Chip Shop

Danny Fenton

Advert

OK, I shall start again on this thread.

When I was just under five years old we moved to Swindon because my father knew something about new metals, titanium and zirconium, and got a job as a buyer for Vickers Aircraft which was only a couple of miles away. In those days there were Vampires, Venoms or whatever regularly flying over our house breaking the sound barrier. I was given an aircraft recognition chart and guess what was my favourite outline? The Chippy was a fairly common sight then.

I have since built a Tiggy. Stampe and Mew Gull with that nose shape so this one just had to happen.

I need something to occupy me in the shed for a long time and the last build, the Super Aeromaster went together rather more quickly than expected. This one at my version of 1:5 scale may take a little longer.

Strangely I started with the GRP hinges since they are needed to get anywhere. I now have the tail and elevators mostly built and with a bit of persuasion from a Dremel and sandpaper have got one to fit-ish. How much elevator movement is required?

Pics of the brass tubing being soldered to the PCB material and the build so far.

chipmunk 002.jpg

chipmunk 003.jpg

chipmunk 004.jpg

chipmunk 005.jpg

chipmunk 006.jpg

Someone please remind me never to build a tailplane like that again, it would have been much simpler to build it upside down and accept that it would have a little dihedral.

Edited By Martin McIntosh on 11/10/2020 20:52:37

Now got both elevator halves shaped and they seem to fit reasonably well. I practice I shall space them by 1/16th from the tail TE. I glued an extra strip of balsa inside each shroud to strengthen them. The joiner has also been made with a silver soldered horn and will be epoxied in on final assembly. Since the hinges float about a bit in their elevator pockets at the moment I shall have to cross my fingers that everything eventually moves freely.

chipmunk 007.jpg

chipmunk 008.jpg

A bit more of the tail, this time with the tips added. These took ages with pins and tape everywhere trying to hold the elevators level in order to shape them.

chipmunk 009.jpg

chipmunk 010.jpg

Fin and rudder next. Taking on board the problems encountered I decided to build the fin over a central core which was later cut away. The ribs were cut down the centre to do this and I did not need to worry about the angles of them. Slight problem. I fitted and sanded the tip then realised that I had to sheet the fin making the rudder too thin so I added more sheeting to the tip and the rudder ribs which worked out OK. The shrouds are from 1/64" GRP and I think that I should have just about enough rudder movement. No hinges glued as yet and just wondering whether to get some Goriila glue for these but have never tried it. Problem will be keeping them central with the correct gap but that is way in the future.

chipmunk 011.jpg

chipmunk 012.jpg

Wing ribs to cut next I think!

Sorry but probably a dumb question. On my 1:5 scale version I now have all the ribs and the (now) light ply doublers done along with the dihedral braces but do I build each half separately omitting the braces then add the centre section later in order to get the dihedral equal on each side or just rely on the angles working out correctly using the braces?

• 3 weeks later...

Had a stroke of luck for a change. Seagull do an 80" so called 1:5 scale Chippy so I have now got a spare canopy for one. Choice was yellow or green so I picked the latter. I was hoping that the colouring would be in stick on film which I could peel off but it is actually painted.

I have eventually done the aileron and flap shroud with 1/32nd ply on top and balsa under this. I think that everything should now go together OK. I now need to work out the ail/flap centre line in order to fit the tips.

Trust the shops to stop selling balsa when I am about to start on the fus. but I think that I shall have enough in stock.

Question. Anybody know where I can get a suitable 1:5 pilot other than having one made? I have looked everywhere I can think of.

Posted by Martin McIntosh on 09/11/2020 18:15:18:

I can possibly vacform those bits as an add on but way in the future.

I had a 1/4 scale pilot made by a company in Wales for my Stampe. Reasonably expensive but he looks the business. Just wish that I could remember what they call themselves.

Hello Martin, was it by any chance AH ( Alan Hawes )Designs? they were in Wales and made model pilots. If so, sadly Alan passed away a little time ago.............Mal.

Edited By mal brewer on 09/11/2020 18:58:33

Martin, if you are looking for a long term project ,i think you have found one, i have been on my Chippy for 2+ years and at last its complete and ready for paint, i have test run it down the back lawn and all seems O.K. its electric and i was interested to see if there was sufficient power to fly, it did not take off, but you can tell if there is enough power , similar set up to Dannies, but slightly smaller motor, but 6 s battery . My main grey area when building the wing was trying to understand the underside mid section of the wing, i used an underside photo in a Fly-Past mag, i think it was an article on the B.B.M.F. and there was a flying underside shot of their Chippy. best of luck with yours, if you are looking for balsa and in the west mids., try Penn models at Kingswinford- after the shut down obviously, i was in there just before shut down and they were well stocked for balsa and other hard woods and reasonably priced.

Thanks Geoff. I have got past the wing centre undersection having firstly got it in completely the wrong place and then only slightly wrong which I am correcting. Using the braces the dihedral only works out at 2.4" each side which is rather less than the 2.75" quoted on the plan for the 1:6 scale but I can live with that.

I know Penn Models but have not lived in the W.M. for a long time; now in Bucks.

Als in M.K. had loads four weeks ago but now depleted and he has a thick pile of mail orders for the stuff so when I went in last week I was limited as to what I could buy and just had to guess as to the quantity needed. Had just enough 3/32nd to do the wing (remember that mine is a larger version) but may be a bit short of 1/8th for the fus.

Currently scroll sawing the formers because I am tired of wing things for now. The whole construction of this model is alien to me and I have never made a fus. in two halves before. Since I shall not use engine bearers a rethink of the front end construction will be needed too

Posted by Martin McIntosh on 09/11/2020 16:16:12

Question. Anybody know where I can get a suitable 1:5 pilot other than having one made? I have looked everywhere I can think of.

I only had a half depth cockpit in my 1/5 Chipmunk, and used one of the JP latex waist-up busts, can't remember if it was the "Civilian" or "Sportsman", but probably Civilian. Bought an Action Man helmet off Ebay that fitted perfectly, made a visor and boom mike and painted it all up in military rig, it looked OK.

img_3132.jpg