Darran a Dawn Flyer (A first ever build)

Darran

Well I may have another little problem to overcome. I followed the plan and sheeted the front top and bottom of my wings, then I saw a note on BEB's blog than there should be some supporting blocks in the front ribs where the dowel is going to be positioned.

As this is not on my plan I didn't add these. Should I remove the sheeting and put these in or carry on without them.

Hi Darran, I missed that little detail on mine as well. I just drilled the hole out as per the plan and then pumped a load of gorilla glue in there before fitting the dowel. The gorilla glue expands up and supports the rear of the dowel. I have not had any problems despite many flights and including a number of rather heavy landings.

A.

Posted by Andrew Eastland on 27/03/2014 13:36:33:

Hi Darran, I missed that little detail on mine as well. I just drilled the hole out as per the plan and then pumped a load of gorilla glue in there before fitting the dowel. The gorilla glue expands up and supports the rear of the dowel. I have not had any problems despite many flights and including a number of rather heavy landings.

A.

Cool I will go with that seems a god Fiona to me

Posted by Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 27/03/2014 13:47:00:

I think Andrew's solution is a good one. Watch yourself with the old Gorilla Glue though - its easy to overdo it and the stuff foams up out of all control! smile

BEB

Yes have used this glue a lot when creating backgrounds for my snake vivariums, it's easy to make a mess with this glue.

Trailing edgeOk as a newbie, this might be a silly question but I have come to sheet up the training edge and looking around cannot see if it should be done in one piece or not. It's clear that the straight length along the aileron edge is one piece.

however what about the other piece ?

also the underside of the wing is flat so sheeting is easy,  However the top looks more difficult due to the trailing edge being a lot higher than the wing spars. See above. 

Also when offered up to the plan my three extended spars do not get anywhere near the edge of the sheeting on the plan. 

Edited By Darran on 27/03/2014 17:52:03

Edited By Darran on 27/03/2014 17:53:06

Edited By Darran on 27/03/2014 17:53:53

You can sheet it in one piece but it would mean quite some wastage. I sheeted the trailing edges in several strips making sure the end joints on the strips lined up with a rib underneath.

The raised trailing edge in your photo will need sanding down level with the ribs at either end.

I cut and fitted the underside sheeting to project past the trailing edge of the ribs then cut the top sheeting to match, sanding a bevel on the underside to sit directly ontop of the lower sheeting.

BTW the only silly questions are those that are asked twice. Nobody is born knowing this stuff. It's all learnt from experience, observation or by asking! yes

Posted by Chris Barlow 1 on 27/03/2014 18:30:14:

You can sheet it in one piece but it would mean quite some wastage. I sheeted the trailing edges in several strips making sure the end joints on the strips lined up with a rib underneath.

The raised trailing edge in your photo will need sanding down level with the ribs at either end.

I cut and fitted the underside sheeting to project past the trailing edge of the ribs then cut the top sheeting to match, sanding a bevel on the underside to sit directly ontop of the lower sheeting.

BTW the only silly questions are those that are asked twice. Nobody is born knowing this stuff. It's all learnt from experience, observation or by asking! yes

The raised trailing edge is the same both sides so I will lower it. Should it be level with the top of the rib tips where they meet the trailing edge.

Posted by Darran on 27/03/2014 18:41:54:

The raised trailing edge is the same both sides so I will lower it. Should it be level with the top of the rib tips where they meet the trailing edge.

Yes it should be level. Because this is a constant chord, constant section wing if you take a 2' straight edge/ruler and lay it along the length of the wing then it should touch the ribs at all positions of the wing chord parallel to the main wing spar.

Not sure if that's clear and I may have even confused myself! laugh

The inboard trailing edge is formed with the upper and lower sheeting and the resulting triangular gap filled with scrap balsa.

Ok trying to get my head round the trailing edge sheeting. As I understand it from Chris above once the sheeting is glued top and bottom I should fill the gaps with scrap balsa for strength is this correct.

how do I tell this from the plan or is it just one of them things you just know to do when you have experience building from plans.

Below is a photo of my wing. You can see how the lower sheeting projects past the upper sheeting which is tapered and glued on top.

The small triangle you'll need to fill with scrap balsa is where the trailing edge angles forwards towards the cockpit which will become apparent after you fit the sheeting. I filled this triangle with a peice of 1/4 sq sanded to match the angle. A lot of these little details are discovered and overcome as you go along and it's usually OK to proceed with whatever solution you think is best.

img_1134.jpg

Hi Darran,

If possible I always try and create a complete wing sheeting section by butting together the various sections. This can then be glued and fitted in place in one operation. It adds a little time to the prep does make the final fitting easier (I think).

Your build is looking good.

Regards

John

Yes, Chris is right. The DF plan is pretty good on detail actually - you can get those that leave an awful lot to the discretion/experience of the builder - but obviously we try to avoid them for the Mass Build! Not always successfully!

Here are some photos showing how I did my trailing edge - very similar to Chris - but they're different views so that they may show some details that help you.

df84.jpg

This one below shows the sheeting protruding beyond the ribs so you have something to glue to when you do the other side,..

df85.jpg

Here's part of the sheeting on the other side being glued in place,...

df86.jpg

This slightly blurred shot shows the two bits of sheeting glued together beyond the rib,...

df87.jpg

Hope that helps.

BEB

WingAnd both wings. However one of them for some reason has issues with the top front sheeting it's got some dents in, it looks like it's sagged a little. You can just about make them out if you look hard enough, but you can feel them.

what if anything should I do with these

Posted by John Milne on 06/04/2014 21:39:53:

Darran,

Providing the wing is true and not twisted then I would do nothing at all, on a model of this type it will add character.

John

I don't think it's twisted I think it's just sagged in between the ribs and it's only in a couple of places

• 4 weeks later...

Not a lot done this week been very busy at work, and the build has stalled a bit. Did find out that I work a few doors away from a printers that can print my plans. I had some free plans copied for something else I want to build so I guess the build bug has truly bitten.

I am struggling to get stick time at the club at the moment. Trainers don't seem to be around when I'm there so not going as well as it should.

I'm considering getting extra tuition with someone like midlands flight training services.

back to the build and I plan to move it along some this week. Still trying to get to grips with covering especially round edges.

still need to find some wheels for the project I really want spoked wheels.

Finally returned to my build after a busy couple of weeks. But i have somehow developed a mental block.

I need to fix the wing tips to the wings, but cannot completely determine how this is done. I am assuming it is glued to the last wing rib, thats given however does it glue up to the inside of the 6mm longer on strutting out. or does that sit on top of the sheet.

also with all the sheeting on the wing edges etc. the longer on is no longer touching the flat surface, so should it be glued that 1.5 mm off the surface ?

Second question is about the elevators, these have a balsa triangle shape covered with a ply strengthener where the 2mm joining rod is placed. should i make the balsa triangle thinner and the ply be flush with the top / bottom of the elevator or should it just be placed on top of the 6mm balsa triangle.