Ripmax ARTF Wots Wot

Well I've finished the build - the only area where the film covering was slack was the rudder which ironed out ok.

The main inter-wing struts required fettling on the overall length to get the holes to line up with those in the wing attachment points and the clevises are naff.

The battery location is fiddly as I am using large 6S LiPos and the magnetic access hatch on the underside of the nose needed some thought on how to fit it as there are no guidelines in the instructions

Overall I am very happy: just c of g to check and then waiting for some decent weather for the maiden flight

Jon

Advert

Posted by Geoffrey Rachel on 26/10/2014 20:26:07:
  • Hello all, My name is Geoff,new to this forum.Came back to flying about 3 years ago.Have recently recieved my wots wot artf.does anyone know why the electric mounting kit puts the motor off centre

Edited By David Ashby - RCME on 27/10/2014 06:15:27

Hi Geoff, and welcome.

I must admit I'd not noticed any particular "off-centredness" of the electrical set up. Of course mounts are frequently placed slightly off centre so that when the right thrust is incorporated the prop still sits on the centre line of the model. Could it be this you are picking up on?

BEB

I just maidened mine yesterday. Lovely flight/bad landing sad So, I have a little work to do on it.

I'm using an OS Motor OMA-5020-490 with a 14x8.5e prop and the OCA-170HV esc. The battery is a Turnigy A-Spec 6s 3200mHa. The dimensions of the battery are 138x43x40mm and it fits very nicely with a tiny bit of room to spare which I need because I've got the JR dmss voltage telemetry unit in-between the battery and the esc and although not bulky, it is long and doesn't bend so it takes up a fair amount of space under the battery hatch. I have also pushed the battery slightly forward disgust by putting a small piece of 3mm square balsa on the battery tray behind the battery. Completely unnecessary but at the time, I thought it would ensure the tray stops where it should and no chance of the battery being hit every time I insert and remove. With this setup, I ended up ever so slightly forward of the recommended CG. Having flown it, I think even the recommended CG is too far forward so I plan to put a bit of weight in the back and see how it is on the next flight. Throttle didn't go past half way except on takeoff and even then, it wasn't at full. I think I might drop back to a 14x7e prop next.

After first flight, I was really impressed at how stable and solid this aircraft is in the air. I haven't done any aerobatics with it yet as I wasn't about to try on the first flight, but I am very impressed so far. Can't wait to get it up again.

Looking back at my posts I see I maidened mine on the 4th Oct. Since then I've had 25-30 flights and I have to say i have grown to really like this aircraft. We have bonded. As BEB said it's not a pure aerobat but with the FS it has bags of character and is a practical every day machine. Thanks for your recomendation BEB, your description was spot on.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi there everyone this is my first post also. Just maidened my Wots wot artf and i am very happy with the flight performance. I am using the PA Thrust 50 with a 14x7 vox prop and a 6s 5000mah lipo ( modded battery bay to fit). Had a 12 minute flight and used 50 percent of the capacity. I agree the cg does seem too far forward but the slow speed flight and ease of landing are great for our small strip. I would recommend this plane. But bigger wheels and beef up u/c mount.

Hi Robert,

Welcome! Yes the Wots Wot has shown itself to be a fine model. Mine is still going strong 6 months on and is now my regular winter hack, so it has no shortage of flights!

Did you find a 4500mAh fitted in easily - what mods did you carry out? I'd be interested to hear as I'm using 3000mAh and finding it a bit of a squeeze - it fits, but only just! With that I get 8mins no problem - 9mins at a push - but would be interested in more.

I'm also interested in your remark about "beefing up" the U/C - is this just a precaution or are some folks finding the standard fitting a bit weak? I have to say I've not had any problems and it seems pretty solid to me.

BEB

PS Tony - a warm welcome to you to. I am sorry your post seems to have "slipped though" unnoticed! I have no experience of the WW with a petrol engine, but maybe now that this thread in on the "Latest Posts" page again someone who has tried it will be able to advise.

Hi thanks for quick reply! Yes my battery bay is open without hatch and the 5000 lipo protrudes downwards. I use velcro and straps to hold it in. Not perfectly neat but looks ok in the air. The u/c came off complete with the ply base landing was a bit heavy (my fault!). I like the large lipo because i can have 2 x 8 minute flights without lipo change using telemetry for battery voltage to warn if i go too far! Will try lighter cells soon but seems to fly well with the large cells.

Cheers.

My set up is like Robert's - 6S, 5000 Li Po & had to discard the hatch to make it fit.

Only had one maiden flight so far due to weather and the u/c came off when I landed breaking the nylon bolts i had used - this was because the c of G had moved forward as the Li Po retaining plate was not tightened enough(!!) so the speed was high and the ground I landed on was a bit soggy!

Looking forward to getting it back in the air and shaking it down...

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Has anyone tried replacing the balsa core/metal outer wing tube with something lighter such as carbon tube? Out of the box the wing tube weighs a massive 68g. Since it's located all but on the CG lightening it shouldn't be a big issue for balance so I can only assume this weight penalty is a cost-saving measure.