Design & Build Short Stirling

Yes it would be a fantastic sight seeing a full size Stirling gracing our skies once more.

I'm sure I read that the Stirling when empty of bombs and low on fuel could out turn a hurricane now that would be a sight.

As for replicas, I know that the Stirling Project is making a full size replica of a forward section including the main crew stations.

Just a pity they are stopping there.

Robert's brilliant model of this fascinating plane provokes all kinds of interest. It was the first of the four engined heavies, although as a second string to the first choice Supermarine 317 which was abandoned when the two prototypes under construction were destroyed in a Luftwaffe raid on the Supermarine works in Southampton. In service, the Lancaster had a significantly lower loss rate per sortie than the Halifax, which in turn survived better than the Strirling. The Lancaster was the hardest to get out of when it did go down. However, the better aircraft survival rate meant that overall the crew loss rate was still lower than for the other two. Most of all, the loss rate per ton of bombs delivered was much lower for the Lancaster and this was the significant factor in its' being the first choice for Bomber Command.

I can't wait to see pictures of Robert's Stirling in the air. When I've finished my Chipmunk build (!) I will get back to my 317, which is part built. It's the same scal as Robert's Stirling and Nihuis Lanc, it would be great to see them lined up together. Everything seems to take longer to do than I originally estimate though, it's called incompetence. Still I try!

I would love to see a Halifax fly as well. I bet 4 Bristol Hercules engines (same as the Stirling) make a wonderful sound!

I know we are slightly off topic here, but a chap from the Shakleton preservation society came and gave a talk at my club last week. Really informative and I am very much looking forward to seeing that back in the air as well

• 4 weeks later...

Hi All,

The problem I mentioned earlier with the different RPM's has now been rectified. After contacting George at 4Max I removed all of the ESC's and returned them to him as the programming card for the ESC's is no longer available and he programmed them for me and reported back that 1 of the ESC's was set to a low setting.

I now have the ESC's back but yet to re-install them.

However, during the building of the wings I had not given enough consideration to the removal of the ESC's. This resulted in some surgary on the underside of the wing and to each of the nacelles. With the nacelles I had made access hatch but had not cut them out.

So note to self when designing / building my next electric aircraft allow for access and longer leads.

Regards

Robert

Hi All,

Just a quick update, the esc's are bow installed and all repairs to the wing and nacelles are now done.

I did have a difficult day yesterday when having tested the esc's and motors before fitting, once fitted they would not work I tried everything and in the end I put a thread out for some advice and thank you to those who replied.

Well having walked away for a couple of hours and returned and read the replies I was on the right track. I had fitted a new extension lead straight from the packet and fitted it into the wing. After testing each esc and motor in turn and connecting directly to the rx the fault was traced back to the new lead. I've never experienced this before. It was a Cirrus brand, now binned, it could have cost me a plane.

That's all for now

The maiden awaits after some ground handling tests

Regards

Robert

• 6 months later...

Hi All,

It's been a while since adding anything to this posting.

This morning, I awoke to find a frosty start with clear blue skies and no wind and I thought to myself lets maiden the Stirling as well as my Wellington. So batteries charged up and planes loaded, a quick check on a wind turbine in the distance, not moving - great.

However, on getting closer to the patch and the turbine i noticed that the blades were feathered and there was a slight breeze. On reaching the patch I was greeted by a solitary fellow modeller and a 15mph Northerly, cross wind for our patch which was gusting 20+. So we had a chat and waited an hour but the conditions worsened so we called it a day.

Pity, I was looking forward to flying the Stirling

So, until more favourable weather arrives the maiden will have to wait.

My next project is one of two planes. My original intention was to build the TN Sunderland which I have purchased the plan and wood pack etc. however, over the last couple of weeks I've been wanting to design again. Another rarley modelled aircraft, the FW 200 Condor, inspired by the box art of the Airfix Sunderland kit I have, having purchased a 1/72nd scale model and looked more closely at the Condor it initally presents a couple of challenges, firstly, wing shape and secondly, the oddely engineered underecarriage. The wing I can overcome, but the undercarriage, that will have to be compromised a bit I think, I failed my CSE metalwork exam.

Perhaps, I may just do both.

Regards

Robert

Hi All,

The Stirling has flown.

All but the shortest of flights about 10 seconds to be precise.

Now for the repairs.

dsc09121.jpg

Lined up next to my TN Lancaster, which I also maidened today. Range checked and ready to go.

dsc09132.jpg

Lined up

dsc09135.jpg

And airbourne in no time at all, she started to swing towards the pits, I cut the throttle and she landed but came to an abrupt stop

dsc09139.jpg

with the air sock, I had to find the only post. Damage not too bad, leading edge, bent u/c leg and snapped tailplane.

dsc09142.jpg

Back home to assess the damage the u/c is easy to fix but it is a weak point

dsc09143.jpg

dsc09144.jpg

So I'm going to be a busy for a bit doing the repairs.

Plus my Lancaster also suffered a bent leg on a very gentle touch down. I think I need to rethink my design for the u/c pins.

That's all for now and thank's to Richard our club chairman for the "flying" shots

Regards

Robert

Edited By Robert Parker on 13/11/2016 18:45:50

Your right Colin, but another foot to the left would have a lot less, still very annoyed with myself.

Yes Martyn, I think nerves may have a part to play but at this moment I am unsure what caused it to swing to the left, if anything it should have been to the right with the torque effect. Or she lifted off on engine power rather than lift and started to stall. Looking at the photo of take off she is lifting off all three wheels at once rather than the tail lifting and flying off.

Regards

Robert

Hi All,

Repairs are well underway now, the wing went back together very well the leading edge was just pushed back into the wing and I cut away the damaged section of sheeting on the underside, a bit of filler and paint will sort it out.

However, the stabiliser is another matter, both the leading and trailing edges had snapped along with the sheeting just about flush with the fuselage joint, so I'm gluing some 1/16th ply to reinforce them then scarf in some new sheeting.

Hitting the wind sock pole rotated the aircraft sideways causing the undercarriage to bend and that I assume caused the stabiliser to strike the ground causing the damage, the amount of mud in the elevator joint would back up this.

That's all for now

Regards

Robert

• 1 month later...

Hi All,

The good news is that the repairs to the Stirling are now complete and she is as good as new.

The bad news is that I've got to go into hospital for repairs and undergo some surgery to repair my shoulder.

I'll be unable to drive for 6-8 weeks and off work for 12 weeks so I'll be grounded for the bulk of the time crying, I should hopefully be able to do some drawing / building during the time offsmiley.

That's all for now

Regards

Robert

Thank's Colin, it's going to make eating my Christmas dinner interesting with one arm in a sling, I'll have to have a turkey leg.

I know that I will be in a lot of pain and discomfort, but it will be short term rather than the pain I've suffered for the last eight months, it will teach me for showing off to the apprentices that the "old man" can still do a bit, they wind me up with their lacks-a-dasical, can't be bothered attitude to work. If I had their attitude to work in my day I would got a right what for.

Regards

Robert

• 1 year later...

Hi All,

Yet again the Stirling has been plagued with problems yesterday and failed to get aloft constantly turning to the left.

Back in the pits it transpired that one of the speed controllers was running 2000 rpm less than the others so that was that more photos taken

my stirling 11.jpg

my stirling.jpg

Yours truely. diet needed by the looks of things.

So once I dig out the controllers I will run some tests

Regards

Robert