Mojo re found ?

Tony F

Ok today is a lovely day. Some may remember that I'd lost my RC flying mojo ? Building is fine. I haven't flown since last August , new baby is 3 weeks old and wife says "go fly !" With a childish grin I get ready with my daughter's trusty axn cloud electric glider and my new J3 cub electric foamy and also get my daughter over and off we go to our local field
It's quite busy there and the queue for take off was a bit long. Just prior to first flight this chappie comes along saying do this, do that, don't do this, don't do that !!! Now I've been flying a while , had my A cert for 2 years and think I know what I'm doing. Long story short. My daughter and I looked at each other, packed up and went home. Grin wiped off face . Very sad I thought. I know there should be rules but maybe this is why my mojo is finding it difficult to return ?

Tony

Edited By Tony F on 18/05/2014 16:22:38

Advert

If it was busy he was probably trying to get rid of you. I would suggest looking on the BMFA website for your nearest "proper" club. It sounds like you were at a local communal field. I probably wouldn't have been as polite as you ! Don't let it get to you. I'm sure you will find somewhere more suitable.

Kev I won't mention the club but it is a "proper" BMFA club but it is a little crowded. And my daughter wouldn't fly her glider because of members looking down their noses at a "female" flying. Yes I shouldn't of been so polite but that's how I was brought up and that's how my kid's are brought up. Soooo am looking for a relaxed club or empty field near west London.

Tony

I reckon if they are a BMFA affiliated club, then they should be named and shamed. Particularly if the character involved was a club official. Attitudes like this are not good for the promotion of our hobby / sport.

My first visit to our local club was last year and I was made to feel most welcome.

Edited By kevin b on 18/05/2014 18:53:05

YES - Name & Shame!

My guess is that the Club's members who subscribe to Modelflying will recognise the self-important Idiot who spoiled your day, and hopefully will give him the hard time he deserves. I hope too that you get the apology you and your daughter deserve from a senior member of the club concerned and find you and your daughter welcomed back into the fold.

May I commend you sir on your powers of restraint, walking away is always going to be the best option and I admire anyone that can do that. That said, when it comes to the PC police as Ben so eloquently put it, I have tendency to walk through these vial creatures as opposed to walking away from them, this is because it is often the manner in which they chose to make their point rather than the point they are trying to making that tends to light my fuse, it costs nothing to be respectful and polite.

I really hope you manage to find a good club Tony.

Take care

Richie

i agree with the naming ,, maybe not the shaming though . my reason being that its quite probable the culprit is on here / has been on here or knows others on here , naming might re educate him and make him aware  to,all the negativity he has created and maybe  make him think twice before doing it next time ... fly low

Edited By ben goodfellow 1 on 18/05/2014 20:38:49

No guys , I shall not name and shame. I think my club is very "old school" and I can be upset all day long but it's against my nature to upset others. I really have had enough of this type of thing happening as I've seen it before and no doubt it'll happen again. I know rules are there for a reason but why grumpiness ? Do people not like seeing others happy and relaxed ? Totally peeved now but I'm sure I'll get to fly soon

Tony

That's a very dignified response, Tony, and I'm pleased you've made that decisionsmile

Regarding the naming and shaming, well, that's a bit of a 'lynch mob' response, IMHO, and none of the mods here would tolerate any name being put up for a public stoning on this forum.....face 4

Whilst I don't doubt Tony's account in any respect - and I can well imagine the incident - there may be reasons, valid or otherwise, why this person acted as he did and he will probably be recognised by any club members who frequent this forum.

We can only hope that feedback reaches him and he has a word with himself.....

Pete

Tony,

I sympathise. A few times I've been to the field, and there's generally one or two knowitalls there, whose constant boasting and knowledge of all things put me off before I start. I must admit I've not been a subject of the PC brigade. I really do pick and choose my time very carefully as to when I go - I do hold a 9-5 job so I am limited as to when I attend and generally go in late PM.

Don't let it put you off mate wink

Tony,

Don't let it put you off.

Next time a restrained "Thank you for your advice, I'm going to fly now." May impart the right signals and he will leave you alone.

You're there to fly, not for a lecture.

Go and get some stick time, don't forget your Mojo though!

Shaunie.

Tony - Unless: a) "Local Rules" preclude some practically silent flying at 06.00, or b) You're too knackered after a night shift - the air first thing in the morning can be so calm that a couple of gentle flights on your way home might just set you up nicely for breakfast and bed. (It is not unknown for me, on a nice Summer morning to go to my "big"field after the 1st cuppa of the day and fly out a battery with my EasyGliderPro before ablutions and breakfast. So I know what I'm talking about.)

And let's face it - between 06.00 & 07.00 - it's unlikely there will be anyone present to pass judgement on your uniform anyway!

Shaunie....It won't put me off....just a case of it puts it off (flying)....again.

Gurth has the right idea....Coming home from a difficult night shift then and an hour's peaceful flying may be the way to go....wink

Tony

I've had a few try that on with me, but they only tried the once, after they were told where to go, but thats just how i roll, i'm a very pleasant sociable person and can get on with anyone, but i hate the little hitlers spewing their political club crap.

I'm there to fly and enjoy myself in a safe and friendly manner, without advice from the fun police

If you want a flying experience that is the polar opposite then you could do a lot worse than going to Richmond Park, the official flying site is best accessed by parking at the Shean Gate car park then walking directly one field over - crossing the inner road. It isn't a 'club' as such and has no clipboard police but it is the only flying allowed in any royal park and the only real rules are 1) electric only 2) be insured.

Alan