Traplet Farmhand 90

I have used Modelmarkings.com , he is good. I've also used sticky car number plate numbers and letters. I've had some on for years and they show no sign of peeling off it is VERY strong glue....you've only one chance really with them.

You could also try model car stickers! Oh and Pyramid Models.

Look

Edited By cymaz on 21/04/2014 06:55:25

Advert

Dusty needs some way of controlling him, so here goes......

Nice short Pete Tindal blue series controls all round - even matches Dusty's trim colour smiley
Note the steerable tail wheel assembly now fitted.dscn2845low.jpg

JR591 servos used for the two elevator halves.

dscn2846low.jpg

Pete Tindal blue series pull-pull for the rudder.

dscn2848low.jpg

Cables look as if they are bending and rubbing on the fuselage side as they enter, but it's an optical illusion due to the tapered fuselage. Wire run is actually quite straight.

dscn2849low.jpg

Hitec HS5985MG servo inside the cockpit, used for the rudder.

dscn2850low.jpg

Edited By Gary Manuel on 22/04/2014 23:45:30

Wing servos next, but first I need to extend the servo leads for the ailerons. The Flap leads reach the exit holes OK, so won't need extending.

Extension leads soldered together to make up the required length and insulated with tape.

dscn2856low.jpg

And then tidied up / vibration proofed with heat shrink tubing.

dscn2858low.jpg

Hobbyking servo lead crimps. The crimps come on strips with the plastic surrounds separate:
Note that there are two types of crimp / surround in the set.

The female plug - as used on the end of the servo leads - These are the ones I'll be using:

dscn2870low.jpg

And the male receptacle - as used on the receiver / receiver extension leads - I won't be using these here.

dscn2859low.jpg

These is the crimping tool I'll be using.

dscn2860low.jpg

This is what the dies look like

dscn2864low.jpg

And this is how the crimps need to be inserted before sliding the stripped wire in and squeezing.
Not obvious to look at. The open end of the crimp goes into the concave die with the wire entering from the marked side.

dscn2866low.jpg

Wires crimped

dscn2871low.jpg

First one clicked into place and second one ready to be pushed in - note which way round they go, and which colours go where.

dscn2873low.jpg

Wing servos first fitted and roughly set up prior to radio fitment.

All four servos are Hitec HS5925MG and fittings are Pete Tindal blue series.

dscn2880low.jpg

Ailerons with servo in approximately the centre position - servo arm at 90 degrees and aileron in the neutral position.

dscn2879low.jpg

Flap servo with servo in approximately in the centre position.

For the benefit of anyone who doesn't know, flaps are set up differently to ailerons (and other) controls. The servo arm is fitted to the servo whilst in the centre position with the arm offset as shown and the flap partly operated. This is for two reasons:

1. The movement of the servo is from the neutral position downwards only, so this position is in the centre of its movement.

2. The servos holding strength is weakest when at 90 degrees to the push-rod and strongest when at a smaller angle. i.e. it would be impossible to turn the servo by pulling or pushing the rod with the servo arm in line with the rod (zero degrees) because there would be no turning moment. The flaps will have the maximum force (air flow) when at maximum deflection - this is when the small angle is used to effectively "lock" the servo in position. The 90 degree servo angle when the flap is in the neutral position is not an issue as the air force is low (similar to other control surfaces).

dscn2878low.jpg

Flap fully operated - servo at a narrow angle and flap fully deployed.

dscn2881low.jpg

Flap in the neutral position - servo in the 90 degree position (with the servo towards the end of it's movement).

dscn2879low.jpg

Servo lead cables exitting the wing. The short ones are the flaps. The trailing leads in the fuselage will have the flaps with the longest lead and the aileronns shorter, which will prevent incorrect connection as the aileron trailing leads won't reach the flap leads.

dscn2876low.jpg

Rubber grommets used at the exit. Prevents vibration damage, covering peeling away and also prevents the leads from sliding back inside the wing during transportation.

dscn2877low.jpg

• Like 1

Forgot to extend the rear mounted elevator servo leads. Done in the same way as the others.

To avoid them flopping about in the fuselage, I like to make a lightweight paper tube to run them in. Just formed around a 12mm balsa dowel and cyano's along the length once dowel removed, to make a fairly strong tube.

dscn2882low.jpg

Tube runs the full length of the fuselage and exits in the cabin. Seen here with servo leads already run down the tube.

dscn2883low.jpg

Undercarriage and wheels fitted.

dscn2884low.jpg

Spent a bit of time using my favourite free image editing software - "Paint.NET" to prepare a few images for making into stickers.

The chequerboard represents transparent background.

7 image.jpg

d7 image.jpg

dusty image.jpg

This last one saved me a bit of work - This was found on the web. Logo of the Jolly Wrenches club, apparently (whatever that is) - No copyright infringement intended if there is any. Full credit to the original designer.

jolly wrenches.jpg

Edited By Gary Manuel on 23/04/2014 22:04:43

Prop will be something like a 23x8. With the undercarriage I have fitted, i don't think ground clearance will be a problem and touch n goes should be a breeze yes

Wheels are perfect for the job and were a gift from a friend of mine who used to fly IC but appears to have gone electric - he says it's the future wink 2

Edited By Gary Manuel on 23/04/2014 23:30:09

Stickers ordered.

Time to start thinking about C of G and equipment positioning.
I don't like adding lead, so I like to position equipment so that moving of batteries allows the full range of C o G to be achieved.

Target C of G is 100mm to 107mm from the leading edge by my calculations, with a possibility of moving it back further depending on flight performance.

With engine, exhaust, prop, spinner installed and the ignition unit, leads and ignition battery taped to the outside of the firewall I can achieve 100mm with the receiver batteries (yes 2 = true redundant dual battery system) just behind the firewall at the front of the engine / tank box and 107mm just by moving the receiver batteries to the rear of the enginge / tank box. Plenty of scope to move it even further just by moving the batteries.

I'm confident that there will be no need for carrying lead. Proper fit planned for tomorrow.

Started to fit the gear, starting with the pointy end after 3 coats of fuel proofer.

The engine suddenly looks smaller I think. DLE55RA, Menz 23x8, 3 1/2 inch aluminium spinner.

dscn2892low.jpg

Ignition unit on heavy duty velcro with velcro straps.

dscn2893low.jpg

2 cell 2000mAh LiFe battery held in place using velcro plus velcro straps.

dscn2894low.jpg

Front view - No need for extra cooling ducts.

dscn2895low.jpg

Cowl clearance as planned - about 3mm, with plenty of clearance all round in case I need to shift the thrust lines.

dscn2896low.jpg

I have a 9 channel radio set, which I'll be using to the max:
I will allocate the channels like this to allow trims with flaps applied to be mixed in to give neutral feel.

1 = Throttle
2 = Right Aileron
3 = Right Elevator
4 = Rudder
5 = Flaps
6 = Left Aileron
7 = Left Elevator
8 = Choke (might change to tow release later)
9 = Engine kill switch

Channel 5 will need a Y-lead.
Here's one I prepared earlier smiley

dscn2897low.jpg

I can't get tie wrap at 90 degrees but might replace velcro ones with tie wrap depending on what it looks like on when running.

I actually have a HK prop balance (and wattmeter) on order. I think I got the last one before they went onto backorder. I will loan it out at very reasonable rates wink 2