Hello all. Cambria Piper Tri-Pacer

DelRay

• 2 years later...
Advert

Hello Folks,

Sorry to bring up an old thread.

I have managed to score one of these kits new in box. I'm contemplating building it this year and I got curious as to whether people think (if it fits) a Saito 180 would be overkill for it.

I want a nice size plane like this but I want to be able to run the Saito at a much lower RPM so it has a better sound. So it doesn't sound like it's being ringed to death hahaha. I'm trying for a more authentic sound.

So on that if the engine fits in the cowl do you think it would ok.

Oh by the way i'd be turning this in to a Pacer due to having good documentation on a beautiful example that is hangared a few hours drive from me.

kitfox 317.jpgp1011081.jpgThe TriPacer is a great aircraft but not that large, I have scratch built 2 from the kit that I have, The first one had a Super Tigre 90 that had plenty of power enen in the hot and High conditions in Johannesburg. The new one that I am building will have an old Enya 120 that just fits in the cowl. My kit cowl has shrunk over the years so before you start check the cowl fit to the firewall as I had to reduce the firewall to get it to fit.

kitfox 366 (2).jpg

Sterling,the American company did a very nice scale kit way back in the 60s. piper 1.jpg

Our flying site owner of some years ago rebuilt a full size Tripacer from the last nut and blt up and converted it to a Pacer many years ago.

Since then he designed and buit his own two seat aerobatic biplane, a Colomban Luciol and a two seath side by side Menestral

Always had a soft spot for the Tri-Pacer and its relatives, mainly because I learned to fly full-size on one, back in the 60's:

Actually, that was a Piper Colt, a stripped down Tri-Pacer for training. The club had two of them (G-ARNJ and G-ARNK), and also two Carribeans, a de-luxe Tri-Pacer with all mod cons. Both Colts are still flying, but one has been converted to tail-dragger configuration.

Around that time, I'd also just started flying multi-channel R/C, with a Super 60 and six channel "reeds" (rudder, elevator and throttle). The Colt flew just like the Super 60.......! wink

--

Pete

Hi all, A 180 would fit I think but you'd have to be gentle on the throttle for scale flying. The front of the model is built like a tank on the original kits so I have no doubt it's strong enough. I did get hold of a kit and it's now at the factory being dissected. There will be a few changes to the construction as the few smal trees in the current design aren't really necessary. Development of the Zero tells me that it could be a while yet though.

While your on here though Peter, do you fancy writing the instructions and proving the build?

Finally, I'll put you on the list Mr. Davis.

Hi Alan. I'll see what I can do. The Zero took forever to do as I'm a bit fussy (not a bad thing). I wanted to iron out all the issues I've come to dislike with kits. It takes a lot of effort to scrap an idea and start again when you have worked hard on it. Worth it in the end though. The Tri - Pacer has a lot of parts to look at and redesign. Also my pet hate is instructions. Once you've re written them a third time it becomes very hard to see the changes you've made and you need a fresh pair of eyes on it.

Now that I am no longer tied up with producing demonstrators of ARTFs, I appear to be returning to my must do list. This model was most certainly on my most desirable list in my 20s, but didn't quite fit into a lifestyle that involved posting every couple of years!

Yes, VERY interested in a kit.

Good luck

John