Magnets and Receivers

I'm setting up a wing and want to be able to access short extensions to unused Rx channels. The idea being to be able to quickly add extras to the wing at the flying site. I intend to this by simply hinging a small access door, possibley with the ends of the servo leads attached. The access hatch will be underneath the wing. So I can:

• Use velcro to secure the hatch - works well on the Fusion and that's on the underside the fus
  • Use magnets
  • Something else

Wild Wicked Wing

I already have a good supply of neodynium (something like that) magnets and there's no doubt they would hold the door shut so I quite fancy that option...

... but so close to the receiver?

Would the receiver be compromised with a magnet next to it?

Thanks chaps Ian

Edited By Ian Jones on 02/03/2014 23:12:33

Advert

It is not very likely that a modern receiver would contain anything that would be affected by the stray magnetic field from the little magnets used to hold hatches shut. The older type of receiver with coils wound on magnetic cores might have been, but then those were usually shielded with a can because of that, and also to prevent the field from one coil coupling to another.

John

Ian - I did some tests many years ago to see if magnets could affect our receivers. The theory was that a large enough magnetic field could saturate the ferrite core in the RF and IF coils, preventing any signal getting through. I used some very powerful electromagnets and found no effect at all on 35MHz Rxs. Haven't repeated the tests on 2.4GHz but since they do not contain such coils I do not think you have a problem. Just do the normal range check.

Graeme

Posted by Stephen Jones on 03/03/2014 22:18:56:

So does this mean one could use magnets to hold the receiver in place rather than Velcro ?

Stephen the discussion was about using magnets to hold the hatch in place, rather than the receiver itself.

Magnets & a strip of sheet still has done the job. The Rx compartment cover is corex so cutting one side of a flute made an easy hinge and inserting magnets inside the flute nearest the opening end made them easy to fit. The sheet steel is held by epoxy.

doorparts.jpg

door.jpg

All connected up and when I want access to unused channels the leads are there just waiting to be used.

Edited By Ian Jones on 06/03/2014 23:37:19