Taranaphobia

Posted by Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 16/05/2014 22:24:30:

Regarding the successive halving thing - this is what I meant in the early posts in this thread when I said I view my Taranis in terms of "signal flow". Think of it this way:

Fingers->sticks->mixer->servos(limits)->control output

And you can see how the successive halving comes into being - if only half of the stick movement is passed to the mixer, and only half of that to the servo etc. - that's what you get.

OK - weights or limits? Well the real answer mate is "what ever you want", whatever you feel comfortable with! Its your Tx and your model - you do what ever works for you.

To be honest, I don't think this ambiguity is unique to the Taranis. It confused me when I got my first Futaba computer radio - you can effectively get the same result with multiple combinations of % EPO, % rates and % mixes. As I see it, the important thing is to be consistent, so that I can remember how I did it when coming back to tinker with it, several months down the line. I now just keep a paper record (I've compiled a excel spreadsheet) of all the settings. That brings me conveniently to my question. Is there an option to output all the settings for each model to a text file or equivalent, so I can see 'at a glance' exactly how the model is set up?

Cheers.

Advert

• 1 month later...

I handled the Tx for the first time at Weston and it was a nice unit, balanced and good controls all round.

Impressed - yes! Watching & reading/learning with interest - yes!

Considering getting rid of my Dx7 which I use for electrickery & indoor.. I think this Tx would be a super replacement and futureproof my radio gear.. for now!

Posted by john stones 1 on 14/07/2014 18:33:15:

Interested ? yes I am, so I've bought one. Not arrived yet but as I know i'll have questions, where's best place to ask them...user chat thread ?

There's two pages of Taranis threads in the Frsky section, John. Skim through the headings for one dealing with your question or start a new thread if nothing else suits...thumbs up

Pete

I have a brand new Taranis-purchased because I have never had a computer radio before and I decided that the (relatively) very low cost of the Taranis compared with other brands here in NZ makes it too good to go past.-cost delivered to my door,including battery and a D8/16 Rx NZ$230 vs NZ$2000+ for similar spec BIG brand Tx.

My local model shop owners are ,naturally,not keen on the now bewildering variety of R/C sets (Orange etc.)available via the internet,and for my part cost is a factor,but not as important a factor as reliabilty,fail-safe,and ergonomic design.I thus left buying the Taranis for a year to monitor reliablity,manufacturing faults and so on,but to date have been able to find few reliability complaints.

As a 'newbie' to computer radio,therefore,I have no pre-set expectations as to set up etc. as a Spectrum ,or Futaba user may have.Yes,using it certainly does stretch the grey matter,(at my age a good thing),and I have found that youtube carries some excellent,blow by blow articles on how to start through to advanced set-ups.

I have followed the Taranis and it's various reviews on this website and have often wondered how much of the less than favourable view points are coloured to keep the advertisers happy...

I think that the Taranis will eventually set a new paradigm in telemetry open source freeware is here to stay and I suspect that the big manufacturers may go the way of the British makers of old-Macgregor etc.

Edited By Tiger Tim on 19/07/2014 23:46:57