Chapter One - RCM&E's build-a-plane series

Nigel Hawes

Hi everyone,

As promised in the mini-series I'm writing in the magazine, this is a help / encouragement / Q&A thread for anyone interested in building the featured model (as yet unnamed, but that will change soon thanks to the hundreds of entries to the naming competition!)

I know from E-mail correspondence that others are scratch building something similar alongside the series, and one or two were so impatient to get started I've even sent out some sets of basic templates!

Graham Ashby asked that I put the thread in this section as the model will ultimately appear as an RCM&E free plan in a few issues time at the end of the series, and with this and the availability of a CNC cut parts pack, we're hoping to get a good participation.

I know I can rely on the experienced modellers out there to help beginners on here, even if some of the questions asked may seem straightforward, everyone has to start somewhere and if the entire project encourages more beginners and ARTF-only fliers to have a go at building a "proper" built up model, then it will have done its job.

Despite a massive workload both within and outside of the hobby, I will be visiting this thread almost daily, and will hopefully be able to give first-hand help as I designed it (for designed read "clagged it together!" smiley

Whilst the thread is a bit premature, there will hopefully be plenty to discuss before the plan comes out, and I'm hoping to add a load of additional build photos that there simply wasn't room for in the magazine pages.

Let's get some new entrants building and flying!

Nigel Hawes.

Advert

I think there is a need for more balsa built electric models as pullout plans in RCME so this will be welcome.. A dual glow or electric variant is even better. If the title of this thread indicated that this was a trainer built from scratch then there could be more readers.........

Hi Chris,

Oddly enough, many of the entries to the naming competition have centred around my second name - some chap even suggested "Pegasus" as it's a Flying Hawes (1, 2, 3... GROAN!)

But the winner will be picked very soon, and by the time the plan feature comes out the model will have a name.

If anyone would like a sneak preview of the finished model, here is the electric version that has been complete and flying for many weeks now.

Just don't tell the editor I posted it! devil

1.jpg

I decided to turn the Depron into a flying model, it will follow the outline of Project X as it will appear in the plans, but be a composite construction, with Depron Fuselage, formers, and Tail surfaces constructed out of 6 mm Depron, with traditional made up wing construction and Balsa and Ply parts where needed.

The first part was to add some 3/8 Balsa Doublers on the lower fuselage, and to cut a 3/16 ply plate for the U/C attachment. This was all epoxied on

imag0117.jpg

imag0116.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

I'm in the "Pegasus" camp Nigel. What's more the Parachute Regiment "Pegasus Winged Horse" logo would look great on the plane in a suitable colour and give it a distinctive identity. It's a name that could be used again for a later version, e.g. a bigger one could be "Pegasus 2", almost like a brand. It lives on my shed door as a happy memory of my dad coming home in all his gear from exercises with the Paras in the early 50s and time spent as a little boy at the long gone barracks in Witton, Birmingham. "Pegasus"! I've got my fingers crossed.img_0913.jpg

There have been hundreds of name suggestions, with several dozen coming from one chap with help from his other half! The response has been fantastic and we're very grateful for all the interest.

Having fully tested the i.c. version, the plan(s) have now been drawn up and will be presented in November issue of RCM&E (the one after the 2014 Special Edition) all being well.

We're also hoping the CNC cut pack and undercarriage parts will be available then too.

I had no idea there was so much work in a project like this, with so many other parties involved, but the end product will be very accessible to beginner builders / fliers, and hopefully will encourage some newcomers to take the plunge.

The winning name will also be announced in November issue and will receive one of the first CNC packs, along with the 4-Max electric powerset that George Worley has generously donated as an incentive!

It's excellent that so many high profile people in the hobby have backed this project (RCM&E themselves, Tim Calvert at Model Markings, Ian Hull at SLEC, George Worley at 4-Max, Allan Stead at J. Perkins, Steve Webb amongst others) and even a good few experienced fliers have vowed to build one for a bit of nostalgia!

I have to say there's something very pure and non-stressful about flying a rudder / elevator only trainer again after 35 years of small, fast aileron-equipped models, and I'm looking forward to following Project X up with an aileron wing for those who have become proficient fliers on ARTFs, but want to build something for the first time.

Who knows, if the demand exists I may follow it up in a year or two with a first low winger project, but this one has been a huge commitment and I have some of my own ongoing builds to complete first!

Nige.