Ripmax ARTF Wots Wot

Advert

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi Brian, I just moved your post across to this existing thread.

Hmm, good question, I knew someone would ask that. He came from the spares box and in turn from a deceased foamy aerobat.

Ah, here we go, first google result is this. If you google FMS Yak 54 pilot then you may find a few more.

Edited By David Ashby - RCME on 18/08/2014 19:42:40

ive just flown my wots wot today ,it flew very well just two clicks of down trim ,but im disappointed with the covering ,its not oracover like the previous wots range its the cheap chines stuff that is almost see through especially the yellow ,you can see all the wood grain and fuselage former joins .

After three flights the the covering is delaminateing on the tail so the clear covering is comeing off the red .

it went together very well but some of the hardware was suspect ,two of the metal clevises had poor threads so just pulled of the threaded rod that forms the closed loops on the rudder .Also one of the plastic clevises did not have the pin part that goes through the control horn .

At the field it went together in about 10 minutes ,I flew it with an os 91 fs but I inverted it not side hung it ,no extra weight was needed to balance it.

It had plenty of power with this set up but im sure if you wanted you could get a 120 sf in it ok

When I crash it I don't think ill buy another just purely because of the very poor covering ,id rather of paid a little more for decent covering

thanks Steve

I got mine at the Nats. Also bought the IC pack, as risking me having a mount being the same hole spacing was not worth it, so got one.

Going to put a 91FS in it. It says upto a .80 fs, I do have a Magnum 80, but will go bigger. The Acro was a Thunder Tiger 75 four stroke, and have a Thunder Tiger 91 sitting idle.

I bought one of these last week and I have to say the covering material is rubbish. The clear film part of the covering has completely come away from the colour part on the leading edge of the top wing. the same is happening over other parts of the plane (using low task masking tape pulls it off). As it's an unknown covering I'm loathe to try and iron it down again. The covering is also difficult to remove for the cabane mounts on the wings and horizontal stabilizer (bits of covering are left on wood the same a solar film removal). If I hadn't got so far with it I would send it back for a refund. Mines going electric, heaven help any one with IC. Also don't use Acetone to remove excess Cyno as it might affect the covering (I have some yellow tissues which were white). I also had issues with the hinges. they seem to need a lot of Cyno and take some time to go off. I have had the following ARTF's which used Oracover; 2 wot4's, 2 wot4 xl, 2 Acro wots and the coverings been fine on them all.

Just finished mine off. Pic in "Forum New Models " thread tomorrow.

Niggles were:

Plastic horns, like the Acro Wot were rubbish. The closed loop rudder were decent 2mm metal. Why don't they supply them all around, not just the rudder, especially for the elevator.

Also replaced the horns with tri-mount Du-bro types. Like the Acro Wot, I prefer something more better than those nasty things you get with the kit. The rudder bolt bar is ok, though.

Supplied spinner in the IC pack screws were too short. Doh! Were 12mm, but needs 15mm. Cut down a m3 screw to 15mm. Bit daft that.

Mine has a Thunder Tiger 91 four stroke. Was going to use either a OS 70FS bought from the nats swopmeet last week. Powerful and runs well, or A=a old OS90 fs, Magnum 80fs new, but decided on the TT 91fs overall.

Edited By Paul Marsh on 27/08/2014 21:18:33

Something funny going on here. Because the covering on mine is fine - in fact I'm very happy with it.I got the old excess CA on hinge glueing problem, and used acetone to clean it off - no colour removal. I wonder are they getting them made in more than one place and not tightly specifying the covering material?

BEB

I read the Wots -Wot review , would have preferred an IC version. Looks great, like the body mods, not sure about the cg - my Acro-Wot has an OS120 2s up front and it balances without the addition of further weight, I also reinforced the u/c, I believe that new Wot 4 ARTF has f/glassed reinforced u/c - no mention re strength of Wots Wot u/c.

I may wait until the first production run have been built, flown and possibly bent before buying one, tho buy one I will

Posted by Dean Hunter on 28/08/2014 08:13:37:

I read the Wots -Wot review , would have preferred an IC version. Looks great, like the body mods, not sure about the cg - my Acro-Wot has an OS120 2s up front and it balances without the addition of further weight, I also reinforced the u/c, I believe that new Wot 4 ARTF has f/glassed reinforced u/c - no mention re strength of Wots Wot u/c.

The review model has had around 25 flights Dean and there's no sign of u/c problems. In fact many at our cub fly ARTF WOT4s and Acrowots and I've never seen a weak u/c problem with these either.

The covering issue is really annoying, if I'd seen any problems then I'd certainly have said. It makes me wonder whether some kits came in by air and others sat on a boat for a few weeks.

Edited By David Ashby - RCME on 28/08/2014 10:27:48