchase is unknown.

Mike.

Warning!

I have a orange slot in TX for my taranis. I have used it once. I lost all control of my carbon z cub. My pride and joy.

i have binned the orange unit and put a x8r in the repaired cub. Simple put I don't trust the unit. I would only use it if I were completely happy to loose control. Maybe a vapour indoor.

just my view though