Maddog Designs Hammerhead 620

Tony F

Advert

Ok onwards and upwards.

Fitting of the top fuselage spine...already made to assist in the build , polystyrene filled.

ham30.jpg

ham31.jpg

ham32.jpg

The front section is detachable with pegs on the front and magnets on the rear.

ham33.jpg

The magnets will fit into the rear open section towards the rear of the opening.

ham35.jpg

Tony

Edited By Tony F on 15/05/2014 21:58:02

Lol Cy...if I was any good it would have been finished 2 weeks ago

OK some more now...

Won't teach people how to suck eggs....servo hatch...not brilliant but one of my first.

ham37.jpg

Hole cut from the outer wing into the servo hatch using a piece of copper tube , sharpened.

ham38.jpg

Servo fitted.

ham39.jpg

And hatch made.

ham40.jpg

More in a bit.

Tony

Hi Tony, I hope you are enjoying the build young man.

I’m watching the motor installation with interest sir.

You have probably thought of this already, however can I make a one suggestion, in photo two of the engine installation it shows that you have had to cut away the tag on the tank box to fit the motor mount, this is quite a critical joint as it basically holds your motor to the airframe so it might be a good idea to epoxy two ¼ sq hardwood blocks ether side of the motor mount just to add a little strengthen back into the joint, I know there are three other tags holding the firewall to the tank box but you cant be to carful. I hope you don’t mind the suggestion, keep up the good work.

Richie

Hi mate. Yes it's a true joy to build. I haven't glued in the sliding motor mount box yet and already have 4 blocks to glue against the box and supporting formers to make it super strong hurry and get the 152 done as that is gonna be outstanding !!!

All the best

Tony

Edited By Tony F on 17/05/2014 13:08:38

I thought you might have already thought of it mate but I just thought id mention it just in case you had missed it. I’m just waiting for the laser cutting to arrive for the Cessna so that I can crack on with the fuselage and the cutting jigs for the decking’s, the cowl plug only needs two coats of paint then I can start to make a mould but I wont be doing that till Monday.

Richie

Ok on with the Engine mount...as per what Richie recommended about strengthening the engine mount bulkhead where I cut....this was always in the plan.

ham53.jpg

ham54.jpg

And the magnets holding down the hatch.

ham51.jpg

And adding the cowl blocks on the bulkhead.

ham45.jpg

ham46.jpg

Servo's and snake's fitted.

ham49.jpg

This will be where the ESC is housed.....good ventilation from the cut engine bulkhead will give good airflow for cooling.

ham50.jpg

Not too much to do now....just fitting of the sliding engine mount and covering......wink

Tony

• 4 weeks later...

Ok here is my final bits and bobs done to my Hammerhead....wink

Opening up airflow to cool the 100a ESC.

final ham 1.jpg

final ham 2.jpg

The shaded area needs trimming away.

final ham 3.jpg

This should be enough cooling airflow for the ESC and Lipo...decided on 5s 4000mah smiley

Tony

OK folks now please bare in mind this is only my second kit.....and my very first ever attempt at using Oracover blush

This is what I ended up with =

final ham 4.jpg

final ham 5.jpg

final ham 6.jpg

final ham 7.jpg

final ham 8.jpg

final ham 9.jpg

final ham 10.jpg

final ham 11.jpg

final ham 12.jpg

Named after my new daughter wink

final ham 13.jpg

final ham 14.jpg

final ham 15.jpg

final ham 16.jpg

final ham 17.jpg

I have thoroughly enjoyed this build...It's totally recommended for a noob like me...Now It's not perfect but I'm confident it will fly......and built by my own hand I'm sure it will be totally rewarding and feel different from building an out of the box ARTF or Foamie. I would recommend MaddogDesigns for someone looking to venture into their first traditional ish build.......It's been a learning curve for me and I'm pleased to report that it wasn't too steep !!! I have an Airsail Chipmunk waiting to be built and doing this has given me some confidence to attempt it and hopefully make it scale with loads of detail.

I'd like to thank Richie for his encouragement and also for designing a great kit...Thank you. wink

I will add more to this thread as I tweak "Maisie" for her first flight and will post a flight log and hopefully some video.

All the best fellow builders.....( I can say that now )

Tony

Wow - well done Tony!

You have made an excellent job there, it really looks good and as if it just can't wait to fly. You are a good advert for the kit and Oracover with a well executed and striking colour scheme - I think I want one now!

Martin

Andrew...........OH..............MY...............GOODNESS (polite word)

You know something.......I've mucked up !!!!!!!!!!!!

The reason for putting them on the top surface ?

Stupidity........noob.............oops.......blush

Tony

oooh that's bright, hold on s second whilst I put on my sun glasses smile d ahh that's better. excellent job young man yes it has been an absolute pleasure following you through your build and as Martin says, you are indeed 'a good advert for the kit' and don't worry about the servos being top surface mounted as it will make no difference to the models performance.

I am currently in the process of adding to my website a gallery where modellers can show off their finished models so if you can e-mail me a couple of photos, you can be the first Hammerhead builder to be added to the gallery smile p

for only your second build, you have done yourself proud, I'm looking forward to you fight report,

take care mate

Richie