Sea Fury FB11 Build

Glyn R

It begins! I have decided to build from a plan. The plan is the 77" Sea Fury in the myhobbystore catalogue.

20140424_215501.jpg

The first thing I notice is I will need a bigger bench. This is going to be a long job.

The plan is to fit a twin cylinder petrol engine of 30-50cc, I am not sure which yet, the advised engine is a 25cc 2 stroke glow. Still that decision can wait.

Edited By Glyn R on 24/04/2014 23:43:32

Advert

After looking into the plans it appears that a 50cc twin will fit the best. Question is which one? Anything up to 60cc will go in. I think a warbird can't have too much power.

Its now raining heavily which means spray painting is out so my Acrowot will have to wait for a final coat.

Edited By Glyn R on 25/04/2014 19:39:00

I should really have been more honest about the Triumph Trident it actually belongs to my son, it's in the family though.

I had until recently a1970 MGB roadster and a 1974 MG midget. Which were sold to finance a SAAB 93 convertible. My biking days are long gone, living in North Yorkshire I see to many born again bikers who end up as a statistic.

Back to the Sea Fury now though.

• 2 weeks later...

The central box of the fuse. Everything fixes to it. The engine only needs 10mm spacer so I used some ply. I had a drilling template which I fixed in place. Not exciting but progress. The bad weather has forced me into the garage.

20140509_224215.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Small development on the Sea Fury front. I have bought an ancient copy of RCME from May 1994 which has the original article about the model when the plan was first published. I hope it is a help it cost me £4.99.

$_12.jpg

The large(650ml) fuel tank and fittings has arrived so I can now figure out the placement of the tank and the Ignition.

I will have buy the engine soon to be sure about throttle controls before I close the fuselage.

I am thinking about building a 1/72 or 1/48 plastic model as a guide to external detail. I have loads of photos but a reference models will be useful in a year or so.

Edited By Glyn R on 27/05/2014 19:33:47

I cannot run to a Laser 300V. The twin carb layout worries me anyway. I will be using an XYZ 53 STS Twin. Not a name on everybodys lips but looks good to me and will fit inside the cowl with only exhaust out of the bottom. I may work on the exhaust to siamese the outlets into another box. The video shows the simple mounting of this engines in a radial cowl,the price is about 1/3 of an equivalent laser. Petrol is a lot cleaner not to mention cheaper.

Edited By Glyn R on 28/05/2014 10:05:53

It was interesting to read the copy of RCME May 1994. First the price was £1.70. The article by Geoff Lord on his Sea Fury design was quite helpful in many ways, It shows how much things have changed in 20 years. I will be using electric retracts all round, now readily available and not expensive. Not much liteply in the design but I will use where appropriate.

A good choice of motor Glyn, a good mate has one that has been in a Fw19D9 and now a 90" 32lb Zero and it pulls that around great, sounds good and seems to be reliable. I think the only issue he has had is loose fitting gl caps, which once nipped up have been great. Will it fit completely in the cowling then?

Ian.

Are you sure you don't want a laser 300v? it powers my 80'' La7 really nicely!!

**LINK**

Fuel is cheap (not as cheap at petrol granted) at only £15 a gallon as only 5% nitro is needed, also due to the efficiency of the combustion I only ever have to wipe the model once at the end of the day as its not that oily. Also, if you look after it then it will last 40 years!

Posted by reg shaw on 04/06/2014 20:37:39:

A good choice of motor Glyn, a good mate has one that has been in a Fw19D9 and now a 90" 32lb Zero and it pulls that around great, sounds good and seems to be reliable. I think the only issue he has had is loose fitting gl caps, which once nipped up have been great. Will it fit completely in the cowling then?

Ian.

If my measurements are correct it will. It is of course only as tall as a 26cc. Because the sea fury cowl is circular the carb and exhausts should fit in. The cowl is 240mm and the engine is 205mm to the plug tops. Tight but should be OK. I may have to fiddle with the exhaust pipes a bit.