Chip Shop

Danny Fenton

I was in 495 (Sutton Coldfield) and wanted to build my Chippe on the same basis. I looked back in my old spotters book and know that the one I modelled (sadly it is nomore) was at Shawbury in the early 70s. (WP839/A). I could never actually guarantee it was the aircarft my first flight was in, but it must stand a good chance!

dscn0004 small.jpg

Advert

• 2 weeks later...

Thats great news Adrian, you certainly have plenty of reference material

I suppose I should update this thread really as my Chippy has competed at the British Nationals, as many of you will know. Some even came and said hi over the week end

Chris Bott took some smashing photographs, and they will appear in a future copy of RCM&E I am sure.

But here is a sneak preview

British Nationals 2017.jpg

Cheers

Danny

• 2 months later...

I can see I'm going to have to add a Chippie to the list of models waiting to be built.

I was 43F ATC (Mitcham & Morden) and we did our air experience out of White Waltham. Like Ady, I was with them for a number of years before becoming a Cosford Brat (Air Radar).

• 1 year later...

I hope people still look at this excellent post.i am miles behind all you good people but am getting together all the bits and pieces for this chipmunk build.

SLEC have supplied me with a set of the horns so that is good.

Just need to ask, my preferred power supply would be a Saito 62b.

would this give enough power for this model or should i go up a bit.

I have an ASP 70 but looking at this it is quite chunky and would need a fair bit of chopping to accomodate the rear cab etc.

i also have a saito 72 which would fit fine.

Any info would be greatly appreciated

From my experience with an identically sized Airsail 1/6 scale Chippie, there should be absolutely no problem using the 62. Mine is no lightweight with onboard glow, the top halves of an Action Man and Barbie occupying the cockpits and a fair sized lump of lead contributing to a flying weight of over 8 1/2 lbs. Power is an OS 52 FS which is more than sufficient - take offs are done on less than 1/2 throttle to avoid ridiculously short take off runs! It loops from level flight and easily gives far better than scale performance.

I was considering using a Saito 40 when I built it and the designer told me that the prototype flew satisfactorily on a tired OS 40 FS...

Thank you for your reassurance with the Saito 62. I also have a Saito 40FS but had not considered it sufficiently powerful for the Chippie. At present it pops along at 1/2 throttle in Baron Rouge which is a delight to fly. I have my Saito 62 in a Flair Pup at present and will consider buying another from Topmodel France who have 5 in stock. To Andy Muckley, i am indeed interested in your offer. Perhaps you could give me an idea where you are in UK. I am over from sunday next for 2 weeks so perhaps could sort something out

• 11 months later...

Hi Danny, I have, but it needs some attention to the wing, but the rest is almost built. If the weather is good I can bring it down to the field for you at the weekend, or if you like I can meet you there to hand it over any day this week after 10am and before 13.00. P. M. Me if you interested

Posted by Andy Muckley on 25/08/2020 18:01:57:

Hi Danny, I have, but it needs some attention to the wing, but the rest is almost built. If the weather is good I can bring it down to the field for you at the weekend, or if you like I can meet you there to hand it over any day this week after 10am and before 13.00. P. M. Me if you interested

'Tis me who's enquiring via Danny, Andy. PM sent.

• 1 month later...

Changed my mind about starting my own blog because I already have questions and run into a possible snag with the elevator hinges which I am sure has been addressed here but cannot find the answer.

Having built the tail bar final shaping I have made a start on the elevators. The hinges are glued into the tail but how will I be able to fit the screws into position for final assembly because they would be buried in the elevator LE? Or do I have to glue the hinges to the elevators after covering and finishing?

Hi Martin, I made up the hinges, and used locknuts. Gluing one part to the tailplane and made pockets into which I could slide the elevators onto when they were covered. Sort of like making glass board Robart pin hinges

0129.jpg

There are a thousand pics on my build thread that might help?

Cheers

Danny

Thanks Danny, it looks as though I shall have to poke epoxy into the holes in the elevators on final assembly so shall add an extra rib the other side of the hinges on them to make a proper job I hope. All hinges have holes drilled to allow the glue to grab. I too have soldered brass tubing to the PCB hinges to minimise wear, a long and thankless task on that lot.

I have some pics but will wait until I have got a bit further. Going through the website to find the bits I want is a nightmare.

My local print shop has only recently acquired a plotter and have not as yet worked out how to do a mirror image of the wing. I could do with this as I would be able to cut out the ribs to draw round rather than ruining the original print, but there is another place which may be able to do it.