Traplet Farmhand 90

Advert

Wing leading edge shaped.
Servo draw wires re-routed to the root of the wing.

dscn2721low[1].jpg

Dihedral braces made up from two kit parts laminated together for strength.
The angle is pre-set and the width matches the gap between the front and rear spars - hence the different size.

dscn2740low[1].jpg

Area between the spars marked out.

dscn2741low[1].jpg

And slots cut to accept the braces.
The inner face of the slots are flush with the wing webs, giving a large surface area to glue to in addition to being wedged between the spars - should be pretty strong.

dscn2742low[1].jpg

Test fit of the dihedral braces - must remember to put them in the right way. Negative dihedral is not a good thing!

dscn2743low[1].jpg

Full strength epoxy used to join the wing halves.
Scrap balsa clamped to trailing edge to hold in alignment. They naturally aligned bang on anyway.
Leading edge had a small gap but was easily filled with epoxy.

Now that's what I call a wing. Wing tips still to be added. Left them off for now so that it will stand up on its own like this.

dscn2744low[1].jpg

Next to fit the wing locating tab into the wing and leave it to set.

First, the wing is supported level (important to get each wing level for this bit).
Packing used to position the locating tab level with the couple of dots I had previously marked on the leading edge, in line with the slots in the root ribs.
A line is drawn to mark where the slot for the locating tab is to be cut.

dscn2745low[1].jpg

Slot cut and ready for the locating tab.
Note that the slot is an extension of the slots in the root wing ribs.

dscn2749low[1].jpg

This shows how far the locating tab slides into the wing.
It is pushed in as far as it will go. The pointed end of the tab sits in the bottom of the slots in the ribs, leaving about half an inch of tab sticking out of the wing.

dscn2750low[1].jpg

Locating tab glued in place.dscn2751low[1].jpg

Edited By Gary Manuel on 12/04/2014 21:52:51

Wing bandage applied. In retrospect I would have applied the bandage before cutting the slot. Any pencil marks on the wing would still be visible through the bandage.

dscn2753low[1].jpg

This is OK - especially after trimming / sanding, but might have been better if the slot had been cut later.

dscn2754low[1].jpg

Posted by john stones 1 on 12/04/2014 21:58:16:

Looks well thought out kit Gary, very sturdy

Hows it feel weight wise ?

Hi John,

Not the lightest of builds, but then Massey Ferguson don't build their tractors light wink

I think the weight is justified by its planned use as a tug / toffee bomber / general work-horse.

Now I'm making this bit up as I go along so it might not go as planned :?
I want to reinforce the wing at the point it contacts the fuselage, so I'm adding a thin layer of fibre glass.

Fuselage measures between 220mm (rear) and 230mm (front) at the wing.
Allowing about 25mm each side, I cut a 280mm strip of fine glass cloth using a straight edge and a new number 11 scalpel blade on my sheet of glass.

dscn2755low[1].jpg

I then cut a 100mm (4 inch actually) slot corresponding to the wing locating tab in order to avoid the cloth joint on the leading edge.

dscn2756low[1].jpg

Cloth in place ready for wetting.

dscn2757low[1].jpg

Masking tape applied to give a neater edge.
Epoxy applied by brush over the top of the cloth. Dabbed into place until it soaked through to the balsa underneath.
Heat applied / smoothed over with a credit card a couple of times to remove surplus epoxy. There wasn't much cos' I'm tight :twisted:
I used Bob Smith 20min Finish Cure Epoxy, which is designed for the job. It's easy to sand and can be worked (with heat applied) for up to 2 hours.
Looks ok to me.
Just need to let it set with masking tape removed.
Bulldog clips applied to keep the cloth at the trailing edge in place.

dscn2758low[1].jpg

dscn2759low[1].jpg

Posted by Roy Mundy on 12/04/2014 22:05:08:

A Cracking build Gary, you've got to be pleased with that.

i think the dusty colour scheme will be great too.

well done

Hi Roy,

I am very pleased with it.

It won't be a mad aerobatic model and I think the Dusty scheme will add a bit of "fun" to flying it.cheeky

After a bit of trimming and sanding, I attempted to fit the wing to the fuselage.
Still a bit of trimming to go, but it's taking shape now.

dscn2760low[1].jpg

A balsa fillet behind the wing on the fuselage will sort that gap out.

dscn2761low[1].jpg

Side view. This is actually taken with plane and camera upside down on the stand.
There is only gravity holding the wing on at the moment obviously.

dscn2762low[1].jpg

A bit of careful sanding should see a closer fit.

I'll probably put wing seating tape on as well.

dscn2763low[1].jpg

Time to add the flappy bits to the wing.
This build has substantial ailerons and flaps.
The ailerons are going to be centre hinged with top and bottom bevels to allow upward and downward movement.
The flaps will be hinged near the lower edge of the trailing edge as they only need to move downwards, but by quite a large angle.

Centre line and position of the ailerons marked (left). The flaps are marked 2mm from the top edge (right).

dscn2764low[1].jpg

Hinges throughout the model are to be Du-bro No. 257 Heavy Duty pinned hinges

dscn2766low[1].jpg

Last time I cut hinge slots, I was disapointed at the sharpness of the cutting edges on the slot cutting tool, which look like this:

dscn2767low[1].jpg

After 5 minutes with a Dremel / diamond grinding wheel, the edges are much better.

dscn2768low[1].jpg

Trial fit of left aileron and flap.

dscn2777low[1].jpg

Hinges assembled and hinge edge lightly coated with Vaseline to hopefully, prevent the hinges being glued solid

dscn2778low[1].jpg

Hinges epoxied (full strength - slow cure) into flap, ready to be inserted into wing slots.

dscn2779low[1].jpg

Top of wing with all control surfaces in place.
Hopefully, the vaseline will have done its job and I/ll be able to pull the pins out to split the hinges when the epoxy sets.

dscn2780low[1].jpg

Bottom of the wing

dscn2781low[1].jpg

Now for the wing tips.
Offcuts of 12mm stuck to the lite-ply wing tip former to form the basic leading edge shape

dscn2783low.jpg

And the trailing edge

dscn2784low.jpg

Sheeting added from the leading edge to the main spar position. A bit of bending was necessary here

dscn2786low.jpg

Edge triangle added for strength and after a bit of shaping the wing tips look like this

dscn2787low.jpg

dscn2788low.jpg

I later added offcuts of balsa to the tip rib to fill in the oval hole and add strength to the tip former.

Edited By Gary Manuel on 13/04/2014 08:46:28

Wings pretty much complete. Time to sort out the wing fixing.
Remember earlier when I added a block of balsa inside the trailing edge at the wing bolt position?
I drilled the 6mm holes (pilot drilled then increased in size) through the wing and into the wing bolt box in the fuselage.
The holes through the wing are solid balsa, so it looks like I got my sums right smiley

The holes in the wing box were then drilled out to 8mm to accept the thick central part of the captive nuts

This is a trick I always use for securing the captive nuts wink
Use a ply washer, or make them up as here. I've made it 6mm thick by gluing 2 offcuts together.
Mark the position of the captive nut spikes by pressing them into the washer

dscn2793low.jpg

Then drill them out with a 1.5mm drill.
This helps the captive nut penetrate the ply washer without slipping, twisting or splitting the ply.

dscn2794low.jpg

Apply epoxy between the captive nut and ply washer - it shouldn't get into the thread because the central part of the captive nut is a close fit with the 8mm hole in the ply washer.

dscn2795low.jpg

The epoxied captive nut / ply washer was then cyano'd to the under-side of the wing bolt box using the 8mm hole as a guide viewed from above.

6mm steel bolt with a couple of washers and oversize nuts prepared ready to pull the captive nuts into the washers.

dscn2801low.jpg

Bolt / washer / nut assembly screwed through the wing bolt box into the captive nut.
Captive nut not pulled into the ply yet.

dscn2800low.jpg

Socket set used to tighten the bolt.

dscn2803low.jpg

Captive nut pulled into the ply. Epoxy will hold it there and is well clear of the threads.This technique works for undercarriage and engine mount captive nuts also.

dscn2802low.jpg

Now for the tail feathers:
All tail components skinned on the remaining side and roughly sanded to shape.

Slot cut in the fuselage to accept the stabiliser

dscn2807low.jpg

And then the rudder.

dscn2809low.jpg

The designer shows the rear former being cut as shown here to allow the rear surface of the tail fin to be level with the rear of the fuselage as shown in red (photo edited, not marked on the model!). If pushed in without doing anything it needs to be moved forwards by the thickness of the former (3mm).

dscn2808low.jpg

I think its a better idea to leave the rear former intact and to cut a piece out of the fin - like this.

It might just cause a problem when it comes to placing the bottom hinge. We'll have to see later when I fit the rudder horn and steerable tail wheel assembly which will all fight for the same space.

dscn2814low.jpg

Edited By Gary Manuel on 13/04/2014 09:05:31