Darran a Dawn Flyer (A first ever build)

Darran

BEB

the spar on the trailing edge is a continuos piece that extends past the last wing rib. This is the one I meant.(on the left in your picture)

not sure how to line up and glue in the wing tip sheet. Should the sheet be level with the bottom of the wing (including the leading and trailing edge sheet) so the bottom is flat or should it be level with the bottom of the wing rib, or should it be somewhere in the middle of the wing rib ?

In the middle Darran. Just be careful to get it parallel with the chord line - you don't want to build in any unintentional wing twist!

Actually, its one of those jobs that looks more difficult to do than it actually is. This picture shows it before the bracing pieces are tapered. If you make sure they are square at the end they will help you to get the wing tip straight - as will the bit overhanging at the bottom.

df96.jpg

BEB

BEB

can you explain the term chord line please, I have seen this mentioned a few times but I don't yet understand what is meant by it

also did you add that extra piece of balsa at the front, and what is it for and would it be easier to add the balsa for the bracing pieces to the sheet before fixing to the rib etc.

The chord line has a technical definition - but what I meant in the context above was a mid-point line along the rib. Draw a straight line from the "point" of the leading edge of the rib to the "point" at the trailing edge - and for our purposes here that is the chord line.

The bit stuck on is the result of a mistake by me! Originally I sanded the leading edge flush with the final rib - I then realised that was an error! I needed a bit of it to form the curve at the front! So, in the best traditions of "its only wood you can fix it" I just glued a bit extra back on! You can see in the picture below how I have sanded them to form the curve at the leading edge tip - near the bottom of the picture.

df102.jpg

BEB

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 04/05/2014 21:55:33

So as a first time builder I have had a lot of help already from the forum and it has helped me along and I have gained some valuable experience, it's been a steep learning curve. I am trying to figure out how to read the plan correctly in that I am assuming that the plan tells me all I need to know about the construction of a model, there may be parts were experience comes in etc but as already pointed out to me the plan is the key.

I understand what materials are being used when the plan actually says it in black and white, however how do you tell what to use from the plan when it does not, for instance the DF has to wing servo bays marked on the plan and I have some covers in my cnc pack made from ply, but how do I determine what the parts shown on the plan should be made of to make the mounts for the plate. Am I missing something or is it left to choice and this is where experience comes in ?

Posted by john stones 1 on 10/05/2014 19:42:51:

Hello Darren

Best advice I can give you is to take a look in...BEBs Dawn Flyer build, page 2 of 2014 mass build.

He explains it very well for the inexperienced and you'll also find a link to some spoked wheels on there.

John

Yes john I have followed BEB's blog and use it as a very useful reference point, however I cannot always rely on another's blog, I have to learn for myself how to read a plan properly if I am to progress at this building game.

Ah, reading plans. Well its something you build up over time. The more plans you use, the better you get at it. But I'll tell you this - even the most experienced can mis-read a complex issue on a plan - and regularly do. I seem to remember that there is one on the Barnstormer builds where nearly everyone has mis-read one detail - even the old hands. Something to do with the position and/or extent of a doubler I seem to remember. Anyway, the detail isn't important, my point is that reading plans isn't easy, we all made mistakes at it from time to time. Thankfully as you get more experienced the errors become less frequent and you get better at "covering them up"!

How's it going generally Darran?

BEB

Posted by Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 11/05/2014 23:43:12:

Ah, reading plans. Well its something you build up over time. The more plans you use, the better you get at it. But I'll tell you this - even the most experienced can mis-read a complex issue on a plan - and regularly do. I seem to remember that there is one on the Barnstormer builds where nearly everyone has mis-read one detail - even the old hands. Something to do with the position and/or extent of a doubler I seem to remember. Anyway, the detail isn't important, my point is that reading plans isn't easy, we all made mistakes at it from time to time. Thankfully as you get more experienced the errors become less frequent and you get better at "covering them up"!

How's it going generally Darran?

BEB

BEB

In general its going quite well. I have managed to follow the plans and with help from the blogs on here especially yours I have got along quite well up to now.

Still cannot really get to grips with covering, but I will keep practicing, this is probably going to be the hardest part of the build. practice makes perfect and all that.

One question i have is about the servo plate fixings that go in-between the wing ribs. in your photos it looks like you used some thick Balsa, but i am not sure as you seem to have some seam lines running through it that I have not seen in Balsa before. did you use balsa or some other hard wood.

I still have so much to learn but every day i complete a small bit of the model and i get a great deal of satisfaction looking at the bench and seeing it slowly coming together.

I am looking forward to visiting the Greenacres event (its not far for me). It was at this event last year I meet up with the people from the club i ended up joining. It will be nice to see all the models on show and hopefully meet some of the people from the forum to say hi. I hope that next year I will be flying model i have built at the event, but this years event has come a little to soon for me.

I have some issues to sort out with getting so training at the club, its been difficult to get a club member to spend the time to train me so far, due to weather, me only starting the whole thing late last summer and the fact that the trainers and my free time don't seem to overlap. So getting my A won't happen in time for this years meet, but my goal is to have it for next years meet and built another model (or two) to fly.

I do enjoy building as much as flying, but I really want to fly the models I build. I have a few favourite planes that I would really like to build as my skills progress and hopefully my Eindecker, JU88 and DC3 will one day leave the building board and onto the airfield.

Now back to the build I go, I have to make some 3mm square strips for the wing tip edging. balsa stripping is another skill i have yet to master.

Edited By Darran on 12/05/2014 21:03:43

Sounds like you're doing really well mate. Its not easy building a model and there are lots of skills but you seem to be getting there which is great. Patience and making a bit of progress each day are the keys to sucess.

The servo covers on my DF are made from 2mm ply - balsa isn't really strong enough. You have to remember good old Newton and his third law - every force has an equal and opposite reaction force. So when you defect those ailerons in flight the servos do the pushing - but ultimately their "foothold" to push from is this plate! So the plate ultimately takes the load.

About covering - don't be too nervous of it. If you haven't used solartex before you'll be amazed how user friendly it is - much easier than film for example.

Regarding learning to fly - I have to say I feel really sorry for folks that set out to learn late last summer - I don't think I've known a wetter and windier 6 months then we've had this last half year. Its really hampered learners all over the country I think - and as an instructor I notice this. I remember previous years - we're started off learners in Sept and they've had their A-cert by new year - no chance for that this year.

But I hope you do get plenty of flying in over this summer - and if you see me walking around at Greenacres please do say hello! I love meeting lots of forum members when there and putting faces to names I know really well!

BEB

PS Those wing end strips can be a be fiddly - pre bending them with lots of pins having soaked them in the bath first is the best plan - with a bit of an ammonia based window cleaner if poss. But pick a day when the other half is out - for some reason they're a bit funny about wood in that bath! wink 2

BEB

isnt 2mm ply a little thin to screw the servo bay cover to. I know the actual mounts for the servo to the cover plate are a hard wood epoxied in. But the plate screws to two supports between the wing ribs should these not Ben thicker than 2mm

Yes now it becomes clearer. My CNC and wood pack didn't supply any thing other than the Ply and Balsa parts, and the Balsa wood stock required. As I am new to this game I have yet to acquire a 'stock' of wood but I will as time goes by.

I have ordered some for the time being to start my stock off. Will try and post some more pictures of my build this as it progresses now that I have some time on my hands to continue the build.

Have to share that my better half asked me last night if I would like a Taranis transmitter for my upcoming birthday. She knows how geeky I am and was looking in my magazines for ideas, she said she thought I would like it as its open source and me being a programmer and all that. How could I refuse ?

• 3 weeks later...

Well after a weeks fishing and getting very wet in France, I finally got back to my build today, started on completing the wing tips and managed to successfully bend and fix the edges. Then whilst sanding down was not careful enough and trashed one of the edges.

Not to fear I broke it so I should fix it, I have removed what was left of the strip and prepared another one, glue is now drying. Hopefully I can post some pictures of my progress tomorrow

Right I have glued the wing pieces together. Why do I feel like an expectant father waiting for it to dry and worrying if it will all work out.

Will post pictures once it's dry and offered to the fus to see if it's good.