Chip Shop

Danny Fenton

Advert

Like john, I didn’t fancy drilling into the end of the oleo,s and fitting with a grub screw. Too many chances for a sloppy hole, a loose screw and a wobbly leg. If I were going the oleo route I would get longer ones and fix the stub into a block in the wing as has been suggested earlier but that’s extra work. I think any extra time I’ve got I would rather put into the detailing.

I was contemplating a slightly thicker gauge, say 6 SWG, being less probe to bending and slot the wing skins where it exits, most of the slot would be hidden the shroud.

I've asked Dylan about doing the instrument panels for the Chipmunk and he said he will if I send him the drawings. He also said that if anyone else on the thread is interested, he would do them for a special price. Is anyone else interested? What he's done so far looks excellent, so I'm definitely going to ask him to do them for me.

Yes, the answer to stopping the wire turning in the oleo is :- a, making sure that the flat that is filed/ground is "FLAT" and is on the correct angle

b. don't use a grub screw, use a bolt/cap screw that is as big or slightly bigger than the wire diameter, file the end of the bolt flat, this then gives a greater area to grip the wire. when "tapping" the hole don't use a very fine thread, because it is too easy the strip, due to the depth of the thread, I use metric threads and have not had any problems.

Hope that helps

Barry

Hi Colin

Please include me for a pair of instrument panels. I live in South Africa and have been following this thread with interest. I already have the plans, wood pack, canopy and cowl and wait with bated breath for the build to commence!

Kind regards

Lynton

The instrument panels will consist of a front plate and a plain back plate, so you can sandwich in your own dials. I will etch the screws etc into the front plate as well as the dial surrounds positions, similiar to the Stampe one I have done below. For a pair of panels (front and rear cockpit) I guess at the moment would be around the £20 mark, less if I can get a decent number to do in one batch. Best thing to do is keep Colin informed and I can deal with him over it, better to deal with one person than dozens at a time. But I will keep an eye on the thread for any questions. If you do have any questions you can PM me by all means.

Good luck with the builds guys.

10653817_10152346543081274_7476610313481995600_n.jpg

Looks like I'm a little late for the instrument panel party, but I have a question.

Looking at photos of a Chippy panel, I can see maybe 4 distinct levels in relief. Clearly there has to be a background, we might be able to stick a single sheet of printed dials over this, or individual ones. Then we need a sheet with dial cutouts in it, then a sheet of clear acetate, because the glass sits proud of the dials. Next would be another sheet with cutouts, and finally a separate bezel for each instrument, because these sit proud of the surface of the main panel.
In fact, the glass of most of the instruments seems to be level or forward of the main panel.

So, how is this normally done by the top scale guys on a model at our scale?

Not too late at all Chris, I understand what you are saying here and I did think about the glazing problem, but tried to keep it simple for the sake of cost for the builders.

To do 3 layers as you are talking about, would require using, thinner ply to start with, to avoid too much weight going in, and also 0.8 ply is a lot more expensive than 1.5mm which is what I was going to use giving a 3mm thick panel.

Bezels I could etch in one piece on the front panel, but this takes time in both CAD and on the laser itself.

I could certainly look into it for a more scale like finish if you want or anyone else for that matter but, bear in mind it will cost more, but I am very open to ideas and suggestions.

Good question Chris, for one thing many of the scale guys wouldn't do much as their is not many points to be had. However I will be using styrene sheet in a similar manner to what you have just outlined. sandwiching acetate and a phot of the dials. I will be removing the needles and adding them as thin styrene rod to give depth. Mad yes probably but they are fun to make. The bezels can be made by wrapping solder around a suitably sized tube, or you can cast bezels if it s complex cockpit. For the Chippy I will use the solder route.

This is how ace builder Phil Clark tackled a Pfiel Arrow, or Do335.

lots of cast bezels.

So nothing against Dylans route I am sure they will look great, but not how I will try and do them.

Cheers

Danny