Ripmax ARTF Wots Wot

Advert

I ordered one of these (electric option) after reading David Ashby's article. There are a number of issues so far.... However, the build quality (wood) of this aircraft is really good. I am a bit disappointed that there are parts missing as there really isn't much of an excuse for that. The kit seems to be missing the nylon bolt used to hold the battery tray and the aileron control rods. Since I am still building this kit, I may find other things missing....

+1 on the poor covering issue.

For those flying electric, what motor and batteries are you going with? Down on this side of the world, I can't get the Quantum 55 or the High Energy Lipos. So, I'm trying to work out a combination that will physically fit but also not throw off the CG. Could you post your motor/battery combinations? Thanks

Hi Philip,

I've gone a slightly different route to others I suspect.

1. The motor is an AXI 4120/20 Gold Line - expensive yes, but a lovely bit of kit that will last you years.

2. The ESC is a 70A Black Mantis.

3. The battery is a 6s 3000mAh

4. On the prop I have gone bigger than the recommended, at a 14x6. I think David Ashby was planning on trying a larger prop on his set up as well - but I don't know if he's got round to it yet.

All that gives me very good performance and a comfortable 8-9mins flight time of mixed "scale-like" aeros leaving about 20-25% in the battery.

BEB

PS I forgot to mention, the AXI motor fits in fine using the standard electric conversion kit.

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 03/10/2014 21:10:26

I was thinking of going with an OS5020-490 (I have one on the shelf so it makes sense to use it is possible) on a 14x7 prop. I can fit a 6S battery but the biggest is only 4000mAh. That is 695g so quite a heavy battery and the motor is 350g. Compare that to what David Ashby used: a 502g battery with a 346g motor. That gives me a heavier front end which is why I'm concerned about the CG. I haven't looked at the weight of the smaller batteries such as the 6S 3000mAh but should do so.

With your setup, are you nose heavy, bang on, tail heavy and did you have to add weight?

Cheers,

You might find it a bit tight to fit a 6s 4000 in there. I can just get a 6s 3000 in. The restriction is the fore and aft depth of the battery hatch. You could cut it deeper and make a new hatch but without doing that I'm not sure the 6s 4000 would fit in.

Re the CoG - mine balanced spot on the recommended position with the set up I describe. But as discussed above that recommended position is, I feel, a bit too far forward anyway. So I have about 15g of lead on the tail to just take it back a tad. TBH I think battery weight has very little influence on the CoG position as the battery is pretty well on the CoG anyway.

BEB

The size has been the problem. I've been busy making cardboard cutouts of batteries to see which ones would fit and I've found one that is 6S 4000 mAh that would fit...just, in theory, anyway. I might step back to 3700mAh or a 3300mAh to give me a bit more breathing room.

I've also bought a Dubro metal hub tailwheel. It isn't going to add much weight but I'm hoping that due to the distance, the increased moment arm will help compensate, at least a smidgen. Hearing your experience, it doesn't sound like it is going to be enough.

I don't have a video of mine flying - I find it a bit tricky to hold the camera and fly the model at the same time wink 2. But I can assure you it will, at the very least, match the flight performance of IC versions and probably outperform many of them!

I used the standard electric conversion kit available as an extra. It uses 4 stand-offs.

BEB

Maidened mine today.

dsc_4845.jpg

No problems putting it together. And I think the covering is OK. The 82FS is more than enough power, taking off at half throttle. It was a bit windy and low sun so nothing to adventurous today. Weather looks better tomorrow.

Thinking of getting one of these I had an original one with a Laser 75 but now would like a bit more power so OS 91,saito 82 or Laser 80 any thoughts on which engine to go for and would a Laser 100 be to much both in weight and size ? all comments would be welcome !

is the weight the same as the original ?

Edited By Hangar 9 nut on 11/10/2014 20:13:27

I don't think you could go wrong with either of them the difference in power between a 91 fs and a saito 80 is not really noticeable when the model is flying ,mines got a 91 fs with no lead up front ,and I would imagine the saito 80 has very little lead if any also .

• 2 weeks later...