Spektrum module for Taranis

Chris Bott - Moderator

Posted by Mike Blandford on 08/04/2015 18:28:43:

It supports both DSM2 and DSMX.

I've just been testing it and doing the support firmware for the radios, they have developed the module and its firmware.

My test flight yesterday was with a Lemon stabiliser Rx.

Mike.

But DSM2 is not compliant with the latest EU 2.4 standard, so it wouldn't be able to be certified for use in the EU.

Posted by Martin Rowe 1 on 08/04/2015 19:46:50:

Warning!

I have a orange slot in TX for my taranis. I have used it once. I lost all control of my carbon z cub. M

i have binned the orange unit and put a x8r in the repaired cub. Simply put I don't trust the unit.

just my view though

on the other hand, taking a balanced view, many thousands of these are in use without any problems at all.
Its particularly popular with the retro-RC lads for converting really old radios to modern spec.
Cheers
Phil

DX5e and DX4e's come up on ebay from time to time, usually because they were bundled with some sim or heli package. This one for example. I bought a new, unused DX5e for £15.
If you want DSMX as well as DSM2 make sure you're buying a later module.

Wait for a cheap one as you're throwing most of it away!

Edited By Phil Green on 13/04/2015 11:58:38

So I just finished building mine. I used all the components from Mauser, except for the TX Module obviously. The module I am using is a X1TXN that I pulled from a working DX7. I know that this will give me DSM2 only. The link to OSH Park clearly says for DX4e, DX5e, DX6i, MLP4DSM, X1TX0, X1TXN to Jr Module Adapter. So it should work!! The problem I have is that I can not bind anything to it. I have tried with my Parkzone BNF Mosquito and Corsair, along with a couple of AR6200 equiped models.

My radio is a Taranis model B, not a plus. It is running Open TX 2.0.15. Has any one any thoughts?

I should add that I have set the radio to DSM2 DSM2 in the setup.

Kev

Edited By Kevin Fairgrieve on 13/04/2015 18:02:14

Hi Kev

Sorry to hear this. The only place I've seen that X1TXN is compatible is that OSH Park page. Can you find that confirmed anywhere else?

I wonder if something has to be slightly different to use that module?
Maybe you can ask OSH Park or jprikkle?

Other than that, there are the usual electronics project faults to look for. Are all connections connecting properly? Are there any inadvertent shorts (those module pins are very close together). Do you have all components in the right way round - including capacitors.

Can you check that you have 3.3V in the right place on the spekky module?

Edited By Chris Bott - Moderator on 13/04/2015 19:27:32

Hi Chris.

I suspect it is the module that is the issue here. Every other build I have seen is using a module from either a DX4 or % of the DSMX variety.

I have placed a comment on John Prikkel`s blog, but for the life of me can not see it now!!

All soldering good, Checked under a magnifying light. No shorts and all components correctly inserted,

I will check for 3.3V later. I just need a break from this as it is beginning to get very frustrating.

Kev

Heard back from John Prikkel.

"Sorry, I didn't know they marked some of the dx7 modules as X1TXN too. That label is on dx5 and dx6's. I haven't tried anything higher than a dx6. There must be a firmware difference on the module. Open TX may not support 7 channels with DSM2. Do you have another module to try and test? How many pins are used on the module inside the dx7? Can you post a picture? Was it working before removal? If it was and you can't get it working, I can try it out or buy it from you to test."

So it would seem that my particular module is a no go for this mod.

Another message.

"I quickly looked at the OpenTX and er9x source code. Both seems to be fixed at 6 channels. That makes some sense, since most modules are from dx4, dx5, and dx6's which all support six channels. You could try to recompile the firmware yourself. You could also post a question on the OpenTX site. Someone may compile it for you. Below is the line of code from OpenTX firmware.

#define DSM2_CHANS 6 <----- This would need to change

Here is the file:

https://code.google.com/p/opentx/source/browse/trunk/src/protocols/dsm2_arm.cpp?spec=svn2853&r=2853

Let us know how it goes. Thanks! Don't give up. "

No chance of me doing anything with the source code as I have 100% no idea what to do with it.

Now on the lookout for a dirt cheap DX4e or DX5e for a DSMX module.

Kev

Just an opinion but I'm surprised to hear that Spektrum have different module firmware in different radios.
Of course the encoder firmware is different, as every model has different switches, pots, #channels, etc
but having different firmware within the RF module itself seems odd...

On the other hand, the 4,5 and 6 are all 6-channel sets so maybe the module in the 7 is indeed different.

Only thinking aloud here, obviously the opentx boys are way, way ahead of us

Cheers
Phil

For information I've been testing a prototype DSM2/X Tx module (JR mechanics). This module uses a serial protocol between itself and the main radio firmware and supports telemetry, as well as up to 14 channels.

I have full support for this module in ersky9x firmware working on a SKY board in a 9X, a 9XR-PRO and the Taranis.

Currently I don't know when it might be available to purchase, but I have flown successfully with it using a Lemon stabilising receiver (DSMX) and a telemetry unit from the same source as the Tx module. I had over 60 paces range on the ground in range check mode, and no problems in flight. I had the telemetry unit (which doubles as a satelite I understand) monitoring the flight pack voltage.

Mike.

Personally Masher, I think it's a very interesting development and welcome all of Mike's posts on it.

The info may well help someone decide to hold off making their own module, for instance.

Of note in this post too, is support for up to 14 channels.

Mike, does this fact help Kevin at all? How would he go about making his 7 channel module work with Taranis?
i.e. Does Taranis have to put out exactly 7 channels for his to work?

Oh that's great news Kev. I'm glad you have.

I'm the same, there's no real point in more channels as the FrSky receivers have that covered.

I have just one application for more channels of Spektrum. That's to use a Lemon Rx / Stabiliser.

It's a cracking little unit and very small. The trouble is, the gain can be controlled from the Tx and that's been implemented on Ch8.

Having got so used to the flexibility of Taranis and being able to put anything I like on any channel I like, I suddenly felt very restricted by being forced to use something the way a manufacturer decided I have to. In fact it's worse than that. I can't use that feature at all using the Spekky module in a Taranis.

So it would be interesting to know if more channels could be used with a different module.
Or maybe Mike's module will be the answer?