Chip Shop

Danny Fenton

Advert

That's sterling work Nigel, ccouldn't be more useful and I really appreciate the time you're taking to do it. I'm definitely going to put tabs on the ribs to fix their position in the build, but will stagger their dimensions to build in the wash-out. As I will use 2 degrees, I will increase the wing root incidence by 1degree to offset the overall reduction in incidence of 1 degree that will result from the wash-out.

Although I'm introducing Depron where I think it's genuinely advantageous, this is purely appropriate substitution and does not depend on changing the fundamental Bryant design. Basically I'm developing the view that this composite approach could be best practice all-round, for now.

I want to have a good look at the centre-section, but that must wait until I get back. It's definitely worth following the Airsail Chipmunk threads while we do this, adding the whole lot together is really powerful and must be one of the most effective single aircraft thread combinations ever on this forum, even though dealing with two different design approaches. Once again thanks to Chris and Danny. This is taking off better than even they probably expected. Definitely an exercise in learning transferable skills, although for me a 1/4 scale Chipmunk isn't a practical next step for reasons of room, transportation or value for money. It will be something else.

Well done Nigel - have you ever thought of becoming a PA or Secretary? Seriously - job well done thanks.

Colin - I think I'll have a bash at the wash out too and as there appears to be a need to re-work the plan drawn wing mount the change to incidence can be done at the same time.

Next week here looks to be wet and windy so i'm am expecting a lot of time on the Chippie.

Agree - thanks due to Danny and Chris for starting this as without them my Chippie would be in the loft still!

Terry

Posted by Danny Fenton on 01/11/2014 10:52:35:
Wow Nigel that really is excellent! Somebody building a Bryant Chippy just needs your doc well done, but dont let it take time from your build
Cheers
Danny
PS i used to know a Nigel Day at school, was best mates with his brother Dave. We went to Lakenheath High School

I've always been in love with his sister Dorisheart

John

Don't worry Danny, I did it purely for my own benefit. I only posted it in case it's of use to anyone else.

I don't remember even visiting Lincolnshire, let alone going to school there. Mind you. I've forgotten a lot of things. blush

Sorry boys, famous people run FROM our family, not IN it. smiley

Is it safe to go back to your blog now Terry? Or are you still filling it with offensive images? cheeky

Edited By Nigel Day on 01/11/2014 15:10:20

Hope to start my build within the next couple of weeks and these documents will be a great help, just like to say thanks.

After viewing the build blogs i have noticed that a few are using lasers to help with alignment, any particular brands that are favorite?

Had couple of flights today with my trainer, just trying to get back into it. 14mph wind very much on the limit for me at the moment.

SW

Spent a pleasant hour looking at the 6 A0 sheets that make up the Jerry Bates 1/4 scale Chippy. A better plan than Dennis's as far as accuracy goes. Not as light, thats for sure. But still a few areas that don't match any of my 3 views. Looks a nice build though. Two seperate wing panels with a tube joiner. 103" 20lbs

I was only jokingly suggesting a 1/4 scale Chippy next winter as I think a few of these DB Chippies will still be on the board next winter

Anyway good fun to mull the ideas over

Cheers

Danny

Danny, I think the best three-view I've seen is the APS drawing referred to in Kev's Chipmunk build. Pleased to hear that I won't have to feel guilty about not joining in on a 1/4 scale Chipmunk build that you're not going to do anyway. Phew!

Barry, I get the impression that Solartex is the one that's been mentioned so far and I'll probably use that on the open part of the wing. On the rudder I've used some beautiful lightweight Esaki silk that I just happened to have with dope and I have to say it looks good, so will do that for the elevators as well. Otherwise I would have used nylon, no problem. I've got enough of the silk for the wing as well, but I thought that with the strong shrinkage there might be a risk of warping. Even so, I could go that way instead of the Solartex, still thinking about it.

The other reason for trying this method was to find out if two coats of Ezekote would protect Depron from attack by the dope if it came into contact and it looks as if it does, so that helps to keep some of my options open. The key thing here is to explore how practical it is to use traditional covering materials on open balsa/Depron composite structures.

IMO If you want to have a dabble at competition with the DB Chippy, that three view is very good John, and the one I will probably use, the reason is it is wrong as compared to the full size, but it looks closer to the one that Dennis must have used, ie the ribs are parallel to the chord at the root which we know is not correct. In scale you model must match your docs. However the 3063 one is closer to the full size.

Cheers

Danny