Piper Pawnee PA 25 duster

decided to build a Piper Pawnee duster was toying with building Dusty from the film planes (grandson is a fan) but found the plans for a control line Piper PA25 on Outer Zone that I certain can be modified at 168% which will give approx 60" span, the original version had all sorts of working bits such as lights control stick duster unit flaps and ailerons the flaps and ae's were not functional.it will need beefing up in some areas and I will do that as I progress..

plans printed from pdf tiled the all glued together that was fun

dscf0271.jpg

fuselage sides and formers heck it's big like a shoe box

dscf0270.jpg

slow work but got to a stage of a part built fus

dscf0274.jpg

Advert

thank you Tony and yes it is the vanes go all the way to the front and vane edges have ali tape on to,the tube is a container for vitamin c tablets again covered in ali foil,the hopper outlet is a plastic gift card covered in ali tape and slides in a homemade guide and operated by a 9g servo in the cockpit which will be under the pilots seat..had to stop typing before tea was calling .

the rear cockpit made with spruce dowels also the rear stringers are dowel except the top one which is 1/4" pine

dscf0276.jpg

shot of rear cockpit area painted dark blue you can also see the hopper servo

dscf0282.jpg

the rear cockpit framework painted black to simulate the steel tube. I didn't realise until I started this plane that the aircraft fuselage is entirely steel tube bit like a kit car

dscf0283.jpg

more soon

• 2 weeks later...

this is turning out to be a gentle jog,I decided to have a go at doing a sort of realistic cockpit including seat control stick instrument panel complete with 2 working lights oh and the dummy lever to open the hopper, I have also been working on the centre section of the wing (no pics yet) as it will be easier to line up the hopper outlet into the spreader,motor is on it's way so the front end can be done. anyway 4 pics

dscf0288.jpg

dscf0289.jpg

dscf0290.jpg

this one also shows the hopper

dscf0291.jpg

I'm interested as well, looks like you are doing a good job. My grandson also loves "Dusty". I was given a Hangar 9 Pawnee which one of my club mates "wrote off" that was his view, I'm in the process of repairing it. Making the canopy may prove a bit of work Martin? Keep updating the pictures, may the maiden flight be a happy one.

Keep going Martian - no comment yet from me because I'm speechless at the quality and creativeness of your build. I'm a sucker for anything to do with crop dusters, since watching one working on the fields near my village a few years ago, so this is of major interest! Thanks for keeping us up to date with progress.

well I'm astounded thank you all very much . Prop nut the very first aircraft I ever saw close up was at the age of 13 and I cycled 6 miles to see it and it was a crop duster don't know which one but it was a magical moment and have never lost interest in aircraft since had a spell in the ATC got to fly in a Cadet glider and a Chippie .Spice Cat your right there is something about them functional ugly grace .Vechio I was going down the Dusty route but kind of got swept up with the real one so it will be blue and white that's fast becoming my signature colour scheme . Derek the cockpit /canopy will be from birch dowel I think it will be ok.

hay fever and arthritis mean I can only work in short stints never mind more time for thinking.

below my pilot with his lengthened torso and then painted,,my good lady says he looks like me when I was younger I said wot you mean artificial

dscf0293.jpg

dscf0299.jpg

fuselage front end time to tackle this bit ,the original plan was a lot smaller and also ic powered so the front end relied heavily on the engine bearers to build around after some thought I decided the only way to do this for electric power was to build a motor box that combined the battery box and esc mounting this would be epoxied to the firewall which also has the uc mounted on it.

dscf0294.jpg

in this pic below you can see a tube this will carry the throttle wire from the ESC to the receiver it passes through the hopper box.

dscf0295.jpg

motor / battery box plonked in place to give me an idea how it's fitting,bear in mind I'm making this up as I go along

dscf0296.jpg

this shows former 2 slid over the box I have made a duplicate former with a larger cutout when complete the cowl will be split at this point

dscf0297.jpg

these 2 pics show F2 in place being bonded with pu glue and held with home made elastic band clamps.

dscf0302.jpg

dscf0303.jpg

I'm sure a while ago someone did a survey ,which bit of building do you like least well for me it's bending wire of any size especially UC wire my hands are painful at the best of time but this stuff takes the biscuit moan over it's done now just got to figure how best to mount it ,on the grown up pawnee the uc is mounted just forward of the leading edge it's made a little more difficult because the duster box will not allow the wing to detach at an angle so it will be bolted in place in front as well as the rear ,more soon

dscf0300.jpg

dscf0301.jpg

On a whim I decided to fit a tilt switch to operate a flashing led on the instrument panel a faux stall warning indicator.Instrument all wired up now and refitted run wires to servo/radio bay and tried pilot again I just have to epoxy him in place then complete the cockpit cage ready for glazing.

Tilt switch

dscf0305.jpg

fitted in instrument panel

dscf0306.jpg

panel with led unlit

dscf0307.jpg

and panel tilted led now on (instruments don't work ) maybe another time

dscf0308.jpg

panel in place and pilot doing pre flight check

dscf0310.jpg