Chip Shop

Danny Fenton

Advert

Hi Dylan.

One of us is having a senior moment. I think I remember you posting a link to a downloadable copy of the panel which we could print. I don't remember you saying you'd include them with the pack - but then I forget a lot of things. embarrassed

I don't think that I got a copy with my set.

Barry, if you pm me with your e-mail address I'll send over a copy of the file for you to print.

Hi guys doe's anyone know what sort of witchcraft is used to to join the rudder and both halves together if using push rods as i can't work out how you connect the push rod and be able to join the two half's as this obviously need's to be done at the same time. I have bent the connecting wire for the rudder as per plan so it fits in a groove in the bottom of the rudder.

Cheers Andy

Andy, I assembled the rudder on the bench, the operating push rod is fixed in place before you attach and hinge the rudder to the fin,then glue the bent arm (push rod) to the bottom of the rudder,.... I hope that is the Q your asking???thinking

Barry

Edited By A.A. Barry on 03/02/2015 10:56:58

Edited By A.A. Barry on 03/02/2015 10:58:06

Hi Andy, I spent a great deal of time trying to work that one out! hence deciding to go closed loop. The only thing I can suggest is perhaps connecting the pushrod to the rudder and open up the lower half bulkheads to allow the pushrod to drop into the lower section when the halves are joined.

I saw that snag looming as soon as i got the plan crook

Good luck

Cheers

Danny

Ahh I see Barry is referring to the other snagette, how to attach the actuating arm to the rudder whilst silding the rudder over the hinges crook that was part B of my struggle when I saw the plans. I have made my actuating arm slide up and down so the rudder can be fitted then the arm coated in glue and slid up to hide in a slot in the underside of the rudder. Doing it the plan way means the rudder will need fitting to the fin before joining the fuselage halves, chicken and egg face 22.

Cheers

Danny

AS I decided to make things simple I glue brass tobing to a makeshift former in line with the hinge line, slid the actutating arm though to the bottom of the fus, then adding a wheel collar and sheet brass control horn then bent it to manufacture a tail wheel wire.

The push rod exists out of the Fus bottom

That's mine, not scale but it will work

Barry

Edited By A.A. Barry on 03/02/2015 11:15:42

Hi Barry, Danny, yes it is a fiddle, i think my main problem is how to connect to the push rod end with the brass plate on for a clevis to fit to that sits inside the bottom half of the fus and then join the two half's, i have thought about leaving some movement in the rudder end so as Danny said it can then be lifted up and glued into the ruder when gluing in the rudder it's self . Hope that makes sense

Hi

This area of the build is a real minefield & some careful thinking is needed in order to prevent painting oneself into a corner.

This is the sequence I devised for my first chippie. It worked well & I will do it the same way on the next build. Hope it helps somebody.

1 Hinges. Glue the hinges to the rudder & the elevator halves. Take care to see that the hinge pins are in the right place & are in line. This will keep glue away from the hinge joint later on in the assembly. Offer the rudder / elevators to the fin / tailplane & create sockets for the other halves of the hinges. A stop in the socket is needed so that the hinge can be inserted to the correct depth & so maintain a clearance between the fixed & moving surfaces. This really needs to be done before the fin & elevator skins are glued on. The shrouds will prevent you from seeing the clearances. Make up the bottom rudder hinge from tube & a balsa spacer so that it lines up accurately with the other 2 hinges.

2 Wire elevator joiner & rudder drive. These are NOT glued into end ribs of the rudder & elevator as shown on the plan. Instead glue a short length of snake tube into grooves in the end ribs. The wire joiners should slide into these & this enables the sufaces to be removed & fitted later in the assembly.

3 Glue the tailplane to the upper fuselage shell ( it's a good idea to make the small fairing at the leading edge of the elevator first). Glue the fin in place. Insert the bottom rudder hinge through the elevator & glue it to the fin post. You may have to fiddle it in a bit & might need to enlarge the hole in the elevator skin. Make sure it is in line with the other hinges.

4 Linkages. Bothe rudder & elevator are driven with snakes. Install the snake outers into the lower fuselage shell now. You don't need to install the servos now but do think about where the will be fitted.

5 Trial fit the rudder to the fin. Connect the snake inner to the rudder. Enter the end of the snake inner into the outer & bring the 2 fuselage shells together, ( no glue yet though). Check that it works , pat yourself on the back & make a cup of tea.

6 Do the same thing with the elevator. The elevator snake inner can be pshed through the hole in F14 to enter the snake outer ( make sure you will be able to do this when you fit the snake outers).

JOBS A GOOD UN

7 You are now in a position to consider gluing the shells together. Before you do so THINK. Have you forgotten anything ? What about the tail cone at the end of the fuselage. Best start that now. It needs to be glued in place after the elevator is fitted but before the rudder.

Sorry this is a bit long. Hope it helps. Hope I've not missed anything out. The photos in the next post should help.

John