HOUSE SAFE?

mervyn robb

Advert

It does seem wrong to send lipos off to landfill. I read once that it would be impossible to make all vehicles in the world electric, because there just is not enough lithium to make the batteries! My local Sainsbury store say its ok to deposit them in their battery recyling bin! Maybe we will get an EU directive on this matter soon. In the meantime I will keep mine safe and cool. (Air-conditioned sand bucket in a pit in the middle of the garden.) smiley

Edited By Stuart Coyle on 28/03/2014 00:56:26

If you have the latest BMFA News, a write up on page 28, " A burning issue smoulders on " says "The suggestion that disposal should be preceded by degradation in a bucket of salt water is not now recommended." . The process adds lithium salts to the water,and if disposed into the drainage system is likely to affect the work of our water authorities who use Lithium as a trace element when locating leaks . Read it to get more info. Two pages worth.

It's nice to see more information like this coming out, and an organisation like the BMFA giving a write up on it. I liked the BMFA News before, but i now enjoy it even more. ' Singing off the same hymn sheet comes to mind ' as giving us the latest information on what to do gives us guidance.

Regarding the disposal of old batteries, I've heard the salt water suggestion a few times, but I don't understand how that could effect the internal of the battery. I've seen lipos puff up a little with use, which is presumably gas being released by the chemicals inside the pack. If the packaging of the pack is sufficient to contain the gas then surely it would also mean it would not let the salt water into the pack.

I'd just like to understand the reasoning a little more if anybody has any ideas?

r.

Nor me, Robin - when I've done it I carefully slit each cell along its edge, reasoning that there will then be some interaction with the salt water. I always discharge the pack first using a bulb of some description. If the pack has a Deans connector, I've found the halogen MR16 spotlamp bulbs are a nice push fit.

Pete

I have a couple of old ammo tins for storage/travel to field with some vermiculite sheets to the sides, top and bottom.... I also use the same on the soldering/brazing bench!.. super safe... Additionally any Lipos are charged between two small sheets of vermiculite.. plus a have a couple of charge bags for use at the field..

and I'm 94% IC flyer ! wink

I better find a fireproof container big enough for my laptop, cellphone, MP3 player, games box, torch etc. As for putting them in my pocket wink

But seriously, as has been discussed frequently (and then some) all batteries are a source of energy, and should be given due precaution.

Where do your children charge their gadgets? in an ammo box or in their bedroom?

Use reliable chargers, charge within manufacturers limits, store in a suitable container. Be aware of the dangers and consequences; but mostly keep a sense of proportion with this.