Not a mini Jazz

Advert

• 3 weeks later...

I used spruce for the joiner, I cant get on with wire, I always end up with elevators out of line.

I have fitted snakes in mate but with wire inners, rather than the plastic ones

I put a Z bend at servo end and a clevice on the outer for adjustment, have to solder an adaptor onto wire though to fit a metal clevice.

Will cover it with H.K. covering, only used it once found it very easy to use and much cheaper than Profilm.

Will put some pic's on later, I am still building it, got sidetracked by work sad

not mini jazz 006.jpgnot mini jazz 005.jpgSo far it weighs in at 24 oz, including motor, esc and lipo, only the fuzz and tail end to cover

Then add the weight of wire u/c and wheels plus 4 x 9g servo's

Wing on its own weigh's 7oz,

motor I am thinking of is turnigy D3536/6 1250 kv (500watt), 40 amp esc, 9x6 prop I think, going for 3s lipo not sure what mah I need so advice appreciated. HK covering again, good stuff, £12 for 5 metre.

A picture of snake and wire I use on small stuff, always metal clevices never use plastic myself.

not mini jazz 003.jpg

Looking good John!

You don't think 250W per pound is going to be a bit strong do you? It goes like stink with a 15 IC in it

You need to decide what power you want then how long a flight to indicate battery size. Assume you get about 80% efficiency.

So for example. 

2ib weight lets say 150W/lb gives 300W

80% efficiency takes this to 360W draw on battery at WOT

assume 3S = 12 volts so current (max) = 360/12 = 30A max (so your ESC is Ok)

a 2200mAHr LiPo would last 2.2/30hr = 4.4 minutes flat out, or about 8mins on average of 15A draw

I've probably got this wrong cause it's past my bedtime but this is sort of sum you need to do

Edited By Masher on 07/04/2014 22:42:45

Hi John

Sorry about that - I'm not really into electric models either so I should have been clearer.

WOT is Wide Open Throttle or full chat in normal speak!

Look at a motor which is equivalent to a 15 size - some people use this - I know HK do for some of their motors

Otherwise you are looking for a 300W motor - this is usually shown on Giant S site

I think 300W for this model will give you the mental performance you are looking for.

Another simple way to work out a power train is to "copy" an existing model. I know that the Acrowot foam-e is similar and does 8mins off a 2200 3S battery. Look up spare motor for that (or WOT 4 Foam-e) and see what spec that is - IIRC it's about 300W

Here is one which is specified to directly replace a 15 glow

And guess what it gives 500W max which is what you had already chosen!!!!!!!!! Some times I should just keep my trap shut, you were doing fine as you were, sorry!

Edited By Masher on 08/04/2014 07:27:36

Now I'm a bit confused!

A 40 size glow is about 1 horse power which is about 746W

So a 15 produces about 15/40 x 746 which is about 280W

This will be about 140W per ib which is supposed to be plenty

So where does the 500W come from even if we allowed only 80% efficiency this would be 400W

Sorry John, but I hope somebody better informed comes along soon crying

Edited By Masher on 08/04/2014 08:03:27

Its confusing matesad

Then you factor prop in and I get lost, it seems like you have to think backwards at times

you just taught me what WOT meant thoughwink

so I've learnt something else

Gary those servo's look interesting

cant remember what make I used on Pushy Cat, was recommended them by a club mate

will have to ask him coz cant see name now they are fitted.

• 1 month later...

mini jazz not 002.jpgmini jazz not 003.jpgmini jazz not 004.jpgmini jazz not 005.jpgmini jazz not 006.jpgI bet you've all been thinking "what's happened to johns not a mini jazz"...NOsurprise

Well i'll tell you anyway, backorder that's what. I don't like changing once I trust things, but got fed up waiting. So on recommendation bought Turnigy G15 motor and Pentium esc, metal geared digi servo's and 2200 3s lipo's, we shall see. All the buildings done just needs finishing at cowl and battery box shelf on. Canopy I made looks rubbish so i'll spray the plastic one and glue to it.

John

mini jazz not 007.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Flown today no dramas quite sprightly on the G15, balanced without lead I think I could move c.g back a bit I went for 33% of chord. Stall is non event elevator is powerful but feels right, rudder is very powerful and ailerons are crisp. Needs a touch of right thrust taking off. I think I get about 7 minutes flight but I keep forgetting to start timer, shall have to make it throttle activated. I have a 10x6 prop on, draws 34 amp, I am going to try an 11x4 ish max amps is 45 and I will check with the watt meter to make sure it's o.k. not bad for a model that cost about a tenner to make smiley

Johnjazznot 005.jpg

Edited By john stones 1 on 07/09/2014 22:06:00