RCM&E May 2014 issue

Essjay

Advert

Posted by Derek Stevenson on 11/04/2014 18:18:23:

I requested an article on glassing about two months ago. I got a quick reply asking what I would like to know about it, after my reply I was told it would be done. When I got my copy in the post yestrrday it was the first article I read and was sooooooo pleased. Thanks for listening and a big thanks to Danny for the article. Will I glass my next model, thats still to be answered. Great mag, love it as a subscriber for many years.

Thanks Derek hope you got something out of it, the best thing to do is have a go. And thanks for asking, at least on this ocassion we were able to help. I think CS asked yonks and yonks ago for cockpit detailing, I will get to it, honest wink 2

Cheers

Danny

• 2 weeks later...

Did anyone else spot that the Kamco Kalypso was about to lose its left wing strut ?

BTW, I learned to fly on the Kamco Kadet in 1975 and a few years later also had the Kamco Kossack. The Kossack flew great with a .40 up front and different to look at with the small lower wing (ailerons on top wing only).

Safe landings

Roger

Edited By Roger in Dubai on 27/04/2014 07:10:21

Posted by stuey on 10/04/2014 17:52:16:

Hi, a question for David Ashby. I see in the review for the ME-109 that you used the Eflite retracts which are strut ready, and the struts. I have fitted these retracts to my Seagull Sea Fury, and I am looking for some struts to go with them. I think the P-47 versions may work, what are your opinions on the sturdiness and quality please? They are the best part of £70 so a valued opinion if you can offer it would be welcome

Hi Stuey I fly a Hangar 9 P47 with Eflite retracts & struts, they are good quality units & cope well with our slightly bumpy grass strip. Also the model is heavy as I've 1.3 k of lipo weight.

Well, it only goes to show!

I had thought peel ply was a cloth that was used to enable a good bond to be achieved without scarifying the surface, particularly when it was not possible to do the lay-up in one go for whatever reason.

I had thought it also left a slightly rough surface.

To get rid of excess resin I used to use kitchen roll, but principally by only wetting out to a damp look, then vacuum bagging. All seem a lot of effort now. Plus I understand my methods are very much old school and prehistoric. I personally would still need to finish, although I would get a good glass bond.

Edited By Erfolg on 28/04/2014 17:07:53

By the way I am complaining about glider launching systems.angry 2

Where are the power winches, Probably the favourite competition towing method in this era.

What about probably the most common rubber when bungees were the way, that is 1/4"-5/16" sq. solid rubber. Does not lock up like braided bungee cords, nor are there friction losses as it contracts. Instead you get a really strong pull, which would be manipulated by the use of the wind, weaving and elevator use.