Phil finally building the DF

Phil Winks

Its been a busy week at work and flying Wednesday evening but still managed to get the tail feathers nearly ready for covering, the rudder is still in the rough and the fin needs a coat of thinned fuel proofer. The antique solartex will be here mid week.

picture 040 df 2014.jpg

As you can see I've got F2a ready with two 5mm bolts in the place of the silver steel dowels to test alignment, and this will be also used as a base template for the 5mm ish ply wing brace that needs to bridge over the tank, to beef things up the back spar will get a brace too.

picture 041 df 2014.jpg

Finally I've also made a start on the wing though only just.

Thanks Chris, to be honest I will be holding my breath when they 1st touch down, fingers crossed they hold up, as I fly ic from a concrete strip.

My only real concern is the tyre to rim bond, though it does seem good. The tyre being solid nitrile cord is pretty darned solid, with precious little give, and they are well stretched onto the rim. Though I may trial them on another model before committing this one to the air.

As a wise old model boat builder once told me, if you glue two bits of wood together every dsy then eventually the model will get finished, so despite working 9 and 12 hr days this last week here is the sum total of those metaphorical two bits of wood a day

picture 042 df 2014.jpg

So following a coat or two of satin fuel proofer they will be ready for hinging and fitting. I have to say I thoroughly enjoyed my 1st experience with Solartex, yes I know all these years building and I've never used solartex lol.

Thanks John, I fully intend to decorate the cockpit the same way as the turtle deck which, to recap, was a coat of thinned satin fuel proofer used as a sanding sealer, this negates any issues with excess glue, such as BEB suffered, then 3 coats of patent knotting, (AKA shellac varnish) applied with a soft sponge or acrylic bristled glossing brush, both work well, then the entire fuselage will get a coat or two of gloss fuel proofer.

Edited By Phil Winks on 20/09/2014 22:42:50

Thanks Chris, yes it does so much so that I haven't flown for 10 days either frown that just won't do !!

another bit of progress on this though, in between work and restoring the clubs Tutor 40 to a "fit to fly state"

the wing has been progressing slowly in the background, and now I've cut the main wing brace too

picture 043 df 2014.jpg

the stepped portion under the center of the brace still needs fettling so the wing sits as it should but that will happen when the other wing panel is made and I can dry fit it all to check alignment, most of today has been spent with fuelproofer fumes abounding as I've progressed the tail feathers and fuselage

• 5 weeks later...

Not a great deal done since before I went on holiday, however I've just spotted this fella at real model pilots the 1/10th bust comes out at 9g seems very light, no doubt the detail is superb, and unpainted he is just £9.95 really tempted I must say, mind you the option to have my own face in there is proper tempting (not) surprise

I finally got some more shed (sanctuary) time on the DF and now I have the main wing well under way

picture 044 df 2014.jpg

The 1/8th square strip round the outer edge of the wing tip panel was soaked in boiling water (from the kettle) wiped dry and then it bent into the curve quite nicely, I will have to leave it a full 24hrs though for the aliphatic glue to dry fully. I'm thinking the front quarter of the wing tip may be best done with a solid balsa block infill, to ensure the covering follows a convex curve over that area

Edited By Phil Winks on 26/10/2014 13:51:17

• 3 weeks later...

Finally I can show some proper progress with the wings, also the pilot has arrived from Sean at Real Model Pilots and what a job he has done, ok the detail and quality of the pilot is a tad OTT for a cartoon scale model but he is just so right for it.

Back to the wings, they have been joined and are all true and square with no unwanted twisting etc, Hard points and servo bays need fitting, and now I have the pilot I can sheet the cockpit area, the pilot will get a balsa insert underneath with magnets fitted and he will sit pretty much on top of the wing fixing bolt. I have also decided that due to the fact I've cut the main spar to allow the tank to fit I will be making the rigging structural as a belt and brace

Now the pics

picture 045 df 2014.jpg

picture 046 df 2014.jpg

picture 047 df 2014.jpg

I may yet cut a little from the base of the pilot to sit him a little lower in the cockpit.

Posted by john stones 1 on 15/11/2014 14:04:24:

He's a bit good Phil, I wouldn't like to know what he's thinking thoughsurprise

John

He's smiling cos he's got a real four stroke to play with John no leccy canary up front in this one cheeky

Colin your too kind blush nothing like a little pressure though, if your building smaller stuff and happy to do the painting RMP are pretty competitive plus you have the added bonus of being able to get a one of pilot, also its amazing how light they are this fella is approx 20g so much lighter than some of the mainstream model pilots out there

Edited By Phil Winks on 15/11/2014 16:10:31

Well one busy weekend later, in spite of laying 15 square m of decking and hanging 2 doors to a built in wardrobe I've also managed to get the wing ready for the upper deck covering

picture 048 df 2014.jpg

picture 049 df 2014.jpg

picture 050 df 2014.jpg

the metal wing bolt will be replaced with a nylon one before flight, also visible here are the silver steel dowels that locate the LE, once the top deck is on some foam will be inserted above the tank to dampen any vibration and hopefully negate any chance of the fuel foaming during flight

Thanks Dave, I'm starting to look forward to the Maiden now, Though it'll be a few weeks yet before she's ready then the usual wait for good weather and available time to coincide frown my on;ly concern at the min is she seems as though she's a tad nose heavy and there's not that much left to go on, though what there is is all rear of the COG so maybe it'll be alright on the night 

Edited By Phil Winks on 16/11/2014 21:07:17