John's Dawn Flyer...(more likely to be noon flyer)

Advert

Posted by john stones 1 on 13/06/2014 21:50:14:

It will Phil thanks, let you fly it Sundaywink

John

I assume your talking about Sunday the 22nd John to be fair I'm very cautious about flying another's model especially one so new and nice yes thanks for the offer though, if it was serious question

Posted by john stones 1 on 13/06/2014 23:38:08:

Only just spotted it, C.G. seems to be well forward on the plan 48 mm from leading edge

Did you lads find this o.k. or did you feel it was nose heavy?

John

I went with the CofG as indicated on the plan. I also had to add 6oz of church roof. Fly`s fine with it there.

Kev

Mine has the CoG on the nominated spot and feels fine - it could probably go back just a little, but its certainly not unduly nose heavy where it is. I didn't need any lead - though I have crammed everything (battery, speed controller, current sensor, ESC) as far forward as I possibly could and have a domed nut on the prop and a heavish wooden prop compared to say a lighter APCe.

BEB

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 14/06/2014 14:12:49

Got up nice and early, do some final checks before I go field wink can't get bullets to fit motor on esc, 1/2 hour later I realise I put male ends in for safe keeping when I soldered females onembarrassed It's not good this getting old lark.

So I plug it all in to set throttle range on esc....can't get out of programme mode ??? read instructions try 3 times ..nope still can't do it.

Leave it and have cuppa.... this happened with Pushycat, what did I do ?

Simple....plug esc into throttle port on rx NOT the battery one crying

John p.s. its raining

Posted by Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 14/06/2014 14:12:16:

....... and a heavish wooden prop compared to say a lighter APCe.

BEB

Not sure which make of prop you have there Dave but the ones I have for the BS (from 4max) are lighter by a few grams than their equivalent APC(e) ones, as I understand its this and the lower flexibility that makes them more efficient, certainly the BS flies at 78w/lb on a wooden prop much the same as she does at 92w/lb on an identical size "APC(e)" one and the battery lasts longer big + all round I'd say My guess is the revs are up too though not had chance to check that.

yes

dt test fly 001.jpgdt test fly 003.jpgdt test fly 004.jpgdt test fly 005.jpgWent this morning, grey sky, took a bit of seeing with silver wingsnerd

So how's it fly ? very good...a few clicks of left in (bit too much side thrust).

Rolls nice, stall turns are good, loops from level flight, spins easy and recovers on releasing sticks.

Takes off in no time, even with home made wheels and it's very agile.

Nobody there with a camera so this is best I've gotsad

John

dt test fly 006.jpg

Ouch, still at least it made it into the air more than can be said for one club member today who using a pair of 3s lipos in series accidently substituted one for an identical looking 4s one the reaction took approx 5 mins and was fatal for the unmaidened super chippie

oh I think he learnt ok, as did we all, I was stood 4' from it when it happened, it sounded like a roman candle going of and the smoke was, as one would expect, very intense my guess is he will rebuild it, though it may take a while to say the least. One very expensive mistake, 2 batteries, Rx, ESC and motor, plus the entire forward sect of the fuse to rebuild, and a new canopy and cowl. £££'s and to cap it all the photo's are in the club hall of shame album on face book blush still we now know who to ask to light the next club BBQ. wink

John,

Sorry to see your pride and joy looking like that.

Get busy - I'm sure you have the technology to rebuild by next week.

Phil,

I'm guessing he was running 2 batteries in Parallel, not Series, and it was the potential difference / circulating current that caused the problem.