CNC Hot Wire cutter/router

Morning all,

I've been thinking for a little while on this one and have decided to ask for some opinions.

I want to build myself a CNC hot wire cutter. The concept is reasonably simple, having had a look online they are fairly easy to build and I think I can make a nice job of one. The limiting factor as always will be time, but as my contract is out in September there is a chance that I will have a lot more time on my hands

If I am building a CNC HWC then I can easily build the additional parts and design it to convert into a CNC router - just a little software variation to make sure it works in both modes!

So onto the real reason for the post. I'm thinking that once I have built the 'prototype' and proved it and my costs, I might run a 'kickstarter' project. for those not familiar with kickstarter then a designer puts up a post of what they intend to do, and linked pledge levels - i.e. pledge £1 get a key-ring cut on the prototype, pledge £1000 get a full machine, software, cutting wire, router conversion kit etc. If the project reaches it's 'funding goal' everyone pays up, and gets the bits, if not then no-one pays anything and no-one gets anything.

Please note - numbers above are illustrative only!

So the Question is this folks - if I get the prototype built and proven, and start the kickstarter, would they be of much interest?

Thanks

Olly

Edited By Olly P on 18/02/2014 07:06:15

Dave - and indeed the crowdfunding would be out to as wide an audience as I could realistically post too!

The plan would be to have different build levels i.e. lowest 'proper' one is a self assembly package, then part assembled then fully assembled.

Alongside those levels probably additional levels for each with extra modules etc.

The purpose of the post really is just to gauge if it is worth developing the idea of a crowd-funded project further. I will need to spend some of my own cash to get to the point where the kickstarter rules allow me to start one up, so it is a question on when/if I do it...

Like the idea. I once had a step four hot wire cutter, but sold it with the business. The router I think would be of more interest these days as it could be used to cut ribs and formers and might be cheaper than a laser.

Are there enough foam wings out there to justify I wonder.

Have you decided on software yet, as this might be a deciding factor on take up.

Andy

Edited By Andy Green on 18/02/2014 12:50:32

Thanks for the comments guys - keep them coming, all are ideas for consideration. As I say above I'm only on the 'internal process' of this so far.

Andy - The idea is a modular system, so the Y axis would be common, the Z axis would potentially be a common driven system with then a slot in block to take either the ends for the HWC or a beam for mounting the router. the X axis for the router (not needed on the HWC) would then be built into this beam.

In terms of software I haven't got that far! The advantage of the Pledge levels on kickstarter is that I could have multiple options, at appropriate funding levels. I could even have one available with no software.

I have used Linux based systems for some 12 years now and have just switched to Ubuntu recently which this system uses. Ubuntu is pretty easy to use and the looking at the software install stuff there it is all gui based so should be very easy to use for anyone with advanced computer skills. You just need a realtively cheap pc with a parallel port which most still have and you're away. A background in using cnc would be helpful. Linux is not complicated it is just different. Once you are used to the intuitive way it works it is easy. It's not MicroSoft and nearly any piece of software is available free of charge. These are community based projects and the FrSky Taranis is an rc off shoot of the same thing.

Rob

• 1 year later...

Well, this project isn't dead, just treading water - lots gong on at the moment, and I will be getting on with thi at some stage.

I have done some research and bought some lead-screws, so hope to be looking at some precision rails as load bearers with thrust bearings soon - possibly looking at using ones normally used on photocopiers.

I have also found some reasonably priced suppliers of 4 axis kits with a 5 axis breakout board, this means I could use axis 5 for an on/off controller of the Hot wire, or an extra stepper motor to add the routing option - or both via a switch depending on mode....

Lots to think about, and some design work to do next...just need to get some time...

• 4 weeks later...

So, PSU and combination breakout and driver board due to be delivered on Thursday, Parallel cable due today, motors already purchased via E-Bay.

Next thing is to measure the PCB - helpfully no physical sizes are provided on the website, and design the enclosure/test the electronics. Once that is done I need to figure out the limit switching bit, and get some limit switches.

Finally I need to acquire some bearings of some description and design/make the actual physical machine - I'm fairly relaxed about it as I know enough to make this bit easy, the electronics/software bit was my knowledge hole and I hope to have filled this by the end of the weekend, but I do have my 2 year old sons birthday party on Sunday!

Ben, that looks good, but I'm enjoying the challenge of designing and building my own.

Had a message from the courier, delivery will be today of the remaining electronics.

Fixed link: **LINK**

Might get some shed time, but unlikely this week with prep for the little ones birthday part on Sat - we will see, I would like to test the electronics if I get chance, I will then figure our enclosures for it!

Ben, I'll attempt a 'simple' explanation....

The user creates a design on the computer (in the Computer Aided Design software or CAD) this is then passed to another piece of software (or part of the same software in some cases) which creates the instructions for the machine to cut to (called G-Code). This is then passed to a 'breakout board' which figures it out.

The breakout board then turns this G-Code into a series of signals for the Stepper motor controller, which turns the motor a set amount to move the heads.

I have bought a 'combination board' which acts as the breakout board and the stepper motor controllers, this makes wiring up simple for me.....

• 4 weeks later...

OK. My better half is away, with the nipper for a week later this month, and as the plan is to have the garden finished by then I might get the shed back, and I'll have time to use it!

So I am no having to make some decisions. I have found a source for the remaining electronics trivia, and it will not cost much. I need to obtain the ball bearing slides to run the actual wire 'shackles' on, and therefore need to make some decisions based on size.

The principle use will be for cutting wing sections, and therefore the height should be easy to accomodate within a 500mm runner, But what about the chord? I can set the 2 runners almost any distance apart so the span is not limited by this, but the chord will be. Is 550mm enough, or do I go to 600, or more? The other factor is space - at full extension the arms will be twice as long as the movement!

hmm....decisions, decisions.....