Piano wire snakes

GONZO

I'm certain most on here will have had experience of the ARTF's fitted with piano wire in nylon tube outers for opperation of the main flying controls. I've found 4mm OD x 2.5mm ID nylon tube on the bay. But, I was wondering if any one knows of a source of smaller tube?

Thanks in anticipation.

Advert

Almost as cheap as Wingman's suggestion (teeth 2) are these soft pushrods from GS but, what d'ya know, they're out of stockcrook

They arrive with a serious coil so I bin the inner and put the outer in a length of copper tubing and leave it somewhere warm and sunny for a few days - that straightens them out! They guide 22g piano wire pushrods very nicely with virtually no friction.

The only downside I can see is finding a 'warm and sunny' spot....smile

Pete

John,

I saw that, but kind of pricy @£5/mtr for the use I have in mind and at the upper ID for 18swg(1.2mm) or preferably 20swg(0.9mm). I feel nylon is more than up to the job although I may be forced to un-chain the wallet after removing it from the safe. Funny, how paying hundreds for RC,engines or planes is OK but bulk at paying a few quid for tubing.

Thanks again.

Posted by GONZO on 11/02/2014 14:36:12:

Thanks for the help; unfortunately LMS is 40mls away. Was ideally looking for 1.5mm ID to 2mm ID. The ARTF manufacturers must get it from somewhere and its probably a cheap item masproduced for another use.

Posted by GONZO on 11/02/2014 15:23:46:

I may be forced to un-chain the wallet after removing it from the safe. Funny, how paying hundreds for RC,engines or planes is OK but bulk at paying a few quid for tubing.

Phone them and ask them to send it to you.

How about this stuff available at the LMS. I usually use the inner as well with a clevis silver soldered at one end before inserting into the outer then one of these or a piece of threaded bike spoke bound with fuse wire & soft soldered to the other end or the metal pushrod connectors shown halfway down this page.
To straighten the nylon outer cable I dump it in a bowl of near boiling hot water for a minute, remove it & hold it stretched out until it cools - just takes a couple of minutes.

Update

Found some imperial dimension nylon tube on the bay, spec 1/8"OD x 0.075"ID. Good for 18swg(1.21mm) and 16swg(1.6mm) but too small ID for 14swg(2.04mm). eBay item number: 261125280421 Only problem is it comes in 30mtr coils, got enough for several lifetimes!

Also, bought a sample of the PTF tube 2mmOD x 1mmID. eBay item number: 111168066224

Good for 22swg(0.71mm), 20swg(0.91mm) and also 18swg(1.21mm). It would seem that the 1mmID is nominal thus the 18swg was an easy sliding fit in my sample.

Hope this may be of use to others.