charging liFe batteries

dan c 1

You don't HAVE to use "fire-bags" for charging anything, but of course, you can if you wish.

I've been using LiPo and LiFe packs for many years and although some folk use the sacks, I have never bothered - I prefer to keep the packs in view whilst they charge, and just use sensible precautions and have never experienced any issues at all.

Some Life cells are the hard can-type cell - like a sub-C nickel or "torch" cell, and these are far more rugged than the soft pouch type which are now appearing more frequently.

Same rules?

Well the charge algorithm is slightly different, but the charger when set to LiFe will sort that out, and the rest is pretty much the same, charge at 1C normally although many are OK at higher rates - check what the info says on the pack regarding maximum charge and discharge rates. Although they don't tend to go out of balance as much as LiPo do - especially at low current discharge rates such as just radio power - but its still best to balance charge.

what rates can you discharge them at ? - does it say on battery ? , having secured one in place thats hard to get too , wanted to balance it in place, can it be done or am i going to have to take it out, its a 6.6vindecision

having just looked at picture at HK it says 20c also says 3.4smiley

so what does 20c tell me for discharge and what does 3.4 mean, indecision

Edited By iqon on 22/03/2014 13:05:08

Put me down as a charger in place, Lipos out but LiFe in. The Turnigy 1700mAHr 2S LiFe rx pack I have in my hand as I type says 20C discharge. Probably optimistic as I doubt the wiring fitted would cope with 34A. 10A maybe, but that would be pushing it (servo connector and JST mini are fitted)

blusherm, if you charge the LiFe softpacks as LiPo they get very warm, warm enough to melt the shrink wrap, and make very strong hot electric smells but the one I cooked didn't explode or burst into flames but was swollen enough to make it very hard to extract from the airframe it was in.  It still failed to react when I dropped a brick on it (in the garden of courseteeth 2)

Edited By Bob Cotsford on 22/03/2014 14:15:13

Posted by iqon on 22/03/2014 12:59:17:

what rates can you discharge them at ? - does it say on battery ? , having secured one in place thats hard to get too , wanted to balance it in place, can it be done or am i going to have to take it out, its a 6.6vindecision

having just looked at picture at HK it says 20c also says 3.4smiley

so what does 20c tell me for discharge and what does 3.4 mean, indecision

Edited By iqon on 22/03/2014 13:05:08

I can't see anything with that spec on the HK site but I would assume this is a 3.4 Ah (or 3400 mAh) battery - what you need is the max C charge rate from the data on the site. Then, for example, if it says 5C you can multiply the capacity by 5 (e.g. 3.4 x 5 = 17A) to give the maximum permissible charge rate.

Better if you can post a link to your particular battery so that we can confirm what it will take.

these are the ones i bought, my mistake , thought it said 3.4, so the 3.0 is for 3000 mah, but if i want to balance, i assume will have to set charger to discharge ? , if so at what rate.......any advice appreciatedindecision

battery.jpg

Posted by adrian lawrence 1 on 23/03/2014 06:27:26:

Hi iqon, you will not have to discharge to balance, if the balance plug from the battery is plugged into your charger it will automatically balance whilst charging.

i like most balance charge every time, doesn't mean they are actually balanced when you check them ...indecision

Posted by crispin church on 23/03/2014 17:08:19:

they do most off them

i was trying to get a cross that unless you choose balance charge it dont balance

just because balance lead plugged in when in charge mode dont mean cells will be balanced

if you see what i mean

I was reassuring myself Christian, new to lifes and lipo's seeing if I understood correctly

my post came over wrongblush sorry