Jet A1

Cookson

Er, Jet A1 is just a refined version of road diesel fuel. In emergency we could use diesel fuel in my military helicopter. If you are mixing fuel for a model aircraft diesel it may not be the right stuff. I havn't owned a diesel since 1969 but then we used a mixture of ether, castor oil and amyl nitrate (small quantities). The trouble is that at the point of delivery, jet A1 has little tax on it in the same way as red diesel fuel so to use it for a different activity can attract the attentions of the excise man!!

IIRC (and it's a long time ago) there was quite a lot of paraffin involved in Diesel mix - and Esso Blue or similar is more or less what gas turbines run on. A few years ago, Ali M told me that he usually bought his "jet fuel" from hardware shops and used it in preference as Jet A1 smelt more strongly.

Sorry Cookson. Post crossed.

P.S. I can't see why you can't buy it - it is going into an aircraft!

Edited By Martin Harris on 01/05/2014 10:25:54

It isn't clear from the OP where this fuel might be used, but the following might help.

The point about not being able to re-sell unless it is destined for an aircraft is correct, it is all related to the tax and duty system applied to the fuel by HMRC.

Jet A1 is produced as an aviation fuel and any documentation related to it's sale will clearly state that it is only to be supplied for use in aircraft. Bought legitimately for aircraft use Jet A1 would cost around 80-90p per litre for a fuel which is essentially very similar to diesel.

If any Jet A1 finds its way into a road going vehicle that becomes an HMRC issue because it isn't subject to the tax and duty systems applicable to road fuels, i.e. HMRC will see it as loosing revenue.

I'm mixing competition diesel fuel for high performance diesel engines used in vintage control line combat.

Currently using Bartoline paraffin from Homebase & wanted to try Jet A1 to see if there was any performance benefits.

Posted by Tomtom39 on 01/05/2014 10:49:44:

I got some quite a few years ago via a airfield fuel supply co in Aton, Hants . Details of the co are as follows:- http://www.aircraftfuel.co.uk/index.html

Thanks for the contact, I have sent them an email.

I'll let you know what response I get.

• 4 weeks later...

I can buy paraffin in sensible quantities, i.e multi-gallons from our local heating oil/agricultural fuels distributor. It is used in large quantities for heating some commercial greenhouses I understand, Although I cannot think of many of them around here.

Plummet

Plummet, you are spot on and for that reason there is no reason to have to find a supply Jet A1. Over the years I have been involved in the supply of millions, possible billions of litres of Jet A1 for aircraft use ... but it has all been supplied for aircraft use ... step away from this and there can be be all manner of problems

One of the characteristics of Jet A1 is that it has a freeze point of -47 degrees C ... thats probably not an issue for model jet fliers ... although it is for a B777 flying a trans polar route ... from west to east.

Paraffin is fine ... 

Edited By avtur on 30/05/2014 14:54:12

Whether or not Jet A1 is required over alternatives, don't the CAA define our models as small aircraft? Is there any distinction in law to bar the supply of fuel for our aircraft? The tax issue must be a red herring as you can obtain heating oil, red diesel and paraffin without paying additional tax for use on the road - stiff penalties are imposed if you are caught doing so, though. A friend with a narrow boat has to declare what proportion of his red diesel is used for cruising (taxable) and how much for heating (non-taxable). I suspect he feels the cold badly and has to have the heating turned on regularly...

wink

Edited By Martin Harris on 30/05/2014 17:20:18