Anyone got the orange module working with futaba for bnf models?

Advert

If your trannies take a plug-in module at the back, you should be able to bind with a Spektrum receiver, as in a bnf model, using a plug-in Spektrum module (or Orange equivalent) in your trannie.  Are you saying you've got a plug-in module and it doesn't work?  If so, Orange also do Futaba-compatible 2.4GHz equipment, so are you sure you haven't got that instead of a Spektrum-compatible one?

Edited By Allan Bennett on 27/01/2014 09:00:59

I'm not certain it will work.

It's due to the different channel ordering between Futaba and Spektrum. The Spektrum made modules that fit Futaba transmitters deal with this ok. I know this as I have several BNF indoor models and a Futaba 9CAP Tx with Spektrum module.

A clubmate bought an orange module and fitted it to a Futaba Tx and ran into this issue.

So what I am saying is that you can use the Orange Tx module in Futaba transmitter so long as you use an Orange Rx (DSM2 or DMSX) or even a Spektrum Rx. Just not a BNF model where the Rx channels have a fixed function assigned to a given channel.

If you look on the Hobbyking product page for the module you will see some comments that relate. I have copied/pasted one such:

"Beware! This module does not have the same channel assignement as the Spektrum DM8 module This flaw makes it impossible for you to use an Eflite BNF model with a Futaba radio that does not provide channel reassignement. To make it clear: you won't be able to use an MCPX, nano CPX, 130X or any other Eflite BNF heli/plane with you Futaba FF9 or T10. Unless you can dial-insome weird mixes, or re-assign channels, this module can only be used with Spektrum/Orange full-size receivers, and in that case, you'd be better off with a Futaba receiver so you don't need a module in the first place... In fact this module is just useless in most use-cases I can think of... Other than this little problem, the quality is fine, the module fits right in the radio's slot, there's even a buzzer when you bind a model (better than the DM8 on this point) and you can change ID (something not found even on Spektrum TX) which is great... Not a bad product at all, but it just misses the point, such a waste of potential... "

Edited By Alan Gorham 2 on 27/01/2014 09:53:00

Got two of these units for use in my Futaba Tx (FF8, FF9). You need the firmware updater unit from HK, the software to change the channel assignement between Spektrum and Futaba is under the 'Files' tabe. Have done both of mine and was easy peasy plus quick.

**LINK**

Edited By GONZO on 27/01/2014 10:21:32

Just to confirm, the OrangeRx DSM2/DSMX module for Futaba radios is capable of either Futaba or JR/Spektrum channel mapping. Futaba=ail,ele,thr,rud. JR/Spek=Thr,ail,ele,rud. As supplied, it has Futaba mapping but it is very easy to change using their little adapter which is used to download the JR/Spek variant of the firmware onto the module. Once this is done, the adapter is unplugged and is no longer needed, and the channels are in JR/Spek order suitable for BNF models. Its very easy to do, and you can repeat the exercise to swap between mappings as you like.

Once the module has been remapped to JR/Spek order, its a cheap drop-in replacement for the Spek DM8 module but with the added benefit of DSMX.

Even if you dont have BNF models its a good idea to remap to JR/Spek order because many cheap DSM2 receivers have failsafe only on channel 1, which obviously ought to be your throttle.

The quoted criticisms of the module or of OrangeRx themselves are all either long-outdated or down to user misunderstanding, in fact its a perfectly capable and versatile module

Cheers

Phil

Edited By Phil Green on 27/01/2014 10:53:24

Posted by GONZO on 27/01/2014 10:20:54:

Got two of these units for use in my Futaba Tx (FF8, FF9). You need the firmware updater unit from HK, the software to change the channel assignement between Spektrum and Futaba is under the 'Files' tabe. Have done both of mine and was easy peasy plus quick.

**LINK**

Edited By GONZO on 27/01/2014 10:21:32

Thanks for the replys ive now ordered one of the units to change the channel assignment from hk

• 2 years later...