Landing deagostini spitfire

Can someone help me. I have been flying for many years "B" standard.

i have built a spitfire from all the monthly mags, ebay not my own. It fly,s really well and looks great in the air. The moment I try and land and ease up on revs the tail drops and it wants to gain height. Checked c of g on the machine and it looks perfect, if anything a shade nose heavy.

I have landed it eventually on every occasion, but at my age the adrenalin is pumping too strongly.

Advert

Trim the model to desend slowly on a fast 1/4 throttle set up (thissetting is dependent on pitch and dia of prop) .

Fly it in and control our desent with throttle.... use a tiny bit of elevator to three point it

all sounds easy but...indecisionand practice gets you there so don't give upsmiley

Agree with the "Down thrust" post .Only other suggestion is a mix in your throttle /elevator giving up elevator when throttle is closed. Try re-setting your tx on that model to Default and re programming the model. If problem persists then try mixing some down elevator when the throttle is closed , enough to allow the model to fly level and sink as air speed is lost. Only other way is to cure it manually and change the thrust line by packing the engine mount to achieve required flight The Deagostini Spitfire was usually very well behaved . I have flown four of these for different club members and the onlly recurring problems I have encountered is that the aileron torque rods are too flimsy allowing the ailerons to be blown back . Cure that by fitting a servo in each wing. Good luck and let us know how you get on .

I have a servo in each wing, there were a couple at our club, one crashed for that reason. So when I built mine I added one in each wing. I checked on the balancing tool last night, and if any thing it is slightly nose heavy.

so the next visit to the field will be interesting. Will try the down trim as that's the easiest test. Failing that I start playing with the engine mounts.

Hi Tom ,our colleagues have already told everything should and I certify with my Spit landing experience . I had three Spitfire, and two were i.c. drive.Until I corrected down trust I had always a bit of a nose jumped up. I noticed when I set the flaps and gear for landing .. following the removal of throttle at 30 percent ... appeared to be a symptoms of ''your'' nose up . Once I reduced down trust, from 2.5 dgrs on 1.5 dgrs , the nose was no longer jumping  in the process of landing.

Many happy landings

Jo

Edited By Josip Vrandecic -Mes on 21/07/2014 12:45:27

Edited By Josip Vrandecic -Mes on 21/07/2014 12:50:40

Hi all

I have noticed the last reply basic agreed with most of the others, that more down thrust is needed.

Well I have spent the last 3/4 hr changing the thrust by 1 * so hopefully when it gets back in the air on Wednesday my heart can relax a bit, and the hands will stop shaking after the third aborted landing.

thanks everyone for your help.

I,ll report back Wednesday.

Tom

Tom

Most low wing Warbirds have more area (thus drag) below the prop centre line than above it.

Under power the thrust line is above the centre of drag so it tries to pull the nose down.

If you have the plane trimmed to fly level under power and then take the power off the nose down effect is removed so the plane tries to climb. It needs some down elevator (or trim) to compensate.

Just be aware if you have trimmed it 'neutral' for a low power approach and then apply full power to 'go round' it will then be trimmed a bit nose down.