Barnstormer in Depron.

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgPictures show the mounting platform with lightening fretwork attached to the cabane and using the square garden slabs to ensure that the wing is lined up! The 3 degrees right side thrust on the motor makes it looks a bit wonky.image.jpg

Here is my first proper look at the 17gm glass cloth and Ezekote. I've started to paint it on but didn't realise how long it takes to dry, so progress is a bit limited tonight.

All of the bits are made, I'm into the finishing stages now so increasingly optimistic about completing it with time to spare. Who can spot the bits of Barnstormer distributed among the other paraphenalia, drying out the first coat of Ezekote before I can stick the glass-cloth on? Sorry about the mess, sadly it's always like that. I daren't show you what's lying around in the garage loft, let alone the garden shed!

Thank you BEB. I certainly hope so. A lot of the forumites will wonder why it's taken me so long to find out things they learned years ago, so I hope they'll excuse my simplistic approach. Even so, this has taught me a lot and it looks as if the finished plane won't have any down-side to a conventional build, in fact as a robust weekend flyer it is probably going to be better and the light weight is a bonus.

I did this on impulse because I originally fancied doing a Barnstormer or Bi-Stormer, but chose the PC because of limited time. Therefore I decided to do this as a last minute attempt to do a bit more for Greenacres. It's actually gone together faster than the PC and looks like a four week part-time build, so definitely it's given me things to think about.

I hope it's been of interest to a few others as well.

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgInto the slow and messy stage, (for me) of covering and painting. Reading Danny's article I realised that he'd demonstrated epoxy because of the issue of the water based products causing warping with wood structures. As I'm covering foam I'm not worrying about that, so I've used Ezekote with 17gm glass cloth. I'm not very dextrous at this sort of thing, but the pictures show me puzzling my way through. I'm working today and have to attend a dinner tonight, so the only way I could do anything was to get in the shed at 05-00. I am a light sleeper anyway and this morning it was beautiful, a proper early summer morning. A brief pleasure to savour. I've sanded down the fuselage and put on the first coat of Ezekote, covered and finished the fin with the first coat of paint and part covered the wing and tailplane. The many who are more expert than I will hopefully be having a good laugh, those who are more in my half competent category will perhaps be more sympathetic! However, we will definitely finish this on time.

image.jpg

Edited By Colin Leighfield on 05/06/2014 07:10:27

Here's the fuselage after covering with glass cloth, before applying another coat of Ezekote and sanding down for painting. tailplane is finished, next I will cut the elevator and paint it. Wing is covered underneath, next I will cover the top and prepare that for painting. I need to re-make the fin, somehow I've cut it too short, but it won't take long.

I'm going to solder a wire diagonal into each half of the cabane, that will stiffen it up and will look scale-like anyway.Then I will fit the magnets to the two removable hatches and paint it.image.jpg

Kidding apart Andrew, there's a whole list of things I've been wanting to do for years and I'm finally starting to get on with. Whether I get them all done is another matter, but I'm going to do my best. I've got an eight foot long block of blue foam in the loft I really need to have a bash at, the cutting bow is waiting! Still scratching my head.

I love this forum, there's so much knowledge and inspiration on here that leaves me breathless. What some of the forumites achieve is beyond my wildest dreams, beyond anything I'll ever manage! Still, I kicked this one off only four weeks ago with no experience of Depron at all and although a bit of a codge, I think that it's going to work. Fingers crossed!

Managed to do a bit more tonight and made the mistake of gluing the fin to the tailplane before I stuck it to the fuselage. When I'd finished up juggling to make sure that everything was square(ish), I realised that the fin wasn't quite straight! This will be down to slight misalignment of the fuselage, cabane and wing I suppose. Nothing unusual for me there then! However it looks ok so I've removed the fin and will stick it back correctly.

Diagonal bracings are soldered into the cabane, servos in and everything works. I've got to work tomorrow, but will get more done early and late. Suddenly it's starting to feel close to finishing.

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgStructurally complete now. Rx, servos, all linkages done and everything working. Remaining work is to fit magnets to engine cowling top and cockpit, put fairings on undercarriage and cabane struts, make windscreen and pilot, finish painting and put decals on, get the cg right. The colour scheme is pre-war USAAC with the big stars on the wings, the white rudder will have red horizontal stripes. When I decided that the Baby Barnstormer idea of wire hooks on the wings clipping onto the cabane struts wasn't right for this one, I decided to simply slot them into the wing platform and fix them with epoxy. I thought I would need to cap them or secure them some other way, but they're really strong as they are and there's no way they would break out without something else breaking first. I've cut a small air intake under the nose to feed cooling air directly onto the ESC, it will vent through the cockpit.image.jpg