Chip Shop

Danny Fenton

Advert

Hi Danny

Maybe a bit late but here's mine, I think its the right way round.

I actually added a third clip as there was a little movement.

Its only had two landings which were greasers by my test pilot buddy, no signs of damage.

oleo stub.jpg

Looks like you will soon have yours back in the air smiley

cheers

Martin

Edited By Martin Fane on 24/09/2016 19:33:47

I'm not building a Chippie as the scale detail you chaps are including is way above my pay grade But I have been watching with interest.

The undercarriage problem being discussed here is strange. Every torsion bar undercarriage I've ever seen uses a hard wood block (often with a groove for the wire as in (say) Peter Miller's Ballerina) and a hole into the block with an extra piece to increase its depth for the anti-rotation arm. The whole is fixed firmly with clamps like the SLEC plastic ones.

I just wonder why the designer deviated from normal practice. John Timmis's arrangement is more like it but I'd just have extended the block to take the anti-rotation arm. I'm certainly no designer but I intend to modify the undercarriage on my current build, a foam winged Percival Mew Gull by inserting long hardwood blocks for a torsion bar undercarriage.

Geoff

Hi all.

I haven’t forgotten about the chippy just other things have got in the way recently, nothing serious just the usual stuff. That and a lack of mojo means I haven’t done any kind of modelling recently, building or flying. Looking at the uncovered airframe as we speak however and a large role of solartex above it, so it will be finished this winter, flying in the spring.

As much as I would love to get involved in another build, especially a big mossie, I think at 81” it’s a step too far for me but we’ll see. In the mean time I’m going to follow Nigel’s build, I might even get inspired there.

First things first though finish the chippy, can’t start another till I’ve finished this one.

Nev.

It doesn't look very pretty but I think this will do for now while I try and get another flight to check the flight characteristics.

uc remedial 5(large).jpg

The way this undercarriage is mounted is fine, Remember Dennis Bryant is a designer of the old school and was designing models quite some time ago. With me placing the arm rearwards the load was pulling the piano wire away from the block, now it is being twisted against it.

All the torsion armed modesl I have ever had which used a hole in the block worked loose very rapidly

Cheers

Danny

I'm sure you're right, Danny. You're far more experienced than I am but the hole in the block method will have to suffice for my quarter scale Mew Gull with its foam wings. I notice the undercarriage on my Ballerina is a bit loose after about 20 landings but I think is unlikely to fail despite the vagaries of my landing style.

I have the drawings and cnc parts for a Dennis Bryant 54" SE5a so I'll eventually get to know his methods

Geoff

Hi Geoff, the hole in the grooved block is very common nowadays, especially with ARTF's and it does work, but I find they loosen over time. I had a 3 Demon from YT and that did take a year or so to become wobbly, but it did become wobbly. I have a feeling the Gangster 52 also used blocks in a foam wing, they might have had a hole to retain the torsion arm. But that was a trike, the loading is different Perhaps Dennis was very focused on weight and using materials everybody would have access to?

Cheers

Danny

• 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Well folks. Better late than never. Just ordered the plans for a 1/4 scale Chippy. If I can find my ATC Logbook and some colour reference pictures of 8 AEF chipmunks flown from RAF shawbury in the late 60's to 1972 I will build a replica of the first Chippy I flew as an ATC cadet.

Fantastic Ady, which one have you gone for? I have the Dave Womersley, and the Jerry Bates 1/4 scale drawings. And parts for the Bates. It was a contender for the next Masterclass, however the Haker Fury won out instead.

Any photographs etc that I can help with just let me know, I have several walkarounds wink 2

Cheers

Danny

Hi Danny, I have ordered the Dave Wormersley one including the parts pack too. I've stalled on the cowl and canopy as I want to be sure of getting the best ones (If you can recommend any particular ones please). The canopies seem to have flat rear glazed panels whereas the T10 had bulged panels. I'm also looking at ways of getting the prop direction changed to left hand if possible.

Cheers

Adrian

PS. I seem to have hit a wall with 8AEF logos of the late 60's era. Any pics will be gratefully received

Edited By Ady Hayward on 22/08/2017 11:26:20

Posted by Ady Hayward on 22/08/2017 09:47:10:

Well folks. Better late than never. Just ordered the plans for a 1/4 scale Chippy. If I can find my ATC Logbook and some colour reference pictures of 8 AEF chipmunks flown from RAF shawbury in the late 60's to 1972 I will build a replica of the first Chippy I flew as an ATC cadet.

Hi Ady which cadet unit were you with ?

Hi Adrian, I thought that the cowl on Davids is mainly made from litho plate? there may be a cowl ring for the front, but a fellow of your talent should be able to knock one up

I bought the canopy and canopy frame from Phil Clark at Fighteraces. It is for the quarter scale Jerry Bates, but knowing Phil it will be accurate to a 1/4 scale Chipmunk! Should fit anything at 1/4 scale

The Bates cowl is pants and quite innacurate..... It cost me a couple of hundred pounds to find out unfortunately....

Good luck and hopefully will get to follow along your build

Cheers

Danny

Hi Martian,

I was with 493 Kings Heath & Moseley Squadron when we lived in the South of Birmingham. I was with them around 6 years up to my joining the RAF as a Halton Brat (Armourer).

Danny​,

I will probably build the cowl from litho plate as I would prefer a scale means of access to the engine. I did ask Fighter Aces about the canopy and was told that the rear panels are flat due to the likelihood of release issues should they have been moulded with the bulged panels. I will probably experiment as I would like to have the canopy able to open and I do like their extra canopy frame moulding..

Cheers

Adrian