Hanger 9 P47 Thunderbolt 60

Rich, if you use a servo disc & set the fittings at the correct distance apart you will be ok. The servo goes 180 degrees so will end up a mirror image of where it started. There is a bit ok a knack setting them up but it's quite simple.

Do it with the wheels up & give the 2 rods a pull to allow for the movement for the wheel locking.

Edited By Justin K on 02/05/2014 18:18:08

Edited By Pete B - Moderator on 03/05/2014 08:04:39

Advert

I must have been very lucky. The H9 P47 was my first model with retracts and I was prepared, from what I'd heard, for a struggle to get them working correctly. However, I just connected everything up and they worked perfectly first time, with no adjustment necessary. Maybe I should now be worried for next time!

I had to shorten the retract rods on mine. Just finished repairing mine after a dead stick crash these jugs are quite tough mine stalled in from about 10ft and only damage was to cowl wing leading edge and slight damage to firewall. Have re-engined mine with a ASP 120fs so going to re-check the c of g and then test fly it.

Mine has an OS .91 Surpass with about 12 ozs in the nose to balance correctly. Not sure how much difference there is between the glow and petrol engines. The stated throws ARE in each direction; so aileron (low rate) is 1/2 inch up from neutral and 1/2 down from neutral - 1 inch movement from fully up to fully down.

With its short nose and if you have installed the elevator and rudder servos in the rear fuselage it will need a bit of weight up front. I fitted my flight battery's each side of the fuel tank which helped with the c of g. When you do fly it fly it smoothly and gently they don't like being chucked about like a sport plane.

Mark.

Edited By Mark a on 05/05/2014 15:00:03

Mmmm, the dle 20 is the best part of 28oz all up, but I guess i'm not far from your figures - it took a while to figure out how to do it but I have added 16oz to be on the safe side, and hopefully I'll be able to remove some.

I have read that some are flying over 10lbs auw and fly great so weight doesn't appear to be an issue..

Thanks

Rich

ps yes, I have some rather heavy mg servos in the rear...

pps just waiting for a nice evening for the maiden now....

Edited By Rich2 on 05/05/2014 15:14:43

Edited By Rich2 on 05/05/2014 15:15:37

I've had my H9 P47 for a number of years with tail mounted servos, OS 91 pumped, with batteries (Rx & retract) mounted on servo plate as designed and do not need any nose weight. I wonder what may have changed to make so many needing nose weight?

Posted by jrman on 05/05/2014 21:08:55:

I've had my H9 P47 for a number of years with tail mounted servos, OS 91 pumped, with batteries (Rx & retract) mounted on servo plate as designed and do not need any nose weight. I wonder what may have changed to make so many needing nose weight?

An interesting question indeed when I first built mine I fitted it out as you have and it was very tail heavy, now its got a 120 up front I will stick it on the c of g machine tomorrow and have a look.

It is a mystery, a plane designed for 60 power and tail servos, needs a 1lb of lead on the nose with a dle 20 mounted up front!!

Rich

ps i'll maiden it and see what its like, if it needs that amount of lead, I'll look into converting it into useful weight - battery for the retracts or something.

• 2 weeks later...

I had the day off work yesterday and decided to mow the strip. The weather turned out to be so good I could not resist taking my (incomplete) P47 for its maiden. I ran a tank through, had some problems taxiing due to the grass still being too long, but flew she did. And she flies and sounds awesome - probably overpowered if I'm honest!

Unfortunately, it nosed over on landing and broke the prop and cracked the tail- nothing not easily fixed.

It occurred to me, is anyone running petrol engines without a filter?

Also, I have a 1lb of lead up front, restrained with zip ties. this broke free on landing, is there a better way to secure?

Cheers

Rich

img-20140515-00419.jpg

img-20140515-00420.jpg

My P47 has a ASP 120 four stroke in it but my Sbach has a JC28 petrol and I have an inline filter in the fuel feed line and the carb has its own filter in it as well. Not surprised you nosed over in that grass its a bit long, as for the lead you could try glueing it in once your happy with the balance.

I've just finished one of these myself but not yet flown it. I have an ASP 120FS up front and it balances exactly to spec 4.5 " back from LE at root without any lead. Where is your CG? Maybe a bit too far forward hence the nose over? The model looks to have a very safe thick wing (hence no flaps) so maybe some experimentation with its flying characteristics will permit some of the lead to come out.

Edited By Cuban8 on 16/05/2014 12:29:54