Cambrian Spitfire Mk IX Build Log

Cambrian Spitfire Mk IX  -  55 inch Wingspan

This will be my second ‘proper’ build, having cut my teeth on an Avicraft Mini Panic. I am building this to gain experience and hoping that I end up with something at least airworthy!

I will be converting this to an electric setup and fitting e-flite retracts. I also fancy having a go at a glass/resin finish and maybe a bit of airbrushing (keeping an eye on weight}. I will mention that, to date, I am quite a slow builder (I tend to do an awful lot of thinking).

So …… onward and upward.

After much deliberation I am diving in with fitting the retracts. I made a template of the suggested mounting plate that was drawn on the plan and used this to set out the position of the retracts on each wing.

img_2197.jpg

img_2199.jpg

I made the decision to make a ply box with bearers to fix into a recess cut into the wing – I think this will be much stronger and easier to set the correct angles

img_2212.jpg

img_2217.jpg

I then set about with the Dremel type tool to fashion the wheel well.

img_2224.jpg

img_2229.jpg

img_2230.jpg

img_2234.jpg

Add some bearers and glue some extra ply to the mounting plates.

img_2282.jpg

img_2283.jpg

More later....

Edited By Geoff Gardiner on 24/05/2014 19:27:21

Advert

OK.. here's a bit more.

Glue on the leading edges and rear spars using Gorilla glue

img_2285.jpg

Then glue on the wing tips.

img_2288.jpg

img_2289.jpg

I had to add a bit of scrap balsa as the wing tip was not quite thick enough when centered.

img_2290.jpg

img_2294.jpg

img_2297.jpg

Laid out the wing just to get an idea of the shape.

img_2296.jpg

Then attack it with the David plane and create a bit of mess.

img_2303.jpg

Bend the wire aileron cranks taking care to get the angle right and glue on the inboard trailing edges.

img_2304.jpg

img_2307.jpg

More later...

Oh darn.............. it was going so well!

Thanks everyone for your comments. Yours looks great CS - is it finished yet?

I intend this as a warts and all build log, as I'm learning as I go, and here's my first wart!.

Looks like I have no choice other than cut off the trailing edges off and put them on the correct way around, unless anyone has a cunning plan.

OK.... back on track (I hope).

I had put the wrong trailing edge on the wrong wing half. I decided the easiest thing would be to cut the rear spar in half and swap everything around as a unit.

img_2324.jpg

img_2325.jpg

img_2327.jpg

Sanded the edges flat and glued back on correct wing half.

img_2328.jpg

img_2329.jpg

Bit of filler and a final sand and I think it should be good to go.

One thought. The design is for a single servo for the ailerons but I am thinking it may be better to use two, thus giving the option for programming flaperons. What are you doing CS.

More later...

Yes, nice escape Geoff. No harm done - no one but us will ever know wink 2

I agree with CSB - I wouldn't use flaperons on a Spitfire. They have a tendency towards tip stalling at the best of times - some aileron droop would effectively increase the AoA of the wing tips - which would only aggrevate that tendency - it would be like having wash-in! Definitely not good when you are in the late stages of an approach and looking to flair (and so increase the AoA) anyway as you could find yourself with a model that had a real likeness for severely dropping a wing just at the wrong moment!

Warbirds like to be landed quite quickly - flown in all the way then just back right off the throttle at the last instant.

BEB

Good Info - thanks. I will avoid flaperons.

A few more pictures to bring things up to date:

Glue in the retract mountings using Gorilla glue (the foaming variety).

img_2314.jpg

Test fit retract units.

img_2317.jpg

img_2320.jpg

img_2322.jpg

This is my first experience with retract units and I have found that, due to the angle that you have to mount the unit, the wheel well has to be much bigger than the wheel in order to stop it jamming on the edge. Is this usual or do I need to put a bend in the leg? The video below, which I made before I switched the trailing edges, hopefully gives you an idea of what I mean. The wheel just about clears the edge but I am concerned that if the leg gets slightly bent during use it will bind.

img_2321.jpg

More later...

Yes its quite normal to have to allow yourself a little "wiggle room". Also you may have to play with the depth of the cut-out a little as you will probably have to rotate the wheel slightly so that the tracking is right when the gear is down.

If you want to find out a bit more about the joys and delights of retract geometry you can have a look at my efforts (with input from Danny Fenton and others) on my Typhoon build thread here. The discussion starts around there and spreads over the next couple of pages. Lots of useful stuff and some good links. There is a video a couple of pages later that shows that I did actually eventually get it right - somehow!

BEB

Geoff,
I agree wholeheartedly with BEB. Having just built a Spit', encountered exactly what you describe in your posting, the tendency to catch the edge of the wheel well, the slightly angled wheel once stowed etc. Similarly to BEB, I too eventually got it right although I found getting it right took up quite a lot of time and patience. Your installation looks really neat and precise by the way. You're correct though in thinking that a less than perfect landing may have a tendency to bend the legs slightly and you might find yourself easing them one way or another once you start flying. This is not just a trait of the Spitty though, all retracts can be troublesome in one way or another. Getting the wheel spats to align and lay flat and stay aligned is also quite testing but looking at your level of building proficiency I'd say you'll more than cope.
Lovely build to follow..... keep up the good work sir yes

Regards
Roy

OK, so I am thinking about what motor and battery combo I am going to use before I start building the fuselage - in case I need to make any modifications.

I would like to use kit that I already have, to try and keep costs down. Namely:

Lipo Battery - 5S 4000mah

Motor - I have two to choose from, both Overlander Thumpers. These are the Specs

1. Tornado C4250, 600kv, 720 watt max, 3-7 Lipo, 45A ESC, Prop from 10x5

2. V2 T5045/10, 720kv, 1250 watt, 3-7 Lipo, 80A ESC, Prop from 13inch

The suggested average weight for this Spitfire is 5.5lbs.

Do you think either of these combos would be suitable? I am thinking the 2nd option but I do get a bit confused with all the numbers.

Any advice gratefully received.

Hi Geoff,

Its a bit hard to give a clear view here - as I haven't used these motors and Overlanders website is a bit sparse on important details! In particular the maximum current the motor can cope with. They tell us what ESC to use - but not the actual max motor current!

But lets assume the second motor can cope with 70A - the ESC current minus 15% or so. With a 4s that would give you a max possible power of nominally 1kW - which is far more than you need for a warbird weighing 5.5lbs - you should be looking for a max power of around 750-800W. So that all looks good - because you could probably prop-down to that level no problem.

The First motor let's assume a max motor current of 40A - so on 4s that's a max nominal power of about 600W. Now, without doubt that will fly a Spitfire of 5.5lbs - but with not a lot left over! And the system would have to be prop'ed spot on to deliver the max current.

On balance I'd go with motor two as its a bit more flexible on prop choice and has a bit more "in hand". But of course as always the Wattmeter is the only really accurate way of knowing.

BEB

So… I have set out the motor, 100A ESC and battery on the plan to see how things fit.

img_2332.jpg

img_2331.jpg

The battery is a bit of I tight fit length ways – I may have to move the servos slightly. Also need to decide which way up the battery should go. I will need to cut away some of F3 to get the battery through.

img_2334.jpg

img_2335.jpg

Thanks, BEB, for your wise words regarding motor choice. I will go with the option 2 - Overlander Thumper V2 T5045/10, 720kv, 1250 watt.

However, the batteries I have are 5s – so I think this gives the following:

W = V x I (18.5 x 70) which gives us 1295W

RPM = V x KV (18.5 x 720) which gives us 13320rpm

If I want to achieve around 800W, I will need to select a prop that draws around 43W (I = W/V) and hope it doesn't look too small for the scale of the aircraft.

Does that sound about right or do you think I will need to use 4s batteries?

More later...

Hi Geoff.

I hope you don't mind me sticking my nose in, but it might be worth moving the battery forwards as far as possible. On my Spitfire, the batteries are almost touching the back of the motor and I still had to add a little nose weight. It is also depron, so the tail will be probably be lighter than yours.

Enjoying watching this build.

Ian