RCM&E May 2014 issue

Essjay

I recently renewed my subscription, taking up the "Digital and Print" option. I was told the first issue for my download would be May '14.
Imagine my surprise when the download for May became available YESTERDAY!, a full week before the published date for the print copy.
Now I'm in a quandary, do I download a copy, or do I wait for my copy to drop through the letterbox?.................ooh! decisions, decisions! )

Advert

I almost choked on my Corn Flakes this morning. I was flicking through last Months mag and noticed a really impressive photo of a 5m span electric assist Valenta Thermic at one of my local slopes, Rhossili.

Then the horror struck. There was a prop and motor being used on National Trust land/property. Not PC! especially at such a popular, famous place.

I have chatted to the local NT employees and they are a nice bunch. Lets not upset them. Perhaps the Editors, photo editors or columnists should be mindful of such errors.

Other than that, thanks for a great magazine.

Mk

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 07/04/2014 20:43:38

I'm willing to be proven wrong on this but the model on the cover isn't Charlie Cox's YT Hellcat ARTF, its Steve Ricketts plan built Hellcat (Jerry Bates, I think), is it that hard to get the credits right? I'm still a bit narked since I didn't get a mention for my Sopwith Camel that was on the previous months cover. Also, the Dawn Patrol article a couple of months ago, the mag asked me to do the captions for the pictures, which I took the trouble to do only for a good few of them to be recaptioned inaccurately!! Whats going on lately?

Rant over! But it isn't that hard to pick up a phone and ask folks who's a model was is it?

Ian.

Reg, don't shoot the Editor! It is not Graham's fault, it is all mine. I stand corrected. There were a few Hellcats flying that day. Unusually, because of the cross-wind, I was actually on the other side of the strip to take those shots, so I was not standing with the pilots, where I normally reside. Also, Steve published a very similar shot on his Facebook page very shortly after the event, which (paradoxically) led me to believe that he had taken a great picture of someone else's flying model! You might be surprised at the effort I make to get things right, but taking your own shots as well as getting your own details in a very busy event is always a bit fraught. Incidentally, I did make email enquiries before I made my best guess between those two Hellcats, and drew a blank. In the past, I used to hand out proformas to pilots to fill out at scale events, but I always got too few back to use. Therefore, I have resumed manual note-booking. For some restitution, if you drop me an email, I will send you the original of last month's Camel cover shot. [email protected].

I noticed that FWAL suggests or maybe implies that it is not allowed to fly a propeller driven model on NT land. I am not sure that this can be correct. One of my clubs flies on NT owned land and i also know that propeller driven models fly from within Tatton Park also a NT owned property.

Essjay

The link only states that the NT encourages non power flying models on its properties.

For reasons that can be conjectured it omits any reference to acceptability or otherwise to powered flight.

As I have stated, there is powered flight on NT land by a club that I am a member of and also by a club in Tatton Park, Cheshire, nr. Knutsford.

Rather than avoiding flying on NT land i would encourage the BMFA to seek greater access to NT properties. Obviously in a controlled manner.

I often have a feeling that there is some antipathy towards electric assist gliders by some slope flyers. The impression, warranted or not, is one of, "this is our slope, just butt out". Particularly as a safety measure, there is a lot to recommend electric power as back up.

I often have a feeling that there is some antipathy towards electric assist gliders by some slope flyers. The impression, warranted or not, is one of, "this is our slope, just butt out". Particularly as a safety measure, there is a lot to recommend electric power as back up.

Everyone is entitled to their opinions so I can't disagree with you as such. However, Rhossili and The Gower Peninsular is a mecca for a lot of people with diverse interests. We all try to be courteous and respect each others enjoyment . Hence the NT's BMFA's 'Silent Flight' guidance. It is therefore worthless debating wether it is safer or not.

I'm just a little surprised that people who can afford 5m full house gliders need to take a powered glider to one of the best slopes in Britain. And one of the best RC hobby magazines is willing to post the pictures. The last thing anybody wants is to have RC gliders being blanket banned from this epic location.