Davids Build

David Rothwell

Hi all,

Its time I contributed to the chipshop build, first a bit about myself

Like many others I was started in modelling by my father at an early age, being in the Navy during the 50s,60s and early 70s he would go away for what seemed years at a time and suddenly arrive home with an array of models he constructed during his time away, these were mainly of the plastic variety and surprisingly enough (for a Matelot) all of aircraft, of course by the age of 7 or 8 I was building Airfix and Revelle kits and progressed to the usual Keilkraft and balsa kits by the time I was 11or12.

Like others on this forum I joined the ATC at 13 and a bit (2336sqn Plymouth wing) and my first flying experience was aerobatics in a Chippie at RAF Chivenor in 1971 Easter camp.

Living quite close to Roborough airport the chippie was almost a daily site as Britannia Royal Naval Air Experience Flight was based there till 1993, the Chipmunk having replaced Tiger Moths in 1965-66 and of course I had many air experience flights with the ATC from there.

My modelling career tailored off during my late teenage years as motor bikes, cars and women gradually replaced them although I stayed with the ATC until I was in my mid twenties when a wife and young children put paid to many things, a brief resurgence of modelling when my boys were about 6 & 8 saw me build a cub and Skyvan with the intention of doing the same as my father in passing down what skills I had was soon killed off with football for my eldest son, netball for my daughter and the advent of computers and games for my youngest.

Now like so many over 50`s I find that I have time on my hands, so when my mother died a couple of years ago, and having to empty the house that mum and dad had spent 40 odd years living in, I found forgotten in the loft several plans and unfinished models, OS engines and the like, as well as some old 35mhz equipment.

Having found all this has rekindled my desire to restart modelling and flying, so having rescued a defunct arisingstar joined a local club and now looking for something to build over the winter months which will tax my rusty modelling skills and certainly scare the wotnot out of me when I come to fly it having got my A under my belt (hopefully) sometime this summer.

My chosen Chipmunk to model stems from the fact that I was born in Ceylon in the late 50`s when my father was stationed at Trincomalee and to be quite honest I thought the colours were unusual but compared to some of the schemes aired here, that may not be so.

I have ordered the plan and canopy and hinges and am trying to decide whether to cut my own parts or just order the cnc pack, certainly looking forward to taking part and learning new skills

David

Advert

• 1 month later...

Just ordered the oleos

so whats next, need the plan,cowl,canopy and wood set, ( deliberately not ordered that yet, to avoid temptation), wheels ,wing tapes etc and sort out the engine which I would really like to be a petrol or 4st glow, defo not electric and covering and all the servo`s and rc equipment.

oh yes, all the special Danny Fenton bits!!!!!

Slowly, slowly catchee monkey!!! or hopefully SWMBO don`t find out how much i`m spendingwink

Edited By Davwik on 02/08/2014 17:02:39

• 3 weeks later...