Why am i Chipping in ?

Planne side by side planned version was actually a 3 seater. One behind. The Jet? Ever heard of hunting Percival and their Jet Provost . Talking of which piston Provost, Proctor ,and Prentice would make interesting builds Might have a go myself if I ever get walking properly again. anyone else interested?

John

I believe that a model Proverst, won an UK nats some yrs back, 79 or 76 somewhere around there, a friend of mine built one off the very same plan, and entered it in the Aus nats, but was disqualified, because the tailplane was greater than 5% of the 3 view drawings (big stink over that)........ yea it might make a neat model dont know

Barry

I actually got to fly in a Provost. If memory serves I think it was very like the Chippie but a harder landing although that may have been the instruxtors fault. Fun days as a cadet ( CCF ) Now 72 with shot hips and long delays for ops. Fly right peeps.john

I've seen the Provost done once or twice and it's another nice subject. For our Aussie mates, they've got the Winjeel, which is so similar. I was at Point Cook in 2012 and one of those was used for a great aerobatic demonstration.

Afterwards I spoke to the pilot who was recent ex RAAF after many years service and had finished up flying F111 Aardvarks. He'd spent time in the UK and had visited Duxford. I commented on the visual resemblance between the Provost and Winjeel, which seemed to be more than a co-incidence. He also commented on how close the Australian and British aircraft industries had been at one time and that was probably part of it.

The jet Chipmunk project got dumped because the Yanks offered the T37 cheap, as we know, dim-wit politicians consider that to be more important than sustaining strategically important industries. The chance to buy the F101 Voodoo cheap from the USA was probably the main reason for the Canadian Diefenbaker government dumping the brilliant Avro Canada CF105 Arrow as well.

Ah well, back to John's Chipmunk! He's certainly getting there with it, there's not much that's straightforward with this design, it's probably got more potential for having to do things twice than any other plane that I've built! Hopefully its' flying qualities will make it worthwhile.

Funny you mention the Winjeel I came across it aling witha couple of other Aussie plane on one of those U -tube links. Re the closeness of our two aircraft industries There was a De Haves shadow factory building Mossies during the war and I !THINK! Chippies after. Not sure about the latter. Yep the Winjeel is similar and would make a good subjectl is. Also MB s 3,4,and 5 and Aircraft that never flew, * some prototypes did but scrapped. Spiteful and some other Supermarine projects. Google the Aircraft that never flew it is very interesting Now back to John's Chippie. Yes brilliant job but is the problem too much detail all in one place, It looks from what I can see as though there are layers that need lifting and printing seperately, A case of too much info in one place.??

Onetenna, na I was 25, and 40yrs have taken there toll, but I found one done by Roy Yates 60" ( still avail..My Hobby Store) could have been that one, back then a 10cc was considered a large power plant

Sorry John,back to your build

Barry

Edited By A.A. Barry on 11/03/2015 08:44:54

• 3 weeks later...