Sea Fury FB11 Build

Glyn R

I am back in the garage now. Family is OK so here we go.

Unfortunately my MGA needs a new water pump. So this will take priority for the moment.

I have bought another copy of the Sea fury plan from Jerry Bates. I will take a little while to decide whether to change course.

• 5 weeks later...
Advert

Another temporary distraction I have been looking at repairing my CMP Extra 300s. I thought I would easily be able to fix it. However the invisible damage was worse than I thought so I will now make a new one before I return seriously to the Sea fury. I may make another thread for this diversion.

CMP Extra 300s

This is a before picture with a RCGF 15cc engine.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

A bit more progress on the wing centre section. The top skin is on I now need to work out how to fit the retracts and flap. I am using electric retracts as planned for the first models. This plan has a one piece wing so I think I will build it before I go onto the fuse. It is not too difficult to store a large wing out of the way.

20170131_142828.jpg

20170131_142839.jpg

20170131_151022.jpg

The retracts are not true scale but the price of custom legs put me off. I think they are of the period and will look fine.

Edited By Glyn R on 31/01/2017 16:05:23

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I have decided to use a piece of 3/4 ply cut to the best shape to contact as many formers as possible. I have had to grind away a good bit of the rib to allow the wheel to fit properly in its recess I will fit a 1/16 ply doubler to reinforce this area.

The project is now on hold till next winter.

Edited By Glyn R on 02/04/2017 15:53:17

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

I just realized it's 3 years since I started this project. Even allowing for a false start this is a record for me.

Whilst sorting out the stuff for this winters campaign I found an RCGF 15cc petrol engine that I have had for a few years. It seems a shame to leave it in a box so I bought a Wot4 XL ARTF to fit it. I just need to put that together before I start on the Sea Fury again.

• 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Hi Glyn I am looking to build the Sea Fury 77" from the same plan as you started with, RCME MAY1994. I notice that it shows a negative angle of attack on the tail pane which seems odd? May I ask if you changed to the 81" w/s JB plan for the availability of cowl and canopy or was there a problem with the 77" plan. BTW I've had my copy enlarged 5% to 81" w/s to get my dle 40 twin in the cowl and might try and obtain the JB canopy.

Posted by Richard Rogers 2 on 10/08/2018 00:39:03:

Hi Glyn I am looking to build the Sea Fury 77" from the same plan as you started with, RCME MAY1994. I notice that it shows a negative angle of attack on the tail pane which seems odd? May I ask if you changed to the 81" w/s JB plan for the availability of cowl and canopy or was there a problem with the 77" plan. BTW I've had my copy enlarged 5% to 81" w/s to get my dle 40 twin in the cowl and might try and obtain the JB canopy.

Hi Richard,

A negative angle of incidence on a tailplane is perfectly normal. Pretty well all aircraft have the centre of lift behind the CoG, this means that the wing produces a nose-down moment. The negative incidence of the tailplane is designed to counteract that, Basically its providing "down force" to push tail down and hence balance the aircraft.

BEB