Ripmax ARTF Wots Wot

I have recently brought a Wots Wot having seen a couple of guys at my local club having great fun flying theirs and commenting that they are really happy with them. However.... At the end of the season last year one guy had a problem with his lower wing forward attachment being loose. He investigated it and found the forward retaining lug had worn so reinforced it with two dowels. Today I received a phone call from the other member who had only recently built and started flying his model warning me about the front lug and to consider reinforcing it as after his last flight he noticed his lower wing loose. He took the wing off to find the lug had broken off and had he done some acrobatic moves his lower wing may have come off. 😳

I am going to reinforce the lug just in case. Has anyone else had or know of anyone who has had any problems with their lower wing attachment lugs?

Advert

I have had a similar issue with my foamy Wots Wot. After just half a dozen flights it became quite twitchy and imprecise, though most of the guys would tell you that my flying is twitchy and imprecise at the best of times. Both top and bottom wings were loose, the top wing pivoting about the fixing screw at about 30% chord and the lower loose at the leading edge. I think the foam has compressed a little under the tension of the retaining screws. A wee bit of bodging has removed the slackness and restoret the flying qualities (though see the comment above regarding pilot skill). Cracking little model and great fun, I take it and my foamy Acrowot every time I fly.

David

Edited By David Holland 2 on 02/04/2016 21:02:29

I'll have to see if the lug is made from a ply or just a piece of hard balsa and which way the grain runs. It's been suggested that I soak the area in CA to strengthen it or even build it up with some thin metal.

Mike

Possibly. I'll check the wood as mentioned above and the slot it goes into. I'll also keep an eye on mine. BEB, I would like to thank you for all your selfless, inspiring and considered information you post on this site. Oh yes.. Have you finished your tiffy. Your build blog seemed to come to a premature end. The tiffy is on my wish/want/need/must have list.

Edited By Yoda on 02/04/2016 22:19:38

Mine is one of those mentioned by Yoda. It has had no more than 10 flights, no crashes or hard landings just enthusiastic flying. The other was bought 14 months before mine so unlikely to be a batch issue. I am surprised no one else has suffered similarly because neither PP nor I are hard on our models.

I noticed movement in the lower wing carrying the model back from the strip & on investigating was very surprised to find the locating tongue broken off. It is fixable but the potential is worrying. Thunder Tiger 75 FS power so not over stressed.

Edited By Anthony Scott 2 on 02/04/2016 22:18:23

I have also had this weakness show up the other day, mine is powered by a OS 91 Surpass, probably about 12-15 flights, after the last flight when I picked it up I noticed the bottom wing was moving about a lot, on further investigation I found the tab on the leading edge of the bottom wing had sheared off!

I've been progressing with my build and have 'reinforced' the lower locating tang with LOTS of cyano. It seems to be made from ply so should be good enough for the job. I did a trial fit of my lower wing and noticed that when it was put together the back edge of the wing was proud of the fuselage. To get it to sit flush I would have to put significant pressure on the screws holding it down there-by increasing the pressure on the forward lug. To relieve the pressure I will have to fettle the profile of the wing cut out on the fuselage by a few mm in selected areas. I haven't done this yet and am thinking of possible fixes. Normally I'll get an ARTF and throw it together and launch it as is, but now that I have a workshop in which I can utilise the room instead of the 3x3 table on my boat I'm building with more thought.... But still get cyano everywhere it doesn't need to go.

Rob and BEB. Yep, electric is less vibrant and I'd love to go that way but I have a spare ASP70 FS after my Acrowot 'died' due to transmitter/user interface error in a low roll! crying

Edited By Yoda on 04/04/2016 21:00:12

Thanks BEB. There are 2 other Wots Wot at our club. All FS. One with an 80 and the other with a 75. Just wondering what prop to use. 12x6 or 13x6? I think my Acrowot had a 12x6 but had speed issues when landing. Too fast!

hi, just for inf. had mine flying again today. had about 10 flights all good. i will have a look at that locating lug on the bottom wing now. but all good so far. im running a 15cc petrol RCG engine from hobbyking and a 15x6 prop. drive it into the runway, reduce throttle to tick over and it slows up real nice. nice plane.

Hi all, new guy here.

I've just completed the build of my Wots Wot, with a slight deviation from the suggested setup. It's running a Turnigy 6356, 295kv on 6s, with the option to put in 8s if the 6s setup doesn't tear it apart. Prop is a ridiculous looking 18x8, on 6s will provide around 4.5 kilos of thrust, so around the same as an OS 91fs. have replaced the kit wheels for much larger ones to avoid mowing the grass on takeoff..

Andy

• 5 months later...

A couple questions for the electric version build. There is a covered yellow panel & U shaped piece of wood that does not appear in the instructions! Does the U shaped wood just get attached directly on to the fuselage (remove covering before gluing) as it does not seem to fit anywhere else! It will just look a bit odd as its got no covering on it. I have a bit of spare covering or paint it, jus seems odd for such a well engineered kit

Second question, the elevator control rod rubs against the fuselage to a point I can't get the wire in the outer hole of the servo arm. Is it best to trim the fuselage or bent the control arm wire?

• 2 months later...
Posted by Chris Walby on 19/09/2016 11:54:01:

A couple questions for the electric version build. There is a covered yellow panel & U shaped piece of wood that does not appear in the instructions! Does the U shaped wood just get attached directly on to the fuselage (remove covering before gluing) as it does not seem to fit anywhere else! It will just look a bit odd as its got no covering on it. I have a bit of spare covering or paint it, jus seems odd for such a well engineered kit

Second question, the elevator control rod rubs against the fuselage to a point I can't get the wire in the outer hole of the servo arm. Is it best to trim the fuselage or bent the control arm wire?

Chris the yellow covered part is the battery hatch, this has 4 magnets mounted in it.

The U shaped part fits just inside the fuselage, it has 4 corresponding magnets so that the hatch can be attached and removed.

• 4 months later...

Thanks, whatever the material is, the girls in the shop do a btter covering job than me.

What's everyone using for an engine? This is my first biplane.The look seems to cryout 4 stroke.

The snow and ice have left the field, and flying is being here in Winnipeg, Canada. I have to finish by Hawk for next weekends "Show and Tell" at spring club meeting.

Jim

Edited By Jim Purcha on 15/04/2017 22:30:55

Edited By Jim Purcha on 15/04/2017 22:32:59