The Easy Way

Roger 2

Ok I admit it; I am a crinkley.

R/c aircraft and flying has been my hobby ever since I was a school kid able to buy Keil Kraft kits and balsa glue. My new planes are the boxes of balsa type, I enjoy the building and then the flying, I am no expert but I enjoy my time.

In my club the great majority buy RTF's or E-bay RTF's, no one seems to build any more only the "crinkleys".

I get told it's easier just buy and fly, I have suggested that to make your own plane and see it fly is a great boost, but the interest doesn't seem to be there.

This senile warble came to me as I read the last RCM&E and looked at all the images of planes for sale all beautifully finished and ready to fly . It's easy you see, you don't have to put anything into it, just open your wallet .

Am I also starting to look like V Meldrew as well as sound like him . Lol

Cheers

Roger

Edited By Roger 2 on 07/03/2014 15:43:37

Advert

I'd disagree to a certain extent, there is a trend coming back to building, well at least I hope it's a trend and not a glitch as I have set up a business on this basis lol.

Although artf's are still a majority of the market, there is a bigger percentage of people out there who are starting to want something different to usual line ups at the strip.

I think there is still a way to go but I think we will get out fair share in a not too distant future.

More people should learn to build, even if it is only to fix their artf's wink 2

Hi Dylan

I hope you are right if only for the sake of your bank balance.

I remember a conversation I had with Eddie from DB Sport and Scale, he said that due to the lack of basic building skills around now, he would need to make kit plans a lot more "extensive" to explain every step. This of course would add to his costs.

Cheers

Roger

Edited By Roger 2 on 07/03/2014 16:16:58

I do understand that, for many people, aeromodelling is largely about building and it can give great satisfaction. I built rubber-powered and control-line kits as a youngster but didn't get into R/C until well into middle-age. With all the demands of career, home and family, I'd have spent months building a trainer, crashed it, not been able to fly whilst I built a new one, and would probably have given up. ARTFs made it possible for me to get into the hobby and, just as importantly, stay in it. Now, having assembled a dozen ARTFs I have more time and have completed an Acro Wot from a kit and thoroughly enjoyed doing it. Next, I hope to build from a plan. I've had to acquire new knowledge and skills, which is why I read everything I can on building tips and techniques, but would never have got to this point without ARTFs. But, when all is said and done, I'm a crinkley too!

Fellow Crinkly here. I would love a resurgence of building, but alas the outlook may be a little grim - with the event of trends like ARTF etc (which keep me flying between builds!) coupled with the 'youth of today' wanting everything NOW - and very few of them taking up anything to do with making anything let alone basic engineering skills...

Obviously we have a BIG skills shortage in the UK with anything to do with engineering, although the government are pushing apprenticeships (result for me as I teach Functional Skills...).

Someone tell me I'm wrong... please...

some are builders first and fliers second while others are fliers first and builders second, nothing wrong with either, but would agree that we have a massive skills gap with the younger generation, not helped either when machining equipment requires a high level of i.t. skills rather than hands on.

Bill (crinkly club member)

Trouble is "open wallet" flying can be cheaper than building. A basic artf trainer from Seagull will set you back barely£60.... No contest against wood, glue, covering, time cutting and making.

Now by all means build if you want, I do, and restore beaten up wrecks, it is more expensive than a Vietnamise flying thing. Just go and start flying and enjoy. Building will give you great skills in repairing damage.

It may sound contradictory what I've said but that's the beauty of the hobby. You can have the best of both worlds at the same time.

I have recently come back to aero modelling after a 25 year absence, I have been flying rtf foamies just to get my hand in with the flying. I have just started to build a Flair Magnatilla, which has been sitting in my garage for 25 years, I had forgotten how much satisfaction you get from building. Guys you dont' know what you are missing, give it a go. Foamies are O.K but you just don't have the choice of models available and they just don't look anywhere near as good as a built up kit, and yes I do come under the heading of crinkly, (61). I'll get me coat.

In years gone by I built my share of KK models, Ajax, Senator, Caprice then on through control line to rc; then after about 20 years dropped out. My re-acquaintance with model flying just a couple of years ago wouldn't have happened if ARTF's had not developed to where they are.

At the time of getting back in the air I had neither the time nor the space/facilities for building but ARTF and foam offered a way to get back in the air: I'm very glad that option was available.

As for new people coming into the hobby I think time is probably the biggest problem for many people which is why ARTF is so popular. From my experience family life these days is more hectic than perhaps it was years ago, so between the lack of time and the undoubted pressure for more immediate results it doesn't surprise me that building appears to be less popular than in years gone by. I should add that I have the utmost admiration and respect for those who do 'bash the balsa!'

I think it's probably fair to say that the age profile revealed by the pole on forum members perhaps provides a clue that members here are more likely to be retired / semi retired and perhaps for many time is less of an issue. That begs the question how typical is the forum membership of UK modelling, what conclusions can be drawn?

I'm 58, semi retired and semi crinkly. I look forward to the day when I have space and time for a traditional building board, but I know I'm not there yet. I have promised myself that one day I'll build another Ajax, though perhaps it'll be an rc version!

Edited By avtur on 08/03/2014 00:03:14

Cymaz said that it was cheaper to buy rtf than build, one of the lads at the club said similar, he said I cannot afford same as you to buy the kits so I get rtf.

Ok I spend more than him on a kit and it takes me maybe 6 months or more to build it. In that time the same person has gone through a number of "cheapies", if you crash some thing that means nothing and is cheap so what?

Spend a lot of time building some thing, you care and will therefore look after it  and repair it if you have an "oo nasty"

I still have a couple of planes made in the 70's still flying.

Just a thought.

Roger

Edited By Roger 2 on 08/03/2014 22:23:54

Edited By Roger 2 on 08/03/2014 22:26:34

• 2 weeks later...
Don't know if time or lack of it is a consideration. Nobody can be that busy you can't set aside a few hours here and there to do something you really enjoy. I have been building a model now for months as sometimes there is a gap between doing anything on it, but as much as I want to finish I enjoy building so don't mind how long it takes. I agree people want instant gratification but getting something out the box and flying it means missing out more than your gaining, what's all that time your saving for?

Posted by mike ryan on 19/03/2014 01:17:25:
" ... Nobody can be that busy you can't set aside a few hours here and there to do something you really enjoy ..."

I think that might be easier said than done for some people, anyone involved with a family these days (particularly with school aged children) is likely to have a lot of conflicting demands on their time to deal with.

We know from comments posted on this forum that many folks take a break from this hobby (and many others) through the family years. Their return to the hobby is made more achievable by the availability of ARTF's, it is only further down the road that they may return to building, rather than assembling models.

If someone does only have a few hours available then they may prefer to use that limited time flying. There are also issues around the space to build. Without the space for a dedicated build area it would become inconvenient and time consuming to have to 'tidy up' at the and of each build session.

These days our hobby offers a diversity of ways to become involved which I think is better for the future because it opens the door to more people to get involved.

Edited By avtur on 19/03/2014 09:07:25

Incidentally, I do see the appeal of having something there that you don't have months invested in. I am returning to modelling having only really ever built models, but been too afraid to fly them. I am planning on getting something cheap and ready built to learn with. Those people who never build from scratch are really missing out on much enjoyment and pride in creating something. People seem to get their enjoyment purely from owning something new. That kind of instant gratification is the exact opposite to what you get when you build something that requires thought, and the use of skills you have learned, and improved on over the years. I have been guilty of getting too hung up on wanting the thing I am working on to be finished, and getting frustrated. Now I have learned to enjoy the process of getting there much more in some ways than the finished product. Which is a good way to be I think.

Edited By mike ryan on 19/03/2014 09:11:49

Mike, I agree building is very satisfying. Some people just can be bothered and just want to fly. I'll leave them to it. I like building now and again. Still love the satisfaction of putting an artf together.

By the way, when you buy a new car, do you build it or is it ready to drive?????frown (excluding kit cars!)

Its down to the individual. We have a club member who flies about 3 times a year, and then only on the club trainer. He has a loft full of extremely well built and interesting models. But most in the club have a mixed fleet of regular built and ARTF's.

Cymaz, good point but it's the difference between driving and motoring I suppose.

It takes all types ...

Ian