"drones" on Radio 2 ...

avtur

Anyone hear the last 30 minutes of Jeremy Vine today, the subject was "drones" ... that was the terminology constantly used by Mr Vine.

I think the show gets around 5 million listeners so the subject of "drones" is very much out there for the public to discuss. Not surprisingly, because it makes for good headlines, there were a number of anecdotes about "drones" being used inappropriately.

One contributor did say he had bought a camera equipped quad and had being flying around his neighbourhood not knowing that there were any limitations of use, he admitted that head probably 'broken the rules' without realising it, I suspect that will be quite a common occurrence.

Ignorance of the law is no excuse but how do folks know that they need to check the law in the first place? Joe public probably thinks he is buying 'a toy' and it probably would not occur to him that there were any regulations about use.

Edited By avtur on 13/05/2014 14:16:57

Advert

Yes Chris, but human nature being what it is that if these things were sold with warnings and instructions on limitations of use, places like Maplin's (which was mentioned in the programme) wouldn't sell many of them! My concern is that irresponsible use of these things will provide another stick to beat the wider R/C community with by the fun spoiler police. In the short term all we can do as a group is to continue to act responsibly as a club or solo flier which can be said of R/C aircraft as well as drones.

I did hear part of the program in which a woman described her visit to a graveyard, and she complained that she was buzzed by a drone which appeared to be filming her and she had no idea who was operating the drone.

Having been sent an E-mail by Mapllins yesterday,I did read up their advertisement on the camera equipped model drone they supply. It clearly states that the user should comply with statutory regulations. I would need to read the advert again and be aware of the regulations to make any judgements though.

Unless I'm reading it wrongly Maplin's appear to have their "control" and "video" frequencies the wrong way round!

• With new 5.8 GHz Remote Control and Receiver
• Featherweight 2.4 GHz Wi-Fi Camera With 720p/30 fps HD Video.

I agree that irresponsible use is likely to give us all problems in the future, However, I cannot listen to Jeremy Vine, I know that he's wants to provoke a response but he takes everything to the extreme. Just at his 'teaser' at 11.30 is more than enough for me, on the few subjects I know anything about he takes the most extreme example and paints it as the norm.

I heard it today. The 'extraordinary' storey about drones. Whilst there were the usual wrong facts in his program like 'can only fly out to 300 metres' I thought that the photographer guy acquitted himself well.

During his slot Mr Vine has the knack of saying some really dumb things but clearly he is not dumb. I think he just says them to get a reaction. The other annoying thing is that he has the habit of cutting people o

He isn't dumb at all but he does ask the questions in a manner so that everyone can see both sides of the fence, for the benefit of those who cannot work out something for themselves.

I gave up listening to Jeremy Vine, it's annoying to talk about the 'extraordinary' story of the guy who can't get a job or the 'amazing ground breaking 'story where doctors tell you to go home and sleep.

With his ridiculous overzealous and energetic descriptions and waffle he could make cutting toe nails sound like a travesty.

Just wait till you hear Vanessa Feltz, who sometimes takes over when Jeremy is away. There is no time for questions; she just doesn't shut up!

At the recent SWMEE show RCHeliguru displayed a DJI Phantom. It was flown over the crowd while the commentator explained that these where ideal if you wanted to spy on your neighbors. The display concluded with the Tx being switched off and placed on the floor to demonstrate return to home. The crowd where then encouraged to give a round of applause. Presumably for having the skill to take something out of a box and switch it on. At the same time one of the Dawn Patrol models was flying.

Now I know that the spying on the neighbors line was a joke. As is my line about getting applause for opening a box. But the obviously knowledgable commentator did not mention restrictions on use at all and did plug RCHeliguru enough.

I'm only being this grumpy because it was raining this evening and I couldn't go and fly.

• 1 year later...

Some good publicity for the FPV racing on Radio 2 last Friday.

The Simon Mayo Drivetime show includes a feature on Fridays called "Friday Fixture" where listeners get a few minutes of airtime to explain about their chosen sport, typically this feature is for minority sports to help them get publicity.

Last Friday's feature was about 'FPV quad racing', the caller did a very good job of talking about multi rotors, mini quads and FPV; it was the presenter who brought the word drone into the conversation. After a brief explanation of what a quad racer is and and what FPV means the caller was given the chance to 'plug' an event called 'Aerial Grand Prix Yorkshire" which takes place this weekend on Sat 8th August at Holmes Park, Halifax.

One of the features of the event is that the pilots' video feeds are going to be displayed on large TV screens which I imagine will be quite exciting for spectators to watch. I believe another club in that general area (Bury - Ok it 's t'other side of the Pennies but its not that far away!) has also recently run an FPV event and I think they have a Club course for FPV flying.

I just think its great to see these new events coming together, being publicised as entertainment events and not only providing a competitive environment for the flyers but trying to make it appealing to spectators as well. They show everything about multi rotor flying in a positive light, thats got to be good??

Unless I'm reading it wrongly Maplin's appear to have their "control" and "video" frequencies the wrong way round!

• With new 5.8 GHz Remote Control and Receiver
• Featherweight 2.4 GHz Wi-Fi Camera With 720p/30 fps HD Video.

Maybe not jrman, some quads do use 5.8ghz for control. Parrot stated that it was allowed when I queried it with them. I emailed offcom, but surprise surprise, no answer.

I know I've mentioned the Jeremy Vine show previously and I understand he winds some people up (I agree that he can sometimes come across as the 'tabloid' of radio shows). However I'll give his show another mention because there was another 30 minutes item on drones again today.

The coverage is getting more positive and better informed and todays feature had a good focus on safe operation, appropriate training, the CAA and the BMFA both got a mention. There was input from a guy in the Cotswolds who is a licensed commercial operator and a training provider (he also got a good plug for his business).

The point that you can't just buy off the shelf and fly anywhere was well made as was the point that there is accountability in law if you get it wrong. As much as JV may not be to everyones' liking his show does get millions of listeners which means plenty of people getting the message ... which must surely be a good thing.

I listened to that on iplayer yesterday evening and found the coverage more positive than I was expecting - given Jeremy Vine's reputation.

Though JV did try a cheap "pot shot" at the BMFA, but it just made him look stupid. (Or more stupid?) Here's what he said, "The rules are very complicated. Everything is covered by the B flying, what is it, the B.M.F.A. which he says is the British Flying Models Association, so they're so organised they've actually got their letters the wrong way round."

Listen for yourself, the relevant bit starts at around 1:36:30 on here. (Might be available UK-only and probably only for a restricted time.)

Edited By John Privett on 13/08/2015 10:34:53

Posted by John Privett on 13/08/2015 10:34:12:

Though JV did try a cheap "pot shot" at the BMFA, but it just made him look stupid. (Or more stupid?)

I agree, but in the scheme of things decided not to let that put me off. But you are right it was a cheap shot and that's just the type of childish uninformed comment that can make listening to JV frustrating. It's a shame because sometimes when he covers stories of sensitive human interest he can be quite good.

I'm glad you found the coverage 'more positive' than you expected because that was just what I thought, hence my posting. Although I think as far as the mass media is concerned we are stuck with 'drones' I'm not sure we'll ever see 'multi rotors' adopted by the media.

Just listened to Mr Vine's diatribe on 'drones' and while it merely confirms IMHO, just how bad a journalist/presenter the gentleman is, the confusion surrounding legal drone operation was clearly highlighted.

Just what is a congested area for heavens sake? The expert guest suggested that even a member of the public wandering into a previously deserted park would render it congested. There was mention of "no insurance being available to cover a drone operator in the event of an accident or worse" - clearly incorrect, although the machine would have to be operated legally, as far as I'm aware.

Thanks for this John, I heard the last 5 mins in the car yesterday and was unsure what had been said before.. It was a bit of a sales pitch for his business in the Costwolds in my view; I do really feel this show seeks current media headlines and atempts to sensationalise them. Often leaving the topic unbalanced following Mr Vine's interuptions.

Interesting to read BEB has put together something for R4, this will no doubt be so much more beneficial in explaining activities involving UAV's; and of course putting a balanced and responsible dialogue out there for the world to listen too.. I will watch out for this..

I hope the R4 show gets the coverage and audience this "R2 luvvie" gets.. and I do feel it is a shame the BMFA were not mentioned or involved in the R2 show or the CAA as the ulitmate body with responsibility over our hobby..

But again I must live in cloud cuckoo land.. A balanced, well put together topic on the Jeremy Vine show..! How on earth did his name end up in the same sentence as balanced and well put together...? (I think some summerises it as "diatribe" How succient.

Interestingly this months model magazines appear to be carrying more UAV advertisements; none of them point out the responsibities of the owner to seek awareness, training or even cover from the BMFA!..

Given our hobbies desire to be seen as responsible (certainly from the few following this thread) the very least the BMFA should be adding to this advertisements is a code of conduct via their duty of care... the mags could do the same too..

Apologies if I seem drone on; but it does seem to be a fairly simple matter to nip this silly media scare mongering in the bud...

Edited By Area 51 on 13/08/2015 11:56:36

Posted by Area 51 on 13/08/2015 11:54:32:

I hope the R4 show gets the coverage and audience this "R2 luvvie" gets.. and I do feel it is a shame the BMFA were not mentioned or involved in the R2 show or the CAA as the ulitmate body with responsibility over our hobby..

The reality is that no output on R4 is going to reach anywhere near the audience numbers reached by daytime R2.

While the R2/JV output might not have been perfect it was broadly in the right place and it was heard by a wide audience which has to be a step in the right direction.

While neither the BMFA or the CAA contributed to the item both were mentioned as were their respective roles.. The popular/mass media are never going to represent this matter in a way that satisfies many people in our hobby, I'm just thankful that an item was put on air which did a half reasonable job of representing the status quo.