Sea Fury FB11 Build

Glyn R

Posted by Jon Harper on 04/06/2014 21:00:24:

Are you sure you don't want a laser 300v? it powers my 80'' La7 really nicely!!

**LINK**

Fuel is cheap (not as cheap at petrol granted) at only £15 a gallon as only 5% nitro is needed, also due to the efficiency of the combustion I only ever have to wipe the model once at the end of the day as its not that oily. Also, if you look after it then it will last 40 years!

I like the lack of fuss with petrol engines. Ignition is always on board, fuel is much less gummy than nitro. My smaller petrol engines are great, pumped carbs always start easily. Fuel half the price of nitro, I use 5% in all my glow models.

With modern electronic ignitions many of the problems have been removed. I like Laser engines but I don't think I will ever buy one now. wink

By the way I will be dead in 40 years.sad

Advert

Its funny as I look at petrol as more fuss than glow. you need another battery, another switch, you need to find somewhere for the ignition (not a problem in a model this size granted), then you need to mix up the fuel, you need to take a fire extinguisher to the field (I know no one does but they ought) and as for the carbs...well, they are so easy to block with any debris, the diaphragms degrade over a time and they are far more critical than a glow engine. long story short, there is just so much more to go wrong. Every model at my club power by a petrol engine is much less reliable than any of my glows. Its been over 5 years since my last dead stick.

There is no doubt petrol is cleaner running, but I will gladly give my model 20 seconds worth of wiping down if I don't have to put up with the stink of petrol everywhere I go.

As for cost of the fuel, I get through 200 quid in glow fuel per year in my models but my car gets through 70 quids worth of petrol every 10 days. To me, its insignificant compared to other costs in life

The real thing for me is the twostroke issue, I stopped using them years ago and all the petrol 4 strokes are either very cheap and Chinese, or insanely expensive

But, I look forward to seeing your model. I am just finishing a YT Seafury myself and will be fitting the engine shortly..i hope, there are many other things on the go!

Edited By Jon Harper on 05/06/2014 08:25:04

If there was a 4 stroke petrol available that was not crazy money and would run reliably on that non stinky aspen fuel then for sure I would be up for it, but sadly, no such beast exists

As for the fury, how heavy are you expecting? I have heard reports of the YT up at 25lbs

Posted by Jon Harper on 06/06/2014 10:09:37:

If there was a 4 stroke petrol available that was not crazy money and would run reliably on that non stinky aspen fuel then for sure I would be up for it, but sadly, no such beast exists

As for the fury, how heavy are you expecting? I have heard reports of the YT up at 25lbs

Some one told me Laser Engines have been testing the engines running them on petrol. If I have the correct understading the current range of Laser engines (at least most of them) are mechanically suitable for petrol. The power output is said to be similar to glow but the transition is inferior due to lack of suitable carburettors. Even the walbro type carburettors are said to be not up to the task.

So let's hope Laser engines continue the testing to find or develop a suitable carburettor for petrol. I personally like the idea of odourless Aspen fuel, easy to get + economical. The pump feature of the petrol carburettor is nice too. It makes installation of the tanks very straightforward without need to think about tank height or distance, etc. The spark ignition, while being more complex vs. glow plug, has the advantage of maintaining the ignition timing always the same regardless athmospherical changes. So all these matters taken in consideration I would be very happy to invest in a Laser petrol engine while being happy with their marvellous glow engines, too.

p.s. Glyn R, I take the liberty to mention that the twin carb is not complicated to operate. Even I who is not an expert by any means can do it properly, thanks to the great service / instructions of Laser engines.

-Artto

Posted by Artto Ilmanen on 11/06/2014 07:20:37:
Posted by Jon Harper on 06/06/2014 10:09:37:

Some one told me Laser Engines have been testing the engines running them on petrol. If I have the correct understading the current range of Laser engines (at least most of them) are mechanically suitable for petrol. The power output is said to be similar to glow but the transition is inferior due to lack of suitable carburettors. Even the walbro type carburettors are said to be not up to the task.

So let's hope Laser engines continue the testing to find or develop a suitable carburettor for petrol. I personally like the idea of odourless Aspen fuel, easy to get + economical. The pump feature of the petrol carburettor is nice too. It makes installation of the tanks very straightforward without need to think about tank height or distance, etc. The spark ignition, while being more complex vs. glow plug, has the advantage of maintaining the ignition timing always the same regardless athmospherical changes. So all these matters taken in consideration I would be very happy to invest in a Laser petrol engine while being happy with their marvellous glow engines, too.

p.s. Glyn R, I take the liberty to mention that the twin carb is not complicated to operate. Even I who is not an expert by any means can do it properly, thanks to the great service / instructions of Laser engines.

-Artto

one more thing: with the rise of EFI (see Evolution 62GXi EFI) I would be very happy to see EFI petrol versions of Laser engines..

Posted by Artto Ilmanen on 11/06/2014 15:16:04:

You are right, sorry. Please admin can you move my posts on Laser engine to the correct sub forum?

I think it would be easier if you were to start a fresh discussion thread in the IC Engines, Artto - it would be difficult to move these posts and retain the context.

Meanwhile, back to the Sea Fury.....

Pete

I have now received the engine. It is the original choice of XYZ 53 STS. I have fitted it to the firewall before any glueing to make sure where everything goes.

20140615_164310.jpg

Luckily the ignition set will go in the top of the inner fuse set back from the engine.

20140615_164908.jpg

The box will have a ply inset in the balsa top to carry the Electronics. It all seems neat to me. I could fit it inside the cowl but It would be very cramped above the engine.

20140615_164450.jpg

The only holes in the cowl will be for the exhausts at the bottom.

20140615_164321.jpg

I am really pleased with the quality and finish of the engine. The crankcase is a lovely CNC job with a great finish. I have tested the ignition and it seems OK good spark at the right time. I plan to test run it later on a stand. The finish on the silencers seems very good much better than some of the old photos of this engine.

• 3 weeks later...

I have now fitted the Ignition inside the fuse, I created a space above the tank. I also decided that the route from the Rx to the throttle made a linkage complicated so I put the servo on the firewall which gave a nice short straight link to the throttle lever. I think the choke will be manual so I am leaving this for a while.20140706_205413.jpg

I test ran the engine today, my electric starter would not turn the motor so I decided to hand start. After a few flicks with the choke on it fired. Turning off the choke one flick and it was running. I then discovered that my home made test stand was not good enough so I just ran it at low revs apart from one burst up to 6000 rpm. I will make a new test stand.

Edited By Glyn R on 06/07/2014 23:06:41

• 3 weeks later...

XYZ 53 first proper run. Note the foot on the Workmate to stop it taking off. Ran steadily at 6450rpm with Turnigy 20x8. I used the same throttle linkage I used on the fuse seems to work OK. Easy start and plenty of power. Very little vibration, the advantage of these flat twins.

Edited By Glyn R on 26/07/2014 12:13:32

Edited By Glyn R on 26/07/2014 12:16:08

Edited By Glyn R on 26/07/2014 12:17:36

Edited By Glyn R on 26/07/2014 12:18:45

• 4 weeks later...

I am now laboriously transferring the tailplane ribs onto balsa. The horizontal stab is made in an upper and lower half then glued together. I have to make 4 copies of each half rib to arrive at the final quota. Iam beginning to see the virtues of laser cutting.

I have spent hours so far working out the best way of retracting the tailwheel. I will have some pics as soon as the parts arrive.

• 4 weeks later...

The stabiliser is now under construction I may have to make a few mods as I go along.

20140825_205923.jpg

I have to make 2 of these and glue them back to back. I worry about the hinge mountings so I will beef these up a bit.

20140826_173312.jpg

I plan to use a nosewheel retract in reverse for the tailwheel, with a door actuator and a sequencer. This simplifies the mechanical linkages used on the full size.

Edited By Glyn R on 20/09/2014 19:09:49

Edited By Glyn R on 20/09/2014 19:11:05

I went to the Fleet Air Arm Museum the other day to have a look at the Sea Fury SB11 they have on display.

20140908_105028~4.jpg

The pic is not good quality because of side light from a doorway.

20140908_101827.jpg

The sprung retract tailwheel and doors seem simple enough. I shall modify a standard sprung nosewheel to give a standoff scale look.

On my YT fury I have not bothered with the tail wheel doors as it was a pain to get them to work so I gave up and just cut out a hole big enough for the wheel to get through but not so large that it was unsightly. I did however go the whole hog on the inner and outer gear doors using one of the sequencing units from hobby king. I am happy with the result even though its not perfect. Right now though im desperately trying to get back to the model so I can finish it as other things (repairs mosty) have got in the way!

Posted by Jon Harper on 22/09/2014 10:43:29:

On my YT fury I have not bothered with the tail wheel doors as it was a pain to get them to work so I gave up and just cut out a hole big enough for the wheel to get through but not so large that it was unsightly. I did however go the whole hog on the inner and outer gear doors using one of the sequencing units from hobby king. I am happy with the result even though its not perfect. Right now though im desperately trying to get back to the model so I can finish it as other things (repairs mosty) have got in the way!

I am determined to get mine to work. Its scratch build from a plan so I have more flexibility.

• 2 weeks later...

I have been working on the stabilizer. I discovered that the fin and tailplane need to be fitted before the rear fuse can be finalized. The tail feathers are built in two half sections flat on the plan and then sandwiched together.

20140916_200118.jpg

20140916_200054.jpg

I have never done this before but it allows symmetrical airfoils to be built with jigging or tabs on the bottom.

• 2 weeks later...

The elevator was a bit tricky to put together, lots of small pieces, I discovered that making the rib outline and then fitting the skin gave the best result. I then fitted the small ply reinforcements for the hinges and the filler pieces for the tips. 20141015_145037.jpg

Posted by Glyn R on 07/10/2014 14:33:23:

I have been working on the stabilizer. I discovered that the fin and tailplane need to be fitted before the rear fuse can be finalized. The tail feathers are built in two half sections flat on the plan and then sandwiched together.

20140916_200118.jpg

20140916_200054.jpg

I have never done this before but it allows symmetrical airfoils to be built with jigging or tabs on the bottom.

There is a typo here I just noticed. It should read" built without jigging or tabs on the bottom".

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...